1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hallucinogenic drugs

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by God lives within, Jan 18, 2005.

1. God lives within

God lives within New Member

im interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on
    hallucinogenic drugs such as mushrooms.

Is it ok to take them, and do they help you know more about God?

thanks -God lives within :cool:

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

You are kidding, aren't you?

The Bible tells us that our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

The Bible tells us to owe the law of the land.

We don't need DRUGS to know God!

3. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

WHAT IN THE WORLD?

Wow, my friend. You are really brave with that post. I'll go ahead and warn you that you are about to get a lot of lectures. You aren't doing this just to rile up people I hope.

Assuming you are serious, the answer is NO. Drugs have nothing to do with getting you in touch with God. In fact, it only takes you farther away. The joy that God gives you once you accept Christ as your savior is the best high you will ever feel. Believe me, it's better than any drug.

4. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

It is definitely not ok to take them. I speak from experience here. They do not help you to know or understand God better. They force you away with abstract thinking and you start to wonder if there even is a God.

My last experience with these forms of drugs was in 2001 right before I got saved. I had taken two tabs of X and two hits of acid. Yes, there were many hallucinations but my thoughts were nothing about God. I was very frightened and out of my mind. I overdosed that night and would have died had the Lord not awakened me. Everyone there thought it was funny that I so suddenly sat straight up and ran to the bathroom knowing that I had passed out cold. That was my wake up call that putting things in my body like drugs and alcohol was a sin NO MATTER WHAT the reason or purpose.

That is all I can really say without going into long and painful stories. I hope you find what you are looking for in one of our answers.

[​IMG]

5. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

How do you explain something like marijuana that doesn't need to be processed at all in order to have the drug-effect? Why did God make it, or is it part of the curse?

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

How do I explain marijuana? Did God say to smoke it? He didn't tell us to smoke corn or oak trees. In fact, if you inhale the smoke from poison sumac you can get very sick and possibly die.

7. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Very well stated Diane!!!

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of the drugs that are commonly taken by medical patients have been derived from substances found in nature.

I love the flower called Foxglove. If you look at the package of seeds you will see a warning that it is poisonous. Yet people have been taking small quantities of the plant for thousands of years (to this very day) for it's medicinal effects. It's called Digitalis, a heart medication.

Well before the age of modern science and genetic engineering, many medications were just a form of processed herb.
    Marijuana's active substance, THC, is still being investigated for it's potential uses in medicine.

The problem with many of the "recreational drugs" that people take "for fun", is that they are harmful and have adverse side effects.
    Drugs that cause the brain to perceive things differently could probably be compared biblically to alcohol. We are admonished to walk as wise men and be filled with the Spirit, and not be drunk with wine as one foolish (Eph. 5:15-18). The same could easily be applied to hallucinogenic drugs without bending (too much) the texts meaning.

Rob

9. Gib

Gib Active Member

I ate some fried mushrooms the other day for lunch. That night, I hallucinated.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You probably just had a good dream. [​IMG]
    Did you still have your pillow when you woke up or did you eat it?

I dream of fried mushrooms and onions over my steak. [​IMG]

Rob

11. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Diane, My ex-step-grandfather actually had to be hospitalized because he was a "genius" and BURNED a patch of poison ivy. He almost died. All of his airways swelled shut, as well as his eyes, etc.

Never thought of marijuana in that context. I just figured He meant it for a medicinal drug and we don't use it that way, same as many plants. Now I want to know why he made poison oak, ivy, and sumac! [​IMG]

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Are you kidding? Is this a serious post??

No, it's not okay to take things into the body for the purpose of doing the body harm. Mind altering substances do harm to the body.

Keep the temple clean.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

God made poison ivy, too. Ya gonna smoke that???

14. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

God made poison ivy, too. Ya gonna smoke that??? </font>[/QUOTE]See my previous post! [​IMG] Now I wanna know why he made the 'poisons' (ivy, oak, sumac, etc.)

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The most common reason plants are toxic are so other living things don't eat the plant, and the plant survives in the wild.

It's kinda like asking why roses have thorns. They have thorns so other animals like birds don't eat the seed pods which the bloom produces.

These things may or may not have anything to do with the fall of man. Lacking scriptural support, I'd say not likely, but we just don't know.

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

This is so out of touch that I thought it needed to be bumped to the top.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Genesis 3:17-18 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
    18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

When Adam sinned God cursed the ground. Out of it grew thorns and thistles, and also things that were harmful to mankind. Before that time Adam and Eve lived in a perfect environment where nothing was harmful--nothing in the animal kingdom, and nothing in the plant kingdom. We can't go back to the time before the curse. The Bible indicates the entire of God's creation groans and waits until the end of the world. We also wait for the redemption of our bodies.

Romans 8:22-23 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
    23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Every thing God once made was good. But everything now that grows is not good. The world remains under a curse because of sin. When Christ comes to set up his kingdom that curse will be removed, but not until then. Until then stay away from harmful plants and don't go stuffing things like poison ivy into your mouth or the equivalent thereof (like the ones you mentioned at the beginning of this thread).

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
    20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
    DHK

18. Jayohio1

Jayohio1 New Member

Well, do you see wrong in having a beer?
    And if so, how do you justify your reasons?
    And caffeine(sp), sugar, are "drugs" of sorts?

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Having a beer for the taste? No. Having a beer to get drunk? Yes. No one takes recreational drugs like marijuana for any other reason than to get high. Hence, it's wrong.
    Yes, and when they are abused to alter one's state of mind, they're equally wrong. Take it from me, a former caffiene addict.

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

How many verses would you like, Jay? Better still, we have MANY debates on alcohol. You might do a search so you can see both sides of the debate.