1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grocery Shopping secrets??

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by donnA, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Gayla

Gayla New Member

donnA,
    You can buy regular size cans but they are boxed or shrink-wrapped together in multiples of varying amounts. Some will have 2, some 4, 6 or 8, depends on the product or manufacturer I guess.

The TP and Paper towels are in huge packages. But you shouldn't run out for a while!! We've never bought the TP or towels there, don't have anywhere to store it. ;)

2. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

I think Sam's is worth it. Like I had said in my earlier post we only have HEB and Super Walmart and come to think of it Super Target and a store called Fiesta but the Super Target's way on the otherside of town ( and costs WAY too much) and Fiesta looks like they don't have much either. Sam's makes the most sense for us. We can get the good canned veggies (Del Monte) for a pretty good price. Not as cheap as getting the off brands but when your hubby don't like the cheap stuff Sam's is a good alternative. They also have excellent meat and it's alot cheaper than HEB. I pay about 2.88 (I think) for Sam's ground beef 10% fat and HEB charges 3.29-3.59 for the same fat percentage and Sam's meat taste better! Their frozen Veggies are also cheap.

My suggestion is asking around to see if you know of anyone with a card and ask to tag along next time they go and price things. One thing

I've noticed that Sam's vary in prices even within the town. I can get cheaper milk at the Sam's on the northside of town VS the one closer to home (southside) BUT both are way cheaper than the HEB.

3. Dina

Dina New Member

OH how I miss Aldi!!!!! The closest one to us is in Atlanta, not quite ready to make that trip for groceries yet.

We used to have a Sam's membership, then we heard aobut BJ's and it works better for us. Not sure if this is still how it is at Sam's but, this is why we decided to go with BJ's. The only forms of payment that Sam's took was Cash and Sam's/Wal-Mart or a Discover Credit card. BJ's took our Visa Check card. Sam's also would only take Sam's sale paper coupons, they would not take any maufacture's coupons, BJ's would. We also liked that BJ's was cleaner, and they had brands that were not the normal name brand. Membership there is about $40.00 a year. We save more than that in Milk alone.

4. Gayla

Gayla New Member

A couple weeks ago, we drove east to Waycross instead of west to Valdosta just for a change. If we want to go to 'The Mall' on a Saturday, it's only about 35 miles to Waycross and 55 miles to the Mall in Valdosta.
    There's a Kroger in Waycross. Had never shopped at Kroger before, so we went in. Got to looking around and the really good buy were the ones with their Kroger Plus savings card, so we got one. And just like lots of other places, you can save more buying the Store Label Brand.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

All we have here is Krogers, IGA, and Aldis.

Our Wal-Mart store just bought 69 acres adjacent to where they are now. Look like we're getting a Super Center. YUCK!

6. Gayla

Gayla New Member

In 2002, when we made our cross-country drive to Utah, we stopped somewhere in Missouri at a "Strip Mall" that had Sam's at one end, Wal-Mart Supercenter at the other, Lowe's, a Publix grocery store, and some other small stores. this thing was Huge!! and very crowded!!!

7. flourgirl

flourgirl New Member

My hubby is over the food section at Big Lots!!! So since he is an employee.... he gets a 20% discount on anything in the store, includung food, so that really comes in handy not only with food, but for many things. I am a coupon user.... I try to keep up with all of the fliers from the grocery store. Buy one get one frees are great, and if you have a coupon it is even better. Some grocery stores double and triple the coupons... some have reduced racks which are worth checking out. We have a salvage store, but I just don't take the time to go. I am a deli manager for a large grocery chain, spending time in the grocery store on my day off doing grocery shopping is not my favorite thing to do. Some grocery stores reduce their meats that are going out that day... you can get some really good deals in the mornings.. that is when they usally do them. And who ever said not to take your husband with you is ABSOLUTLY right!!!!!

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

If I didn't shop around for good prices, reduced items,and salvage stores I wouldn't be able to buy food for the whole month. I have always felt that as a wife it was part of what I am to do, find bargains to save my husband money, and at the same time supply good home cooked meals for him, and not feed him the same foods all the time, but try new stuff, keep it interesting for him. I keep up with prices and research new recipes with ingredients I can not only afford, but that I already know he likes, or suspect he will like the combinations. Everynow and then I try a new ingredient we haven't had before to see if we like it. If so we have something new to add to the list. When we got married nearly 25 years ago he didn't eat pork chops(his mothers were awful over cooked till crispy), rice, pasta other then mac and cheese and hamburger helper, iced tea. Now we have all those and he likes them.

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Fruit and veg in Oz is cheap and does not attract a GST (tax). I go for the seasonal froot and veg because I like tasty food rather than pretty food.

It has taken me a long while to get over the fact to have a good feed you do not have to have meat at each meal. Pasta is filling and cheap. I have a great recipe book from my grand mas day which included the Depression, and so it is a great source of inspiration for cheap meals. Cheaper cuts do require longer cooking..... which can be a big deal for our time poor life style.

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Cheaper cuts do really well in a crock pot and it is ready when you get home from work!

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Love those crock pots Sue. I remembered we were talking about cooking meat in a crock pot a few weeks ago, about not adding liuquid to meats. Well I cooked a turkey breast Satruday, didn't add a bit of liquid. It came out with about 2 cups of turkey broth, and was very tender, didn't stick either.

12. flourgirl

flourgirl New Member

I love crockpot recipies!!!! I have to work late some nights, and they are perfect for hubby's dinner. He can serve himself, and I don't have to worry about what he is going to eat for dinner.... They are easy to prepare, and clean up is a breeze!!! :D