1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hacked

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by preacher, Feb 18, 2007.

1. preacher

preacher New Member

wondering if somehere might know what could be done about , or to, someone that hacked into another board I'm a member of. They were able somehow to get usenames & passwords of many members, then went into their profiles to gather what ever personal info they could...city state, address.
    They managed to create a lot of havoc, & grief with the way some info was used. We've deleted all personal info for now...but don't know how many it'll be too late for.
    I'm just wondering if this would be considered a federal offense or something less. Or because its a public board will there be anything that can be done.

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

As an owner of a board myself I am curious what kind of "havoc" did the create?

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

It is a federal offense . . . from UTA

Available at: http://www.uta.edu/english/V/students/collab4/lori.htm

4. kubel

kubel New Member

Definitely a felony. If the hacker and the server were in different states, it becomes federal. If the server was compromised, don't trust it until it's been formatted.

5. preacher

preacher New Member

Sorry its taken so long to get back...appreciate the info.
    The havoc was that this person used the info to try to get "illegal" pet owners in trouble. Most here know about BH, my squirrel buddy. Well thats the kind of animals that have been confiscated in two other states Sat. evening. These folks were either truing to raise some up till they were old enough to care for them selves, or as in the case of BH...crippled & can never be released. Must be cared for or killed. This person would rather see them dead I guess. I mean game wardens showed up, with search warrants for two (that I know of) different folks & took the animals...plus one was given a citation. That could wind up happening to me too.
    But breaking the law to enforce the law? And over some little creatures that never did anything but need some care.
    Anyway, thats the gist of it. The owner of the board still isn't sure of how the info was gotten to, but he's doing all possible to see it don't happen again.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Preacher,

I feel for you . . .

However, IMHO, it seems that you have admitted to what you are doing being wrong? That of course does not make it 'legal' for someone to commit a felony.

I will be praying for you.

7. preacher

preacher New Member

Yes I'm in the wrong according to mans law....but I believe His word teaches us we have a responsibility to all life. I know we use animale in many different ways every day, we have dominion over this earth in that sense. But with that comes responsibility too. We're not to kill any thing just for the sake of killing it. Thats what happened today & yesterday & that goes against His word. I may still have a gamewarden come knocking on my door, & if he has a warrant that demands I hand BH over I'll do it. I won't like it but I'll do it.
    But the person that did this commited a greater crime to "right" a lesser crime. Thats what burns me.
    Sorry, its been a really bad time. I do thank all for the responses.

#7 preacher, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you sure it was an "illegal" hack?

Two things here: If game wardens showed up based on illegally obtained information, they were in the wrong.

Second, it's entirely possible it was a legal hack; meaning, it was done by somebody who had a search warrant, or was employed by someone with a search warrant.

9. preacher

preacher New Member

Well ... you are right on both as far as I know, but on the first...the way laws operate today...who can do anything.
    On the second...I would really hope they had more important things to do with their resources than to track down some "illegal squirrel" owners. Course in this day & age...who knows? At least no one has showed up here yet. If someone was mistreating...or even sell animals I could understand. But just to get someone in trouble that was trying to care for them,,,no sense at all.

10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "they had more important things to do with their resources " Ya, right, as if there is something more important than enforcing seat belt laws and pedestrian laws. Sure they are important but running stings a week at a time to catch people doing such terrible things while the crime rate goes up, people speed, run red lights and drive like nuts while they get the big offenders :BangHead:

Our govenrment is buring us in laws and taxation :tonofbricks: