1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grow in the Grace and Knowledge

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thousand Hills, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

I recently bumped a poll pertaining to age distribution on BB, I'm one of the younger guys here. Most of my life I've felt like a bit of a "lone wolf" Christian. We are called to "Grow in the Grace and Knowledge of our Lord and Saviour", my question is has there been someone influential in your life that has helped you mature into the believer you are today, someone who has taken you under their wing. A family member, former pastor, deacon, choir member, SS teacher, or favorite professor. I'm not talking about idolizing people, of course all of our spirtual growth comes from our relationship with Christ and God's word. But how has God used others to help you in this journey?

Although i've never had a "mentor" or someone take the time to disciple me, I have been blessed to be surrounded with Godly people. I look at the marriage of the Smiths, and see how God has provided for them and how happy they seem after 50 years of marriage/service to the Lord. I look at Sister Sue in the choir and her concern for writing down prayer requests and being fervrent in prayer. Or I look at Brother Dave and his optimism, or Brother Ned and his calm demeanor/sweet spirit despite troubles in the church.

I ask this question because our faith is relational, and at times I would like to have somebody to tell me I'm out of line, or I'm looking at this or that all wrong, or I need to focus on this or that. (To an extent I guess my wife does those things :laugh:) And of course, if I'm in the Word like I should be the H.S will do that as well. Anyways, what says you? How has God used other believers in your life to help you mature in the faith, and how is God using you to help others mature in the faith?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do see a number of women at church as kind of my "mothers in the Lord". I also have a few friends who are a few years older than me that I count as dear sweet friends who I know would correct me whenever I need it. :) I agree that it's important that we feed into others and allow others to feed into us as we grow and mature in the faith. I pray that I'm doing that not only with my own children but with some of the young women in our church as well.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

IMHO, no matter our age, we still need someone in our lives to help us mature in our faith.

While I was away from the church, my years advanced, but my maturity didn't, I'm very sad to say. More than once I've talked to our pastor about regret of all the opportunities that were lost during that time. And for the yearning -- hunger -- to try to make up for some of it.

When I was saved, as a teen, I was sprinkled rather than being immersed. Our pastor chose the potter's wheel as the subject of his sermon the morning I was re-baptised. It couldn't have been more appropriate, as this oldtimer is being reshaped into what God wants this lump of clay to become.

While the Holy Spirit is the potter's hands, He has helpers. My pastor is my mentor. He's helped knock off a few burrs, when he's challenged what I "think" I believe. Creation vs evolution was a rough one, after being indroctinated (sp) for over 50 years by the secular world.

As the scales are falling away from my eyes I'm also *seeing* the influence other Godly people have and had in my life. Long gone now, my parents are still teaching me what I failed to learn from them, back then. The strength of my father's faith. The diligence of my mother as she prepared to teach Sunday school.

Thousand Hills, while age is a factor, as it takes time to grow in maturity, it isn't the only one. My pastor is my little brother. Our choir director's faith shines in her life. Yet, she could be my great granddaughter. She's mentoring others (self included) of the joy in praising God in song.

In closing, I know the Holy Spirit has led me to this place in time for more than one purpose. Some I've seen. Others yet to be revealed, and maybe not until I'm called home. That's where I'll learn how I've been used to help others mature in their faith. My prayer is that He will say "Well done my good and faithful servant".

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I had the blessing of a mentor who helped me grow in my faith early on in my Christian walk. He introduced me to Bible study (more than mere reading, but chasing references, looking at types and anti-types, examining the cultural references, etc.). I would probably be where I am today if I did not have this man, but I grew more quickly, and sadly, the senior pastor at that time was not much for discipleship except for ordering books and making people come to church to what amounted to grade school homework by filling in blanks on pages.

Since then, I have returned the favor multiple times and have been/am a mentor to multiple young and not-so-young men. My wife often participates in a joint mentorship of the wife of whomever I am discipling.

Among the persons I have worked with in a pure mentor relationship (on top of all the people in the congregations I have led): One man who later dropped out of seminary when he discovered that God was not really calling him to that level of ministry -- he is effective in his local church and his marriage is restored, praise God, from the damage done while fighting through something that he was ill-advised to take up. Two of the elders from a mega-church that we used to attend, one of whom is the worship leader, the other the spiritual advisor to the pastor. Another young man who is now in pastor school at Sojourn. And, I have yet another "Timothy" who surrendered into ministry during my first sermon at my new church. We start this week...

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    TH

http://www.christianbook.com/grow-i...51515571/pd/1515576?event=AFF&p=1133438&#curr

click on additional views you can read a sample of this book...and here is another one
    http://www.christianbook.com/the-ch...51515168/pd/1515169?event=AFF&p=1133438&#curr
    he is currently a pastor in columbia sc...excellent in the pulpit,and with the pen....if you buy these books and do not like them..i will buy them from you..