1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Handshaking while instruments play a verse

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by timdavis, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Think cup half full. I'd say preachers are getting more efficient and aren't beating around the bush as much. ;)

2. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I like the shaking hands in that in can help vistors feel welcomed and relaxed. I think it should be done at the beginning of Worship. We rarely do it at my Church however since most people greet one another at the very beginning of Worship. In most small Southern churches (100 and below) you will be greeted by most members with a handshake. I think to not greet one another with a handshake shows a lack of love and hospitality. So Shake someone's hands when you go to Church! Make them feel welcome and loved! [​IMG]

3. Tim

Tim New Member

I have probably shaken more hands at church than most of you--but I still question how meaningful it is for someone to shake my hand simply because the songleader tells him to do it. Often all anyone says is "Hi" then turns to someone else. That is not the stuff of true friendliness. This scripted event is quite often started in a church because the people would otherwise NOT greet one another. If they were doing before the service and after the service, why wuold anyone have to TELL them to do it during the service?

That was my only point in bringing this up

4. kubel

kubel New Member

I think its an excellent opportunity for the Pastor and his members to welcome whomever may be visiting.

I can see how I would be against it if the handshaking event was the extent of socializing in the church. But at ours, the real socializing is before and after church or during church events.

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Maybe too far into this, and maybe this has already surfaced, but the pastor has opportuniy to "see" who is at odds with other members if he watches diligently and often enough.

6. Sojourn(f)orTruth

Sojourn(f)orTruth New Member

From the attitude of some who have responded to this thread, I would advise that for the sake of your visitors, you REFRAIN from the practice. You may just scare the poor folks away!

Pr. 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

7. jarhed

jarhed New Member

One thing that you may not have thought of is the fact that some folks come in and have NEVER been treated kindly without a backdoor motivation in all thier life. They may be strange to new associations and they are shocked and happy to be treated like everyone else. It is one more opportunity to show folk we care about them, to laugh, to smile, and just to say, Hey, Glad to have you with us. Invitation time is coming and we don't want the lost leaving that way! May God have mercy on me if I don't do everything I can to make them welcome and comfortable and in the frame of mind to LISTEN with open ears to the Gospel. It has been my experience that this does not indicate a shallow and insincere church, but one that has open arms and smiling faces!