1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ham Radio and the Gospel

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests & Praise' started by Reformed, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My father and I are amateur (ham) radio operators. I will not go into details, but suffice to say I did not have an ideal relationship with my father as I grew up. I fell away from the ham radio hobby for a number of years, but got back into it last spring. I enjoy portable operations, where I go to state and national parks to operate on HF frequencies using voice (SSB) and morse code. My father lives about 3 hours from me. Friday evening I drove to his house to spend the night and in the morning we when to a state park to operate portable. We we got back to his house I had a lengthy discussion about the Gospel with my father and his wife. It was not a one-sided discussion. The both of them asked questions. There was plenty of interaction. I pray these discussions continue and that my father and his wife come to faith in Christ.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  2. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recently bought a shortwave radio. I think as the mainstream media gains more power and abuses it, shortwave and ham radio will be reemerging as important forms of communication. It is interesting that so many shortwave radio stations are owned by Christians. At this time, the signals are pointed at other countries more than our own, but that can be adjusted in mere hours, right?

I am interested to watch this play out.

3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if HCJB in Quito Ecuador will someday start broadcasting again via the airwaves. If you aren't aware of HCJB, it was the largest Christian radio station in the world. Due to the mountains and other features it could broadcast the gospel to nearly all parts of the world. People using shortwave radios could pick it up and hear the gospel all across Asia, Africa and Europe. They would broadcast into Communist countries to share the gospel. It has a fascinating history.

HCJB Quito Ecuador

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably not because they are setting up local FM and AM stations - so the broadcasts can be more localized.

From Wiki: After nearly 80 years of shortwave broadcasting from Ecuador, Radio Station HCJB ended its extensive worldwide shortwave transmissions on September 30, 2009.[15] The international transmitter site in Pifo was dismantled to make way for the city of Quito's new airport. According to HCJB Global President Wayne Pederson, the change was made because, “the way people consume media has changed, so we have the opportunity to change to delivery systems such as satellite, AM/FM and the Internet. The closing of shortwave in Latin America is strategic because of the planting of local radio stations across the region and around the world. These stations are staffed and programmed by local Christians who can speak to the culture in their own communities.”[16] HCJB Global's focus is now on “radio planting”—assisting local Christian ministries in beginning implementing their own Christian radio ministry. Worldwide, more than 350 local stations have been assisted in this type of endeavor, including nearly 60 stations in Latin America alone.

HCJB - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate to see shortwave dismantled. Redirected can be redirected again quite easily, but dismantled is gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    first of all, I want to say that I will pray for your father and his wife. It is good to know that they are open to conversation. That is a good step. Second, I'm a ham operator as well N4DCT

• Like Like x 1