1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hand Shaking Ministers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by drfuss, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well Alex, my members have a great deal more respect for me than that. The Pastor would never make it to the stand, if he had to stand and wait until someone quit talking to speak to them. As I come in the church, I start at the front door, working my way to the stand, shaking hands with all. If I miss someone, I get up and go back and shake hands with them. I don't know what they are talking about and could care less, and suppose your Pastor feels the same. This conversation is completely foolish. You need to have more respect for your Pastor. It is a hard job to fulfill the job of Pastoring. You have to try and figure out each and ever member, so as to make them welcome. I can't believe a small group would say, how rude the Pastor was for stopping and shaking hands with them. Jeepers what disrespect.

BBob,

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm sorry pastors, you do have a tough line to walk - and I don't mean that tongue in cheek at all. I was thinking along the lines that LeBuick mentions about the waving in recognition when a pastor saw folks engaged in conversation.

It's tough. I'm not usually in his path (rather stuck back out of sight working in drugery cataloguing, filing, shelving or helping in someone find some obscure book), so it's a moot point for me :D

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Amen Brother, well said...

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And a man who smells like his sheep. :thumbs:

#24 TCGreek, Dec 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  5. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Of course YOU could care less. It is obvious all you are interested is in what YOU want to do and have in mind.

My Pastor has enough respect NOT to interrupt private conversations and rudely interrupt simply to satisfy his interest in shaking a hand.

So no, MY PASTOR isn't like you, he respects other people and doesn't impose on them if it is clear they are in the middle of a private conversation. He is mature and not immature.

And quit being DISHONEST when you say:

No one said the Pastor was rude for SHAKING HANDS as you say here quite dishonestly, but that the MINISTER was RUDE FOR INTERRUPTING a private conversation. Again, stop with the dumb act.
    Now, you may resume justifying the rudeness of interrupting people in your life, for now I'll reserve my pearls for other respondents.

#25 Alex Quackenbush, Dec 9, 2007
  6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Perhaps there was something in the way that this minister inserted himself into the trio that we can't tell from the original post that most wouldn't think anything about. Since we weren't there, we aren't getting it . . .

I noticed that he's "one of the ministers." Maybe it's so obligatory on his part that he's got no finesse? Most pastors I know, know how to work a room pretty well. Maybe this one hasn't gotten that down yet.

#26 mcdirector, Dec 9, 2007
  7. rbell

rbell Active Member

wow, things can get testy in here....over a handshake, no less....

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I see you have visited my church--thanks for the promo. :thumbs:

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Now Bro. Bell! We are Baptist donchano ;)

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah , I wonder how testy a seemingly insignificant subject can get myself .

Must a Pastor wear a tie ?

Are pews a waste of money ?

Are TNIV-Only Churches the wave of the future ?

How many more inconsequential topics can you all think of ?

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Is this a challenge? mmmmm
    ;)

12. Alex Quackenbush

But the topic and issue ISN'T over a HANDSHAKE...read the OP, it is about RUDENESS and particularly about RUDELY interrupting an ongoing private conversation.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You accuse me of being dishonest in saying "shaking hands". Have you read the OP, this thread is about shaking hands.
    I as most Pastors, if we knew someone felt we were being rude shaking hands and that is the OP, but if we knew someone or group thought we were being rude shaking hands as we go by, you would not have any trouble with any of us.
    To be totally honest here, you seem to be the one who would be rude. You said you would look the Pastor in the eye and say "excuse me" we are having a conversation here. I just don't think the Lord would be very happy with you at all. I am sure the Pastor would not "bother" you again, and if your Pastor knew how you felt, I am sure he would walk on by also.
    Here you have accused me of being dishonest, when I responded to the OP.

BBob, :jesus:

Here is the OP:

Hand Shaking Minisers
    It happened again this morning. Three of us men were having a friendly, interesting discussion in the church lobby between services. We were standing about two or three feet apart during our discussion. Suddenly one of the ministers inserts himself between us and shakes hands with each of us having a shot comment for each of us. Then the minister hurriedly moves on. After the rude interruption, we continued our discussion.

Over the years, I have seen a number of ministers who practice interrupting conversations; and I have seen other ministers who are more considerate and polite, and refrain from such interruptions.

I am interested in both the ministers and laymen perspective on this.

When you say no one said anything about shaking hands, you either did not read the OP, of you are being dishonest.

#33 Brother Bob, Dec 9, 2007
  14. Alex Quackenbush

Apparently your reading skills are in question I will respost the OP HIGHLIGHTING the issue and the issue is the RUDENESS of INTERRUPTING.

Good grief pal, READ what is in front of you already.

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, at least by frequenting the BB, we know rudeness isn't limited to ministers.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Aw, you got a problem Alex, but if you can live with yourself, then you are not hurting anyone. If you told a Pastor to his face, "excuse me, we are having a conversation here", then it would be a problem for others. Most Pastors that I know, including myself, would answer very well.
    As for me and my house, I will continue to serve the flock.

BBob,

#36 Brother Bob, Dec 9, 2007
  17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah , can you think of seemingly unimportant topics which our members here could turn into a ruckus ?

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Chocolate is better than vanilla.

19. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

But strawberry is great on both!

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member