1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Half of SBC churches could die before 2030, president predicts

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 6, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Southern Baptist Convention is rapidly dying, and resistance to change could kill over half of the denomination’s churches by 2030, the outgoing SBC president said May 1.

Unless something is done to reverse the downward trend, Southern Baptist churches could number only 20,000 -- down from the current total of more than 44,000 -- in fewer than 22 years, South Carolina pastor Frank Page said. His comments came in a conference call with pastors, hosted by the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina.

The rest of the story is at http://www.abpnews.com/www/3162.article

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Relax, brothers and sisters! There's only one church, and Christ is building it, whether you're SB or not.

3. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I like what TC said.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Me too,
    nothing to worry about God is in control

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is the same Yesterday, Today, and Forever.

Page is no expert to be sure. But if we continue to veer away from preaching the unapologetic gospel from the inerrant word of God he could be correct.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Maybe, but like he said it isn't due to the demonination not doing it's job but the local churches refusing to do theirs!
    Can't argue with that.
    If your dead in the pulpit, they're dead in pews.
    or
    The same work that is put into the pulpits, is both given and recieved from the pews.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely true. There is salvation in nobody else.

What I find interesting is that anytime people take their focus off of Christ and onto the organization then God sees fit to destroy the organization.

I believe that should the church receive persecution then it will begin to focus on what really matters. When it humbles itself under God then it will flourish and become stronger.

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'd say the same is likely with other denominations. My perception is that denominationalism in general is on the decline. The younger generation of leaders is less interested in denominational affiliation. However, I do think exciting things are happening with church planting, and the new generation leading it.

Maybe not so positive things within denominations....but God is still good, and he is still saving His bride.

9. CHRISTian PS Watch

CHRISTian PS Watch New Member

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Having no denominations would mean, either each church is one it's own with no affilations, or compromise the gospel to be joined with others.

11. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Well aren't you "the glass is half empty" kind of person!

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think she has something there. We know there will be a "great apostacy" near the end. What Donna described will be just that.

13. Karen

Karen Active Member

Les Puryear is an SBC pastor in North Carolina. He blogs quite often on small-church issues and recently hosted a conference on the small church.
    I think that he writes a lot worth examining on this point. We have over-emphasized big churches as successful and little churches as dying.
    Google him and I think you will find some useful things to read.

Individual churches come and go, but Christ builds His Church. Are any of the individual congregations Paul visited or established still in existence?

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Amen to that.

15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What a great point. Our foundation in our convention is the small church, the lifeblood of our convention is the small church...but the leadership in our convention is always big church.

Ministry in the 21st century will definitely look different. The death of denominations is a slow one but is happening. Networks and affliations are more in step. The reality is that we are going to begin entering an era where we shall see more bi-vocational ministers and simpler churches (in their programming) and that isn't a bad thing. :)

The most important thing to remember is that the church isn't a building or denomination..the Church is you and me. :)

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't know what the reality is or if we will see mainly bivo Pastors. Postmoderns see themselves in a much greater way than meets reality.

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

What is so postmodern about bivocational pastors?

And what is the big deal about being in a postmodern generation over any other generation?

#17 dan e., May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  18. donnA

donnA Active Member

Exactly we tend to see numbers as success, quanity over quality.

19. CHRISTian PS Watch

CHRISTian PS Watch New Member

True words indeed.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Churches that cannot support themselves die if they are not part of a denomination. There are many very good churches being planted that are not a part of any denimination and doing very well.