1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hair length/head covering

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jewel, Feb 8, 2008.

1. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

The link you provided does not take all of the witness of Scripture into account. Women have played an important role in the people of God from the beginning, even leadership roles. A few names should suffice: Miriam, Deborah, Lydia, Chloe, Priscilla/Prisca, Junia, Euodia, Syntyche, etc. Plus, in 1 Cor 11.2-16 Paul presupposes that women are praying and prophesying in public worship and he does not reprimand them for this in anyway. Now I am not going to say that the issue is simple, there are texts that indicated the opposite, such as those in the link you provided. However, to claim that "modernism and humanism" are what have led people to claim that Scripture says women should be have leadership positions is just wrong-headed. There are many text in the Bible which indicate that women DID in fact have leadership roles!

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I'm sure I won't be the only woman (or man for that fact) to disagree with your assessment...

I have short hair and have NEVER been mistaken for a man!

Also, my hair is a matter of convenience....not rebellion.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

[​IMG]

Whatta croc!!

4. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

Are you sure?

Several times I have mistaken a long haired man for a woman from behind and NEVER said anything to that person.

I have also driven by women that looked like men and didn´t realize they wera a female until they turned around.

Also we have driven by people who you couldn´t tell one way or another and my husband and I turn to each other after a couple of seconds and say, "I have NO idea!"

I don´t know you I AM Blessed 17 so I am not making a judgement call, just an observation.

5. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

I wear my hair short, and I have been mistaken for a guy on more than one occasion! :laugh: Usually it is from behind and a result of the combination of short hair and the fact that I like to wear jeans and hoodies, which are not exactly feminine...go figure, I'm a truck driver (albeit on sabbatical while raising kids at the moment). So, ask me if I care...my hubby is absolutely positive that I am 100% woman, and his opinion is the only one I'm worried about. Someday I might decide to grow my hair again, but it's not likely because I have gotten so used to wearing it this way, though it started as a matter of convenience...it's a lot harder for babies to pull when it's as short as I tend to keep it! :laugh:

6. Joe

Joe New Member

I wear my hair long, and have been mistaken for a woman on more than one occasion! :laugh: Usually it is from behind and a result of the combination of long hair and the fact that I like to wear miniskirts and scarfs which are not exactly masculine....go figure, I'm a go go dancer (albeit on sabbatical while raising my kids at the moment) So, ask me if I care...my wife is absolutely positive that I am 100% man, and her opinion is the only one I'm worried about. Someday I might decide to cut my hair again, but it's not likely because I have gotten so used to wearing it this way, though it started as matter of convenience..it's a lot harder for babies to know whether I am Mom or Dad when it's so long as I tend to keep it. :laugh:

#46 Joe, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  7. I Am Blessed 24

Well, if anyone mistakes me for a man with my hair curled, make-up, skirt and blouse....they have the problem - not me.

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

:thumbs:

1 Corinthians 11:14-15 (KJV)
    14: Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
    15: But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

9. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

:laugh:

This was better then ANY joke you have EVER posted!!!!

10. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

This thread reminds me of a story. Hopefully I won't get it too much trouble for telling it here.

A couple of years ago my family got to take the vacation of a lifetime to a resort just south of Cancun, Mexico. When I booked the trip, some of the resorts were labeled "Adult" and some were labeled "Family". I thought I understood what would be going on at the adult resort, so I chose family thinking there wouldn't be any of that sort of stuff there. I was wrong.

The first morning we were there, I got up before the rest of the family and took a walk down the beach. You can imagine my surprise when I meet a young lady walking towards me with no top on. The thing is, she was almost as tall as me (I'm 6'2") and she had very short hair. I was looking at her, trying to make sense out of what I was seeing, and (I promise, these were the exact words in my head) I thought, "Wow! That is one messed up dude!"

Instead of being shocked at seeing a topless sunbather, I was wanting to go over and pray for HIS deformities. :laugh:

11. danthebaptist

danthebaptist New Member

Let me jump in and throw in my nickels worth.

First off, why would a Christian woman wear war paint and want cut hair?

I Cor. 11 is plain about the length of hair. No one can argue it is OK for a man's hair to be long or a woman's short. In fact the verse says, "Doth not nature itself teach you.'

I don't know about you all, but there is a certain length at which when a man's hair reaches, it suddenly becomes unnatural.

The same for a woman, long might be a relative term but there is a point at which if a woman cuts her hair to it, it becomes unnatural and disgusting.

Now, should a woman cover?

Good question. Do you realize head covering was what brought Roger Williams in trouble with the powers that be in Mass. and not baptism like so many think?

I believe for the sake of being scripturally correct, a sister should cover. 150 years ago we would not be having this discussion, but as one woman wrote, she cuts her hair for "convenience" I'm afraid we've gotten in the habit of doing all kinds of things in the name of convenience that are unnatural and unscriptural.

Surely a woman's hair should be long. It is God's natural covering and perhaps having long hair it satisfies the covering requirement, however, I truly believe these short haired women definately then should cover their heads for tney dishonor their heads by removing God's natural covering, it seems the verse says if she has cut hair she definately should add a covering to that!

Sorry if some of you women folk are offended by this but I always say if you can't holler Amen! then you better holler ouch!

Yours having given this much study in the past 25 years,
    Dan

12. I Am Blessed 24

I believe God is talking about the hairline at the base of the head. A man's hair should not be longer than that and a woman's hair should not be shorter than that. What else could God mean by "nature"?

That is not a very nice thing to say about another Christian, based only on your preferences. I daresay the husbands of the women with short hair do not find them disgusting...

I wear make-up, but it certainly isn't applied as stripes across my face.

A woman is not any holier for wearing a veil, a bun, or having her face look like she stuck it in a flour barrel.

It sounds like you have no use for ladies unless they meet YOUR expectations. How Christian is that?

Man looks on the outside, but God looks on the inside.

I'm not offended in the least, but I would add hollering 'Oh Brother' to 'Amen' and 'Ouch'. BTW, hollering is not modest ladylike behavior anymore than what you call short hair.

#52 I Am Blessed 24, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  13. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sue, maybe I should post my "chemo" photo for this fella, ya know? The one where GOD picked my hairstyle? The one where I am COMPLETELY BALD?

My husband adored me, bald or with hair. My hair is just now back to where it ALMOST touches my collar.

So there. Hair is a legalistic point. We are saved by grace.

Debbie Mc

14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Our pastor's wife had brain cancer and had chemo and lost most of her hair---as a matter of fact her sons and husband all shaved their heads until her's grew back. She would wear a scarf to church, but that got hot and cumbersome in the summer, so sometimes she came to church with her baldy, fuzzy head. She is a woman in her early 60s. Her hair is just about back to where it was before the chemo...a little below the ears.

I am unable wear my hair below my shoulders...makes me look old, plus arthritis makes it hard to fix.

Sure glad that there is nobody in our church with a measuring stick measuring womens' hair. Yes, we are saved by grace. Amen!

15. Karen

Karen Active Member

You are absolutely entitled to have, express, and live your belief on this subject.
    I will throw out here what I said on another recent thread on this subject.
    Maybe it is not just rebellious, offended women but people who have studied the Scriptures and come to a different opinion than you have?
    For example, my husband, father, father-in-law, grandfathers, grandfathers-in-law, are/were Christians not sharing your opinion. To whom should I submit? :wavey:
    No pastor I have ever had in my lifetime has shared your view. Neither does any national leader of my denomination share your view. All male. (Southern Baptist Convention) So if I am wrong in my interpretation, a lot of men led me to it!
    Comments like yours often imply that it is all just because some woman wants to ignore and disobey Scripture.

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, 150 years ago women didn't wear deodorant or shave their legs, wear contact lenses, use hairspray, have cavities filled or drive cars for that matter. It sure wasn't "natural" and it's not mentioned in scripture. Using your argument would make these things sin, too.

I'm afraid we've gotten into the habit of doing all kinds of things in the name of legalism that cater to man's opinions and the letter of the law instead of the spirit of scripture.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The only time that I could see hair being an issue of rebellion is when a husband doesn't want his wife to cut her hair and she does. My own husband prefers my hair to be long AND for me to blow it out straight. So I usually try to please him although there are times that I just can't blow it out and it's all curly and messy. LOL But it's HIM who I am to be submissive to and I am.

Makeup? As the saying goes, "if the barn needs painting....." This barn needs help, so I put it on BUT it's not like war paint. I don't think I'd even know how to do warpaint. I just take away the uneven redness, the circles and the scales - and add in some eyelashes, color in my cheeks and some lipgloss to protect my dry lips. Again, hubby likes it and he's the one I'm to be submissive to and the one I'm to please. :)

18. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wear less make-up now than I did before my cancer...because I concluded that I am just happy to be alive and have a man who loves me so much.....and yes, makeup, hair, and such are vanity items, but I don't think God wanted us to suffer in this life, and some of us suffer when we can't fix ourselves up to look nice!!! It is not a wrongful pride.

And a lot of women know how to apply makeup to where you can't even tell it is there unless you look really hard. But leave it off, and you would know. :thumbs:

Debbie Mc

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

you need some change back.

The flaw in your argument is that it is you who decides how long or short is "too long" or "too short."

Good points made by our ladies here...

20. gekko

gekko New Member

not gonna argue anything. heh.

but it doesn't matter to me how long anybody's hair is..

life's short - be creative with what God gave ya.

i have long-er hair. not to my shoulders or anything. you know the shag look surfer's used to have and still have. heh. kinda like that.

heck. i have my own straightener and use it more often than not.. otherwise it looks like someone could surf on my head my hairs so wavy. hahaha.

christian liberty. no?