1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H.r. 1955

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Oct 24, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The House also voted 404-6 Tuesday to create a national commission to study the causes and the means to prevent homegrown terrorism. The commission is to look into the social, criminal, political, psychological and economic roots of domestic terrorism, said Rep. Jane Harman, D-Calif., sponsor with Rep. David Reichert, R-Wash.

"Free speech, espousing even very radical beliefs, is protected by our Constitution — but violent behavior is not," she said. "Our plan must be to intervene before a person crosses that line separating radical views from violent behavior."

The bill also directs the Homeland Security Department to establish a university-based Center of Excellence for the Study of Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism to coordinate research on terrorism.

- http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ijxFJjj9U0kTBO67xJPcV4M9gSgA

I can save the Congress a lot of time and trouble. There are bad people on this earth who do bad things.

Here's a novel idea - how about the federal government doing their best to prevent violent behavior, maybe by doing, oh I don't know, maybe something really, really radical such as protecting our BORDERS.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Not sure that's constitutional.

The study is about "home grown terrorism." Protecting our borders won't stop that, unless by borders you mean something other than you usually mean.

(Sometimes you get on a hobby horse and you bring it up no matter whether or not it's relevant to the topic at hand.)

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Where you been Pastor Larry? I assume its not campaigning for Hillary. Anyway, good to see you again.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that.

My point is that the federal government appears to be increasingly interested in punishing thought as in this bill and hate crimes bills instead of punishing behavior such as coming into this country illegally and instead attempting to reward illegal behavior through vehicles such as the DREAM Act.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree with Ken. The fact that Congress is spending time and money doing this is a monumental waste.

How did the House members running for President vote?