1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H.K. pneumonia scare hits airlines

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Sherrie, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

H.K. pneumonia scare hits airlines

HONG KONG - International airlines felt the direct impact of a killer pneumonia outbreak after experts called for passenger screening and a Singaporean stewardess was hospitalized as a suspected case.

As the global death toll hit 54 with more than 1,400 cases recorded, more travellers were cancelling trips or being warned against travel to Asia, where the worst outbreaks have occurred in Hong Kong and southern China.

The World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday recommended that countries most affected by the disease start screening international passengers at airports, but stopped short of calling for outright travel restrictions.

Fears of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), an unusual form of pneumonia, have also begun to be felt in the exhibition industry, with foreign participants pulling out of an international bicycle trade fair in Taiwan.

Taiwan joined Singapore and Hong Kong in invoking quarantine laws, and in a further sign of creeping public panic, a bank in Singapore complained to financial authorities that one of its branches was hit by SARS rumors allegedly spread by a competitor.

In a new development the WHO confirmed four people were suffering from atypical pneumonia in Shanghai, the first time suspected SARS cases have been discovered in the eastern Chinese metropolis.

Share prices of Singapore Airlines (SIA), Cathay Pacific and Qantas, three of Asia's top carriers, took a hit Friday on fears that the SARS scare, in addition to the war in Iraq, would eat into their revenues.

The entire crew of SIA's flight SQ25 from New York to Frankfurt on March 14 has been grounded after three passengers fell ill with SARS.

A stewardess who had attended to a Singaporean doctor, his wife and mother-in-law -- later quarantined in Frankfurt -- is "currently being treated in hospital for SARS and is in a stable condition," an SIA spokesman said.
    abs-cbnNEWS.com monitor

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/abs_news_flash_article.asp?FlashOID=7567

Sherrie

2. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you know that this outbreak started LAST NOVEMBER in China?!?!
    Only two days ago did China release the report that 39 had died and 797 are diagnosed with SARS.
    :mad:

School's closed here for 10 days. But the kids are hitting the malls. :rolleyes:

3. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

So then Su...what is the prpose of being out of school. Well was any of your family hit by this?

Sherrie

4. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    precisely! some kids just think they're indestructable!

It's pretty scary, this SARS disease (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome). It has already claimed the lives of four in my country. quite afew are fighting for their lives in the ICU so the number is expected to climb.

WHO has named Vietnam, CHina (Guangdong and Beijing), HongKong, and even now Canada, (Ontario, i think) as hotspots for the disease.

Austraila is threatening to bar entry of visitors coming from these places.

110 people in a single apartment block in HK got infected with SARS because there was one case living there. Highly contagious.

Here in Singapore, in hope to contain the spread, the govt. has placed anyone who had come into contact with anyone who has been infected under strict quarentine. And airport checks anyone coming in from affected countries who appears sick.

All of us at church are reminded of how the Lord promised that there will be pestilence and wars in the end times.

5. ventin

ventin New Member

Hi Su Wei, [​IMG]
    glad to see a Singaporean here. which church r u attending? my pastor mentioned this to us also.

All of us at church are reminded of how the Lord promised that there will be pestilence and wars in the end times.

May the Lord watch over us all

6. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Ventin! [​IMG] Ni hao ma?

I'm from Maranatha Baptist Church. Currently holding services at The Helping Hand (the christian Drug rehab).

And you? [​IMG]

7. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Su and Ventin! I heard on the news it is getting worse and more have died.

What do you all hear?

Sherrie

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

Hello Sue,

I travel to China, on business, frequently and stay in HK on weekends (when I can, I try to attend the International Baptist Church in Aberdeen - Emory Gaskins, pastor). The plants that a travel to are mostly in Guangdong.

I was there in mid-November to early December last year and again in February of this year. My feeling is that the folks who are dying of this illness are folks who either have weakened immune systems already and/or folks who don't get treatment until it is too late.

You know more than most on this board the way that many Chinese nationals view modern medicine (recall shortages of vinegar in all of the stores earlier this year, the deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning caused by boiling vinegar with a charcoal stove in unventilated rooms, etc...).

It is possible that this could be avoided the way that flu epidemics are avoided in the US: by quick treatment and preventative shots, etc...?

I don't know where you are but I am praying for you and for the m's in the region.

9. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Epidemic to hit growth: analysts

Jonathan Tam and Eli Lau

The pneumonia epidemic could not have come at a worse time for Hong Kong's fledgling economic recovery, with analysts saying it could trim up to 0.5 percentage points off this year's growth.

``If SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) cannot be brought under control quickly, the Hong Kong economy may be damaged,'' said ABN Amro Asian chief economist Eddie Wong, who has cut Hong Kong's economic growth forecast this year by 0.5 percentage points to 3.5 per cent, assuming the disease can be controlled in the next month.

Economists at Merrill Lynch and JP Morgan Chase said the epidemic would cut economic growth by between 0.2 to 0.5 percentage points - if the problem was short-term.

``The bigger potential problems are cutbacks in business travel, which would hit external trade, and the risk of the infection spreading to the industrial area in the Pearl River Delta,'' Wong said.

The rest of the article can be read at this web page:

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/thestandard/topstory.cfm

26 Filipinos in HK sealed

Posted: 0:13 AM (Manila Time) | Apr. 02, 2003
    By Cookie Micaller, Contributor
    Inquirer News Service

Public housing

HONG KONG -- The Philippine Consulate General said Tuesday it was checking the condition of at least 26 Filipinos who are living in the 33-story Amoy Gardens public housing, which was sealed on Monday in an unprecedented move by Hong Kong authorities to contain the spread of the deadly Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) that has downed 185 residents in the area.

The mysterious illness has now infected some 1,700 people in 15 countries and killed at least 62 people, 34 of them in China and 15 in Hong Kong.

More than 600 people have been infected in the former British territory.

Also Tuesday, Australia announced its first case -- a man who had been to Singapore where tough quarantine measures are now in place. He has recovered and the illness has not spread, health authorities said.

Struggling to contain the worldwide spread of the deadly flu-like illness, worried Asian governments have ordered tougher infection screening of air travelers and imposed other emergency measures.

Taiwan banned boats from sailing between an outlying island chain and mainland China.

In Canada, where a health emergency has been declared in Ontario province, Toronto authorities reported that at least two children had been hospitalized with the disease, and three others had symptoms.

The rest of the article can be read at this web page:

http://www.philnews.com/

It is certainly something for all of us to be worried about.

Sherrie

10. rainbow

rainbow New Member

Peace,dear sister in the LOrd, I'm not getting the smallpox vaccine either.....just remember that we are living in some very interesting days, and each day will bring about another conflict of one thing or another......We have a great God and Savior who is taking care of us all along lifes' way....He will never forsake us or lead us astray.......we have to continually trust Him to take care of our loved ones, families and friends......He has not let us down yet and I don't believe He will........now is the time to continue to encourage one another in the faith....STAY IN THE WORD .PRAY more diligently and continue to LOVE ONE ANOTHER ....

[​IMG] ..remember to keep our eyes and hearts to the skies......our redemption draws near!!!!!!! nearer today than yesterday,and maybe closer than our next breath.......again I say to you Peace, be still,and know that I AM GOD> your friend from oHIo...... [​IMG] .Sharon T.

11. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Yes Sharon (rainbow) you are so right. Pray for those families where their members are dieing of this sickness, and for those whose family members are already passed on, and pray for those weak in this sickness. We must stop it beforer it gets any further along. Pray Gods glory will shine above all this. For he is worthy of it all.

Virus Quarantines Flight From Tokyo
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

AN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- An American Airlines flight from Tokyo was quarantined on the tarmac at San Jose's airport Tuesday after four people on board complained of symptoms like those reported from the mysterious new illness spreading through Asia, airline and city health officials said.

Two passengers and two crew members complained of symptoms similar to those found in severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, according to city health officials.

Flight 128 from Tokyo to Mineta San Jose International Airport was stopped on the tarmac short of the gate, and ambulances lined up near the plane as the 125 passengers and 14 crew members waited on board.

American Airlines notified the airport that help was needed after "the captain was informed of a passenger needing medical assistance," said Todd Burke, a spokesman for the airline.

More than 1,600 cases of the illness have been reported so far worldwide, with at least 64 deaths. Officials say it's unclear whether exposure on a flight is sufficient to infect people.

For more of this story go to:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/01/health/01WIRE-ILLN.html

Sherrie

12. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Johnathan, no, it is not because of slow response or ignorance to the illness that people are dying.

our people here are getting first class medical attention and monitored from the very first symptoms and people are still dying. [​IMG]
    This disease is not something we can beat even with the medical care. (At the moment)
    It is very virulent. (If i used the word correctly.)

The second to die of the disease here was a pastor who went to the hospital to pray for a victim. Since then, all victims have been denied visitors in the hospital!

There was an American businessman to HK that contracted SARS and died in America.

Watch out America!!! Canada has 4 deaths and 129 dianosed cases. There have been deaths around Europe too.

You can check out more info here, our local newspaper. See the archive of the previous few days:The Straits Times

Sherrie,all we really can do is pray that God be merciful to us. And again, all this is in fulfilling of prophecy. Us in church have been reminded of the urgency of sharing the Gospel, especially to unsaved loved ones.

Matthew 24:6-8 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Even so, Lord Jesus, come.

13. ventin

ventin New Member

i am from Shaddai Baptist Church... pls send my regards to Ps Mak.

14. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] this is exciting! we probably have met before, then. ;) I play the cello in the church orchestra.

15. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hope you're not intending to travel to those places anytime soon coz the WHO is advising people not to fly to both Guangdong and HK!