1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hall of Fame Poll: Catchers

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Nov 16, 2007.

?
  1. Joe Torre - Yes, for sure.

42.9%
  2. Ted Simmons - Yes, for sure.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ivan Rodriguez - Yes, for sure.

71.4%
  4. Mike Piazza - Yes, for sure.

42.9%
  5. Joe Torre - Marginal, could go either way.

28.6%
  6. Ted Simmons - Marginal, could go either way.

28.6%
  7. Ivan Rodriguez - Marginal, could go either way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Mike Piazza - Marginal, could go either way.

57.1%
  9. None of the Above - none of the candidates are even marginal.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I have given two categories to vote for each candidate - (1) Sure-fire Hall of Famer, or (2) Marginal Hall of Famer, meaning you could go either way. If you do not think any of the candidates are even marginal, then vote "none of the above". Also, vote for active players based on their body of work to date - i.e., if they were to retire today.

#1 Andy T., Nov 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

For reasons I've already articulated, I believe Simmons should be a no-brainer. When you're on top of so many categories, how can you be left out? Pudge should probably be in. Torre would be next..on the bubble. Piazza is on the bubble as well.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I do not normally take part in polls, and I will not vote for an active player, in any event.

I will say that both Ivan Rodriguez and Mike Piazza are amassing pretty good numbers in their careers, it seems to me, with Piazza ahead of I-Rod, in that department, because of more overall power.

However, both Joe Torre and Ted Simmons should be in the HOF, IMO, with Torre getting a wee bit of a nod over Simmons. I've posted this in the past. And I'll add that Thurman Munson, whose life tragically ended so prematurely in a plane crash, should get a good long look, as well.

However, I'm starting to get a bad taste over the National Baseball Hall of Fame, overall, and would find the goings on humorous, if it were not serious.

Unless and until Mark McGwire is actually in the Hall, it is irrelevant to baseball, and is more of a current PC social commentary. There has never been one more deserving, who has not been "banned" (what a joke, there, as well, for Pete Rose, Joe 'Shoeless' Jackson, and probably George 'Buck' Weaver should be there, based on what they did on the field. FTR, both Joe Jackson and George Weaver were acquitted by the jury, for any wrong doing in the 'Black Sox' Scandal, but were banned from baseball for life, nonetheless, by "Kennesaw Mountian" Landis, who for some reason did not ban owner Charles Cosmiskey who supposedly had the same knowledge as Jackson and Weaver supposedly had.) 'Minnie' Minoso should also be there. And 'Buck' O'Neal deserves to be there, as well, considering his four-faceted role as a player, coach, scout, and contributor, all rolled into one. He definitely belongs in there!

Ed

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

No doubt Buck O'Neal deserves to be in the HOF.

As far as the current poll, I put Torre and Ivan Rodriguez for sure, with Simmons and Piazza could go either way.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

John 'Buck' O'Neal may well not deserve HOF merit on any single part of his contributions, were that the only part involved. I'll agree to that. However, as I said, there are four outstanding facets to the individual, here, that spanned over 75 years. And the sum total certainly does merit HOF inclusion.

Ed