1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Halloween

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets discuss Halloween

Should we let our kids go trick or treating

IF so - is it okay to dress up like a ghost, the devil, ect.

Will your church have Trunk or Treat Party?

2. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you want the truth, no. It's pagan. But God made a catch 22. The source of Halloween is the same as that for Christmas. So while we rationalize Christmas, it's a tad hypocritical to not let the kids have their fun. You can let your kids stop celebrating Halloween when all the adults give up Christmas. Either that, or let them celebrate it. Can't have one and not the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We didn’t, but neither did we ignore the little ones who came to the door.

We do attempt to live at peace with all, including neighbors.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Our church will not have trunk or treat, or anything of that sort.

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven’t a trunk, but would a good texas truck work?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Of course! You can fit WAY more candy in that than a trunk!

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our church doesn't do anything for Halloween. At my house, we have a celebration because it is my son's birthday! He will be 17 this year! We do have candy for the neighbor kids who come around and if our kids want to get dressed up, we've done the standard Batman, princess, ballerina, cowboy, Buzz Lightyear, equestrienne, etc. Nothing ghoulish or evil.

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Decades ago, I learned these words for a birthday song. It is sung to the tune of the Volga boat song.

Here is a different version to give the idea: Birthday Dirge (Happy Birthday?)

We sung,

"It's your birthday,
    So happy birthday.
    Misery, misery fills the air,
    People dying everywhere.
    But it's your birthday,
    So happy birthday."

A bit of a change for your older teen. :)

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we open the church to the community, pass out candy. decorate some of the rooms with a non-spooky deco.

HankD

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pagan roots of Halloween have been greatly exaggerated. I bought into it when my kids were little. I don't now. If the granddaughter wants to dress like a cat and collect candy, I'm for it.

If you really want to throw a fit about Halloween, it should be on the grounds that it teaches children to expect other people to give them stuff for free and it's not healthful to eat a lot of candy. But all of that is out there every other day of the year, so I'm not going to blow a gasket. (Besides, her parents are much craftier at limiting consumption than my parents were; they hide some of the goodies and dole them out over time. I just ate it all as quickly as I could.)

11. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quit doing Halloween after 12 years old. And do at times either go to church Halloween Alternative. It is my least favorite holiday. Only love the candy. Tisk Tisk!

12. JoChris

JoChris New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Halloween activity at all either at my church or my household.

It isn't the major cultural event here in Australia as it appears in the Northern Hemisphere.
    I didn't even get any kids doorknocking for treats last year.

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is only One Hallowed--His Name is Jehovah.

Conformity to the world has killed many churches.

Aw, come on, a little bit of sin won't hurt. It is probably not sin anyway.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

14. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the bible, King Jeroboam created this feast day on the 15th day of the 8th month, likened to the feast in Judah (which was Tabernacles) so that the Israelites there would not celebrate in Jerusalem with the Jews. The 15th of any month is always full moon. He was afraid they would defect over to Judah and lose control. He made two rather convenient points of worship revolving around the calf which BTW, the moon was in Taurus when it was full.

Fast forward. This does not prove Halloween came from that, but I believe the coincidences are in place enough to take a second look. After all, who is credited with that holiday? The Celts which were associated with Jeroboam, and the fact we have these "full moon" themes in Halloween. I have yet to see a Halloween picture of a witch flying across a half lit moon. Maybe they sometimes use a crescent to make it look like horns. Did I say horns? Hmmmmm. A bull has horns, too. Indeed, the 8th month falls around the full moon in October. Later on the Celts and other societies as well adopted a solar calendar and fixed the day to October 31st. They have 8 Sabbaths a year (instead of the biblical 7) and the weekly Solar Sabbath (the day of the sun) is the 8th day of the week, also the first day of the week. Just sayin'.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you get into the weeds you can draw connections to just about anything. (And I have no idea how you connect Jeroboam with the Celts with a straight face, BTW.)

Back in the day I constructed an elaborate comparison of "Hotel California" to the Nixon White House. It was plausible but entirely erroneous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So, even if it did not come from Jeroboam, the point is I likened it to his abominable holiday. So just because it did not come from him makes it any less abominable? That's my point.

As for Celts, yes there is a connection. Lost house of Israel (from Jerobaom's Kingdom) migrated ---> some became Galatians --> forerunner of the Celts. So yes I have a very straight face understanding that. This is a subject in itself but a connection to Jeroboam. The bible states Israel kept some of their abominable practices as they migrated.

BTW, I live in the Philadelphia area and made the claim that Israel is Northeast of me as the true direction and shortest distance. Were you the one who said "by no stretch of the imagination it's in that direction" as well? Well, I don't make such claims by a stretch of the imagination any more than I make claims of the Celts with tongue-in-cheek. I wish people would do more than 5 minutes of study before using catch phrases to laugh a guy like me off. I proves nothing except substitute lack of knowledge with one-liners. I did do a study of this subject.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Word of Life has a similar song that we've been singing for years (I've never been to WoL but have friends who have):

Happy birthday HUH
    Happy birthday HUH
    Sickness, famine and despair
    People dying everywhere
    Happy birthday HUH
    Happy birthday HUH

• Like Like x 1
  18. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. When we were children we never heard of it
    We used to go to France at that time, a few years ago. Because there was no mention of it. Then it arrived suddenly, one year we went into a store and there it was, A big black gazebo filled with Coca Cola. Pumpkins and all the other nonsense. I picked up a pair of children's slippers, and as I squeezed the toe, it said "Happy Halloween" in a terrible American accent.

The French traditionally make much more of November 1st, the "Day of the Dead" They visit the graves of their ancestors and place Chrysanthemum plants on them. Here it is quite normal to give some body a bunch of chrysanthemums, but in France you just don't It is considered that you are wishing them dead.

Some churches carry out outreach at that time handing out tracts, etc,

19. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, the Nixon White House was much more corrupt than the church of Satan.

20. LowOiL

LowOiL Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church here does a "Harvest Festival" thing at the church, it is one of the bigger events of the year as far as outreach to the neighborhood with 6-7 hundred kids coming and going. The games are Fall games with little to no reference to ghosts or black cats, but the church staff does dress up in costume (and some are scary related).

We turn our lights off, but not so much because we don't care for kids getting a treat, but because kids often now days are destructive. Egging and soap are common place and hard to clean up after. I used to order glow sticks (that made bracelets, ordered in bulk were less than a dime each) but after getting hit with over 400 kids one year it became too much.