1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H5N1 Hits England

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by mnw, Feb 3, 2007.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

News came today that the Avian Flu H5N1 has definitely hit our shores.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/6327193.stm

What concerns me is the speed at which it spread:

"The first deaths happened on Tuesday 30 January when 71 chicks died, said Defra.

A further 186 died the following day and 860 died on 1 February.

Some 1,500 died on Thursday, making a total of 2,617."
    Can you imagine what something like this could do in the human population?

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm afraid the only way I can cope with this is to make light of the situation:

"Bernard's Turkey Sizzlers - bootiful!"

"Didn't we just have Christmas?"

"I won't get bird flu - I'm a bloke."

"Is bird flu the female equivalent of 'man flu'?"

3. mnw

mnw New Member

The first two, not so sure about.

The second two - great!

What I do not get about this whole thing is there turkeys were kept inside their whole, short, sad lives.

Plus, even if it were by some migrating bird this is not the right season really.

4. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Sounds like another frozen mars bar conspiracy theory!! What I don't get is why the government has supposedly stock piled medication in advance of some pandemic. (Pity you in N.I. - you'll be the last to receive it!). If we can't catch anything from the poultry and why do we need an antedote to the flu? And, if the flu hasn't actually mutated yet, how do we know the antedote we have will work? Sounds a bit crazy to me.

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The latest theory is the virus might have come from Hungary (cue yet more lame puns about eating turkeys because you're Hungary). The H5N1 virus could mutate, particularly if it comes in contact with a human flu virus; the antiviral drugs ('vaccines') are not really vaccines but a broad-spectrum treatment for flu-type viruses which can ease the symptoms; they are neither a cure or a vaccine.

6. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cheers, my wife is English and is heading over there for a couple of weeks in early March to hopefully witness to her dying grandmother and to other members of her family.

Is there anything she needs to know about what food to avoid or what not to get near? I was stationed over in England from 88-90 and I still to this day can not give blood because of the mad cow scare...

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Just turkey ATM. So far (ie given the virus does not mutate), it's not so much a matter of avoiding certain foods as avoiding working with poultry and handling the carcasses - that's the only way so far that humans (notably in Vietnam) have contracted the virus. Eating cooked meat shouldn't be a problem.

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

It seems that the Hungarian connection is indeed the most likely culprit; looks like we're dealing with a poultry-to-poultry communication, not wild birds.

9. mnw

mnw New Member

It still does not make sense to me.

If it came from a turkey from Turkey (gotta love it) then I have several queries:

1. How did the infected turkey from Turkey (forgive me) survive the journey?

2. Why is there not an outbreak in Turkey where the turkey came from?

I am sure there are answers, but it all seems a bit mixed up to me.