1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hall of Fame Poll: Shortstops

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Nov 9, 2007.

?
  1. Barry Larkin - Yes, for sure.

33.3%
  2. Alan Trammell - Yes, for sure.

33.3%
  3. Dave Concepcion - Yes, for sure.

44.4%
  4. Omar Vizquel - Yes, for sure.

44.4%
  5. Barry Larkin - Marginal, I could go either way.

33.3%
  6. Alan Trammell - Marginal, I could go either way.

11.1%
  7. Dave Concepcion - Marginal, I could go either way.

11.1%
  8. Omar Vizquel - Marginal, I could go either way.

22.2%
  9. None of the Above - none of the candidates are even marginal.

11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Revisiting that age old debate between TomVols, me and others, we now have an official poll to voice your opinion. I made the poll public, but please don't let that deter you from voting - I promise no one will make fun of your votes, unless you vote for Davey Concepcion. :laugh:

I have given two categories to vote for each candidate - (1) Sure-fire Hall of Famer, or (2) Marginal Hall of Famer, meaning you could go either way. If you do not think any of the candidates are even marginal, then vote "none of the above".

#1 Andy T., Nov 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2007
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having the pleasure to watch Omar for 10 years here in Cleveland, I would say he should be a lock. His glove was phenomenal, and he hit for average and stole bases. He always was in the middle of a rally, batted from both sides of the plate, and always came up with the big steal, hit or DP when needed.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I nominate Larry Bowa as a write in candidate.

Statistically, he's better than most of the shortstops in the HoF.

There really is no good reason why he's not in the Hall.

4. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Omar just signed a new deal with the giants. I thought it was kind of ironic how they want to get younger but resigned an "old" shortstop. I understand he is still productive up the middle but so is Barry Bonds at the plate. I do understand however that Omar doesn't carry the tremendous baggage that #25 does, not to mention the attitude.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The reason Omar was resigned and not Bonds was due to the fact the giants don't order caps over size 8 3/4 :)

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

For TomVols, Webdog and HillClimber (but mostly for TomVols since this is our favorite argument to have; Webdog, you and I always have C/A :laugh: ), how can you put Concepcion in the "for sure" category and Trammell in the "marginal" or non-marginal category? Compare the numbers:

Career OPS:
    Alan = .767 (with a 110 OPS+)
    Dave = .679 (with an 88 OPS+)

Fielding %:
    Alan = .977 (with 4 GG's)
    Dave = .971 (with 5 GG's)

Hits, Runs, RBI's, homers - pretty much any offensive category besides stolen bases - Trammell is ahead of Davey.

What's up, doc?

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I can name one reason - a career .620 OPS. He was a very sure-handed, solid fielder, but he did not have spectacular range. If you are going to have a career .620 OPS, you better bring more to the table than mere sure-handedness.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Davey will get in by the old timers vote in years to come, or that is what I believe. The younger writers don't vote for players that far back as a rule. Read them, the best is today if we take their view.