1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Halloween Rehash

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bro. Williams, Sep 24, 2007.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Sorry for my mistake. I had thought that was why it was called "Trick or Treat". One web site I looked at said:

The cry of "trick or treat" means "give us candy or we'll do something naughty" - in fact the threat is rarely if ever carried out.

Another says that the phrase is:

The ultimatum given by children who call on houses to solicit gifts at Hallowe'en. ​

If it doesn't mean those things, what are the children actually meaning when they knock on people's doors and say, "Trick or Treat!!"?

2. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

It means: Give me some candy or I will leave a burning sack on your front porch.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So that's who left that on my porch last year... :laugh:

David, that phrase at one point in time may have meant what you found online, but like many things (God bless you, wearing black to funerals, etc.) that may have originated with a different meaning, it is only a phrase uttered by the little one to mean "can I have some candy".

4. JustPassingThru

Site Supporter

Ha!:laugh:

Do you dress up as Martin Luther and carry a copy of the 95 Theses?

5. Joe

Joe New Member

We aren't having a celebration. We are hosting a Festival. This includes games, treats, contests, fun house, great food, animal trick shows, clowns, etc...Pretty much the whole town participates. Most arrive early, and only stay for about 45 minutes- 1 hr. prior to leaving to trick or treat.

People decorate their homes and garages into haunted houses and take a herd of people through at a time at no charge. This is probably the most fun. Many of the churches also do a haunted house, which is open all evenings during Halloween week. One church hosted a really FRIGHTENING haunted house. People wrote Letters to the Editor afterwards complaining about it. I WON'T go to that one again. I almost beat up a teenager over it, I was so mad :mad:

#25 Joe, Sep 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007
  6. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Along with hammer and nails.

#26 Bro. Williams, Sep 25, 2007
  7. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

A thread on churches doing haunted houses... hmmm.

8. Joe

Joe New Member

I've never heard of this :confused:

9. Joe

Joe New Member

A thread about churches doing haunted houses (maybe with a poll attached) might be interesting.

#29 Joe, Sep 25, 2007
  10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Usage determines meaning. In our country, I would argue that the widespread use of the day of Halloween is to dress up like a goofball and collect as much sugar you can.

In other countries....say in Brazil, it is a literal day for witches. I see less harm participating in the US, when it is a candy collecting day, than in Brazil, when it is light your candles and talk to dead people.

Usage determines meaning. It is no longer used in the way it was originally meant. Most people have no idea of how it even began.

11. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't blame you. Ishtar was so bad, I walked out of the theater like 5 minutes into the movie. What a stinkburger.

12. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I'll have to look the movie up, don't remember that. Good try on rotten humor though... no, wait...

13. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

NO! As I child, I meant it. And when we went to Grandpa's house, I had to step on his oxygen hose a few times until he understood that he was required to give me a Hershey bar....not one of those tiny little sample sizes. NO! Only the regular sized one would allow him to breathe again. Halloween is very serious business here in the USA, David Lamb. ;)

14. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

So kwanzaa is out of the question, then? :laugh:

15. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I can give you a detailed account of how it started in the states, and what the different (and bizarre!) traditions actually symbolize, if you like. Where did the idea of costumes, pumpkins, even bonfires come from? None of it was to make Christians feel welcome here, that's for sure!

love,

Sopranette

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you know where the phrase "God bless you" came from?

Do you know why we wear black to funerals?

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I do like history lessons...however my point is that the vast majority, if anyone, still USES those things with the same MEANING. Why carve a pumpkin? Because it's something crafty, creative, and messy! Stop the average American family and ask why they do these things, then look back at how those things began. Most people won't know, or care, because they have different reasons.

18. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I can't tell if the last two posters are being facetious or not. Doesn't matter, really. There are more important topics to debate anyway!

love,

Sopranette

19. dan e.

dan e. New Member

:thumbs:
    I'm just saying that usage determines meaning. So it doesn't matter as much how it came about...since it most likely is not used the same ways.

I was being a little sarcastic with my history lesson remark...I understand the basic history. Feel free to fill me in, I never claim to know it all. :thumbs:

20. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Yes. Whether print, video, statue, et.