1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Greek/Hebrew via distance or classroom?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by nkypastor, Jul 20, 2007.

1. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

One other question for you guys today.

Taking the M. Div. program distance-wise through Liberty. Martin, you said a few days back that Luther Rice allowed you to take Greek/Hebrew courses via distance learning. I would imagine this would be incredibly difficult! Anyways, I have to take Biblical languages or take what Liberty calls an "English Bible Track." I feel the Lord leading me to study the Biblical languages deeper, so that is what I will probably do. My question is this:

1. Would it be better for me to attend classes in a brick-and-mortar university (Cincinnati Christian University is only 15 minutes away), or would the courses from Luther Rice suffice. I suppose it would have to do with the learning styles of the individual. Any advice you all have?

Thanks....I'm done asking questions for today! :laugh:

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Personally, I would never ever attempt to do any language through distance learning.

3. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

That tends to be my thinking. Not only would it be extremely difficult, but at least by attending a traditional classroom setting at Cincinnati Christian University, the help and additional resources are there as I work through the courses! I was just curious to see if anyone here has attempted such course work through online learning.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The BIG downside of Liberty's distance learning MDiv program. I know they offered language courses during modular sessions when I was working through Liberty. So you may wish to check out that option. I had signed up for Hebrew that way but had to drop it due to a schedule conflict with work.

==I guess it depends upon you. If you are good with languages, and you are independent student, then you can probably do the courses via distance learning just fine. Otherwise you probably will need face-to-face interaction.

Several options: You can switch to either a seminary you can attend in person or that offers languages online or you could finish your MDiv at Liberty and then take the language courses at another school.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd take them at the local school. Greek and Hebrew are hard enough as-is. The person-to-person help is invaluable.