1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Habitual Sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Do you believe that if someone continually commits the same sin, over and over, asks God for forgiveness, repents, and continues to commit the habitual sin, is this person saved? Would they be living in sin?

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Is this person named ShotGunWillie? Just kidding, but your question is so loaded I don't think there's a good answer for it.

3. Joe

Joe New Member

Depends upon the sin. Some sins are called an abomination.

We are all habitual sinners.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sins of omission happen to all believers every day. That doesn't affect their righteousness.

5. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

No, but I figured I would get a response like.

I understand that, but does everyone commit the same sins on a daily basis. I take habitual sins to be what are done routinely, no matter how much they struggle with it, they are routine and have become second nature to the person. I understand that we will be a new creature in Christ, but if the person gives into the flesh, it becomes routine again.

6. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I am talking like, cussing, drinking, smoking, un-Christ-like thoughts, things of this nature, just to name some.

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

Is the person still convicted by and of their sin? Do they continue to feel remorse and regret? These can infact be evidences of salvation.

I believe sanctification should be viewed as a gift of the sprit not as a work of the flesh. It is God himself that will free us from our sins. Ask for forgiveness, but also ask for a change in your heart and a change in your actions. What can you do to keep from this sin in the future.

To take a 'safe' example from those listed by you shotgun, lets take cussing. Are you convicted by your use of poor language, do you want to be free from that sin. There are definite steps you can take. The quarter jar or cussing jar at the house you put money into, a brother at work who prays for you and holds you accountable. In my case, taking the Lord's name in vain became a song. Lets say I crush my toe under a piece of machinery. I may at one time have yelled out the name Jesus. Now if I exclaim the name Jesus I just follow it up with a song. so it goes like this:
    1. Crush toe
    2. Tentmaker says, "Jesus"
    3. Tentmaker sings (in a very poor voice) "keep me near the cross. . . . "

This may sound silly and lame to you, but it worked for me.

Jesus frees us from the penalty of our sins, but he can also free us from our sins themselves. If we let him.

8. standingfirminChrist

If we as Christians are dead to sin, how can we continue in them? The true child of God will not produce the same sins over and over.

9. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Oh boy, then I am lost. I have, on occasion, a cuss fly out my mouth. I smoke cigars and like a nice cold beer.

Write me off I guess.

10. standingfirminChrist

If the person continues in the same sin over and over, that one was not convicted (convinced). That one may have had a legal repentance, but not a godly one. Sorry they got caught, not sorry they did it.

As to the Crush toe thing...

I did not crush my toe, but I got whacked in the knee with a 4 pound sledge when I lived in Ramseur. By my pastor, no less!.

The first words out of my mouth were, 'Praise the Lord!' And somehow it did not hurt as bad (although my knee was swollen fro days).

11. Joe

Joe New Member

Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. Matthew 7:17

Overall, is this person bearing good fruit? Even good fruit can have a worm or two and still be edible.

Smoking is not sin that I am aware of. Neither is drinking unless one becomes drunk. Unchristlike is something we all are, likely every day at some point.

Our pastor at our first church was committing adultery, he was asked to step down a year after we left. That church had more sexual sin....oh my but even during the time he was committing this sin, I believe he was saved. I knew him fairly well at the time.
    Tentmaker brought up whether the person is convicted by god and ignoring it, I believe that makes a difference.

Joe

#11 Joe, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2007
  12. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Habitual sin? Does that include the acceptable sins... like speeding?
    ...or only unacceptable sins like those you listed?

Rob

14. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Never heard of acceptable sins, do you have a list?

Okay, let's add some more to my wonderful list, lying, cheating people, lusting after women (in their heart and mind).

If the person feels regret and shame and repent, not that they got caught, but because they did it again, is that a sign of their salvation or just that they are ashamed.

15. Dewey Sturgell

Dewey Sturgell New Member

Well Brother, Paul wrote : in ROMANS 7:8
    But sin, taking occasian by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead
    ROMANS 7:9
    For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
    ROMANS 7:10
    And the commandment,which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
    ROMANS 7:11
    For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, decieved me, and by it slew me.
    ROMANS 7:12
    Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
    ROMANS 7:13
    Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid.But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
    ROMANS 7:14
    For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
    ROMANS 7:15
    For that which I do I allow not: for what I would , that I do not; but what I hate , that do I.
    ROMANS 7:16
    If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
    ROMANS 7:17
    Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
    ROMANS 7:18
    For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to preform that which is good I find not.
    ROMANS 7:19
    For the good that I would do I do not: but the evil which I would not do, that I do.
    ROMANS 7:20
    Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
    ROMANS 7:21
    I find then a law, that, when I would do good ,evil is is present with me.
    ROMANS 7:22
    For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
    For my understanding of this passage from Brother Paul in the book of Romans , He is telling us that we can not ecape sin even if it is something we do over and over again , because it is of the flesh and a law that evil is present when we go to do good, for the inward man seeks Gods law, hope this helps, may the Grce of God be with you, amen

16. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Now here's a sacred cow if I've ever seen one. How about gossiping?

I think one just need read this board for a few days and see some of the attitudes and the name-calling and one can tell straight way that there are "saved" folks that not only continue in their action, but have no remorse and certainly are repentant about it.

So I guess all that to say yes a person can be a habitual sinner and can still be saved. But there are consequences for those actions and/or inactions and I would NOT recommend that lifestyle!

17. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

Habitual self-righteousness is one many are guilty of while they are busy judging who is and isn't saved or probably isn't saved based on the sins THOSE people commit that apparently are distasteful to the self-righteous Christian. :laugh: :laugh:

18. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

My belief is that it all depends on who or what is lord of your life. The rich young ruler found that his money was lord of his life and that Christ's offer of salvation was secondary to his wealth. Those who have Christ as the Lord of their lives will sin but by their born again nature repent and go back to following Him.