1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Growing in doctrine

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by nashpd, Feb 6, 2010.

1. nashpd

nashpd Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello all,

I wanted to know how someone finds their way through to a platform such as Baptist Board and grow. Knowing the doctrinal ways and resources to look at. Dictionaries and commentaries to reach out to or avoid.

Where are noted writers mistaken or in error...etc...all those questions...

Of course the local church has all authority and many thanks be to the local body He has blessed us with. But if we are glorifying Him here online, we might as well let the new ones be edified and supplement them in their walk by nourishing them in the Word.

For a start I want to know the books I procure if I want to start a library in my home. I'm 27 and I do understand I have a responsibility for Him. I can't waste my life believing He will make things happen. I definitely need to learn His Word and focus and study it.

I am a lay person working in the secular field, but my first love is His Word. I have failed in the past, and so have each one of us! let's glorify Him. Look forward to hearing from brothers in Christ.

Yours in Him,

Nash David

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. wattie

wattie New Member

You probably already know this too..

but always remember to put verses in context.

like 'faith without works is dead' in James.. what is the context?

It has Abraham being justified by works in offering up his son Isaac
    Rahab hiding those men and being justified by works
    And the first example James gives is of seeing someone in need and not helping them..

so all are not about receiving eternal life, but about acts of service to God.

So the are justified in that God accepts there acts as right.. not that they are actually eternally accepted by them.

So 'faith without works is dead'.. is not 'faith without works means loss of salvation.. or no salvation in the first place' but 'without using the presence of the Holy Spirit in you.. your faith is dormant and unused.'

How is this so?

Well the bible doesn't contradict.. and remember Galatians chapter 2:

being justified by the faith of Christ.. not by works.. for by works of the law shall no flesh be justified..