1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Greetings from the UK!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GraceBaptistUK, Sep 3, 2018.

1. GraceBaptistUK

GraceBaptistUK New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello all!

So... I'm Tim and live in Warrington, Cheshire. I'm really looking to find any other Baptists (reformed or otherwise) in the UK to have fellowship with. If that's you then please give me a shout - I'd love to hear from you.

Grace and peace,
    Tim

• Like Like x 1
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh no not another Calvinist?;)... You gonna love it here, if I didn't scare you away already:Biggrin... Welcome to the BB... Take off your coat and stay awhile... Brother Glen:)

3. GraceBaptistUK

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol. Yep, we're everywhere. A bit like rats... Wherever you go, you're never actually more than about six foot away from a Calvinist. Or something like that. ;-)

Thanks Glen! Appreciate the welcome.

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you know I was ribbing you... Here you have to have thick skin and a short memory... There is a brother named Covenanter from South Wales and another Matt Black from the UK and David Kent is also from England... Being here for quite awhile you get to know who comes and goes... TC who is one of the administrators on here is one and Dave Gilbert who recently joined is Calvinist... Me also I heavily lean that way... That's a heads up on some... Send them a private message, if you want to know more... Brother Glen:)

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome, and appreciate that you are a fellow Reformed baptist. Are you classic one, or more of a 1689 Federalist then?

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tim, welcome to the Baptist Board. Good to have another member join from the UK.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rats? LOL, several here prefer to self identify as 'DoGs' (for Doctrines of Grace).
    Example (although the 'out of the woodwork' language suggests another type of creatures as well):

8. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the forum, Tim. I live in Peterchurch in the Golden Valley - in England. We worship in Hay-on-Wye which is just in Wales. FIEC rather than Grace Baptist.

Ian

9. GraceBaptistUK

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, contrary to popular opinion, I find that a functional sense of humour is vital to surviving as a Calvinist. :) Thick skins and short memories are up there as well.
    OK, cool. That's good to know. It's harder than you'd think to find people on this side of the pond who are on the same page theologically speaking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GraceBaptistUK

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the welcome! I have to admit to being relatively new to confessionalism and so I wouldn't say I'm absolutely sure of my position of everything but I'm definitely a 1689er. It just seems to me to be a neater and more satisfying point of view.

11. GraceBaptistUK

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks so much! :)

12. GraceBaptistUK

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haha. I've never come across that one before. Possibly not the best name... 'Beware of DoGs. Beware of the circumcision.' and all that. ;-)

13. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not from the UK, but I lived there for three years when I was in the Air Force. BTW, welcome to the BB!

14. GraceBaptistUK

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Ian! Thanks for the welcome. Ah, OK. Well, I'd class myself as a Grace Baptist although I don't attend an officially grace baptist church. It's an independent baptist Chapel that's always been reformed in doctrine but it's also a member of the fiec.
    It's good to hear news of a witness in Wales. Things are dire in many areas over there too!

15. GraceBaptistUK

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah well, you're practically a local then! :) Thanks for the welcome. I feel like we should all be greeting each other with a secret handshake and 'Semper reformanda!' or something. ;-)

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love your icon: "certified cage-free Calvinist"!

Reminds me of this by Spurgeon:

"perhaps Calvin is made the standard and what business has any man to think a single thought beyond Calvin? Blessed be God, we have gone a little beyond that; and we can say, 'Increase our faith.' With all our admiration for these great standard divines, we are not prepared to shut ourselves up in their little iron cages; but we say, 'Open the door, and let me fly—let me still feel that I am at liberty. Increase my faith, and help me to believe a little more.' I know I can say I have had an increase of faith in one or two respects within the last few months. I could not, for a long time, see anything like the Millenium in the Scriptures; I could not much rejoice in the Second Coming of Christ, though I did believe it; but gradually my faith began to open to that subject, and I find it now a part of my meat and drink, to be looking for, as well as hastening unto, the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

• Like Like x 1
  17. GraceBaptistUK

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haha. It's probably a bit of a defence mechanism. I'm preempting the inevitable responses by saying 'Don't worry, I'm not one of THOSE Calvinists!' :)

Oh wow. I love that quote!! Good old CHS! So true...

18. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have family near Lymm which is not far from Warrington if my knowledge of England's geography is correct. Semper Reformanda!

19. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BUT - your ikon has 10 tulips, 5 of them upside down .....

20. GraceBaptistUK

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not far away at all. I can drive that way to work. It's a small world!