1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hand Shaking Ministers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by drfuss, Dec 9, 2007.

1. kmichael

kmichael New Member

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Have any of us considered that this pastor -- back to OP -- might have suspected that these men were plotting a little something against him? Paranoid, yes, but not as far-fetched as it might seem. "Where two or three are gathered together" after church services, "there am I in the midst of them", being roasted!!

On the other side, have you ever been in the middle of a good story and just about to get to the punch line when someone approaches your conversation and your punch line trails off into the stratosphere while your audience's attention is diverted?

3. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

:laugh: You don't want me to "take you to task" over your rude attitude, but you accuse me of "mama drama"?!! Is that supposed to be some kind of play on my user name? In fact, I am a mom of four, and I'm fairly young, so the name is really not that original...and I can assure you I get quite enough drama out of my four children, especially the older two when it's time to do their homework! I don't need to create drama, but after putting up with a couple of rude kids all evening, I can't stand to come on here and see someone behaving like my 12 and 8 year olds do. So, grow up! I grasp the issue quite well, and I pointed that out in the post you quoted. If you feel that I'm looking for demons in your posts, then perhaps it is because you are scared I might find some if I did. :thumbs:

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you needed to air-that-out YM . However Q is in the land of the banned now .

5. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

No kidding...I didn't realize that. Perhaps it is for the better; I actually agreed with some of his views, but I just couldn't stand the rude presentation!

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I'd rather have a 'hand-shaking minister' than a 'hand-wringing' one any day.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now that we are talking about hand-shaking ministers -- do any of them have Parkinson's disease ? ( Not sure about including a smiley-face )

8. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I have the best solution... I, as the pastor, am the first to church and make it a point to have all prepared ( notebook connected to projector, Bible and notes... yes I do use an outline to stay on track... etc.) so I can be standing right at the only door to the sanctuary as the congregation enters and leaves. Nobody has a choice. They all gotta greet me into and out of the service.:wavey: :thumbs:

Some even initiate a hug, youth do the handclasp back pat hug thing. 2 of the 80-something ladies even kiss my cheek. :1_grouphug:

I love my congregation and I believe they reciprocate.

However, they seem to understand that if they want to have a private conversation, they should retire to a private place. I was taught that was the polite thing to do.:BangHead:

9. Rhea

Rhea New Member

My two cents

In my humble opinion, I think you should give him grace and forgiveness. He may not know how proper etiquette, but holding a discussion in a lobby is hardly a place where people can expect NOT to be interrupted. I don't think you should let this bother you, it's a small thing. Just my opinion.

Rhea

10. Karen

Karen Active Member

Hi, Rhea,
    Yes, I agree. Just last night I was part of a lively conversation at the Wednesday night dinner. The pastor came by and Gasp! :laugh: interrupted what I was saying with a funny comment. I was like everybody else at the table. Pleased, not mad, that he noticed us and came by. If something is so private, go to a private place.

11. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

That's so funny! :laugh: I had one of these moments at church Sunday, kind of...someone had said something that offended me and my friend when we were downstairs for breakfast, but my husband had only caught the tail end of it. So, after we dropped off the four younger kids upstairs (my friend and I both have 2 yr old girls and 4 yr old boys), my husband stopped at the top of the stairs to ask us what was going on. We were in the middle of explaining when the pastor's wife headed in the door to go to the nursery, and we started moving down the stairs because we were already running late getting to Sunday School. So, she started joking about how we shouldn't mind her, she was going straight to the nursery and we could finish our pow-wow where we were. :laugh: After the service, my hubby went to explain to her what was going on and ask for advice as to how to deal with it. None of us were offended that she spoke to us when she could obviously tell we were in the middle of a private conversation; quite the opposite, we are happy that both our pastor and his wife are interested in our lives and what is going on with us from a day to day basis. :thumbs: