1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Halloween

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by CTTYaz, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I just wanted to chime in and say that Ransom's info is correct. Much of what we attribute to Halloween are actually very contemporary secular traditions. There is hardly anything that's original to the 3000 year old Sawhain culture.

BTW - Interesting that witchcraft is associated with Halloween, since witches as we stereotype them didn't even come into being until several hundred years after Christ. Bats are associated with Halloween because they were seen swooping around bonfires, eating the insects that were attracted to the firelight. Even the word Halloween didn't arise until long after the Church instituted All saints day on Nov 1.

Further, the ancient Celtics didn't weren't even a religion. They were a cultural group of regional peoples. They didn't worship a god. They payed homage to the forces of nature, such as the sun, the seasons, the harvest, etc etc etc. It was the church in the middle of the first millenium that had decided they were demonic, in an attempt to assilimate their culture.

2. suzanne

suzanne New Member

They payed homage to the forces of nature, such as the sun, the seasons, the harvest, etc etc etc. :confused: ....I think is called paganism...which is present day Wicca

3. jonmagee

jonmagee New Member

inhim2002.............please read back through the thread and you will discover me speaking of first hand knowledge...... hope a christian brothers word is good enough for you without me tracing through the worlds media.
    Jim1999...... thank you for the answer you gave. In this country it has been reported in the media too often for me to dismiss this as an insignificant occurance.
    yours, Jon