1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hanegraaff and LeHaye

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by El_Guero, Jan 6, 2005.

1. atestring

atestring New Member

I think he has done a lot of good exposing preachers who have led large numbers of people astray. </font>[/QUOTE]I think he tries to lead people astray by being a SELF PROCLAIMED apologist.

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

[crude remark snipped]

[ January 07, 2005, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

3. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

??????????????????????? Gracious. :( [​IMG] :( [​IMG] :( [​IMG]

4. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

This kind of surprises me. I'm a fan of his radio show. Does this information come from the link that was posted earlier? I'd like to read more about this. I thought he would be more in the mainstream of evangelicals in his eschatology than that. </font>[/QUOTE]Premillennial schools, teachers, and churches like to paint people with other views of eschatology as liberals or non-orthodox.

I got saved in the '70's, and was blessed to have great teachers in church, on the radio, and through books. I was taught a lot of good doctrine, for which I am thankful.

But, I resent the one-sided, dishonest portrayal of the eschatological issues that caused me, for years, to think that non-premillennialists did not take their faith, or the scriptures, seriously.

There is far more sloppy work done by premillennialists in eschatology than by others, IMO. Much has to do with the more radical tenets of Dispensationalism.

I am still a premillennialist, but the premillennialist crowd is rapidly losing adherents, and will continue to do so, because of the sloppy and childish way in which their leading adherents have acted and continue to act.

PatsFan, I guess this is an unexpectedly long response to your post, but my point is: I'm no longer surprised to see good Bible teachers or solid Christians of differing eschatological stripes, because their positions, even if we disagree with them, hold much more water than we have been mislead to believe.

5. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, we agree, Lady Eagle!

Hank Hanegraaff is a mocking bird, as some have suggested. He tries to cash in where others have led the way.

When Walter Martin died, he commandeered the Christian Research Institute (C.R.I.) under false pretenses. For a long time Walter Martin's widow and children and employees had letters about it on the Walter Martin website.

Aside from the bad actions of Hanegraaff, the fate of the C.R.I. is a testimony against para-church organizations on two points. One, everyone should have a clear last will; two, para-church organizations are also unstable as are denominations.

I cannot care what Hanegraaff says about anything until he admits what he did to commandeer C.R.I.

6. Pennsylvania Jim

interesting, CMG. Do you have any links to the info so that we can learn more?

7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The letters have been taken down from the Walter Martin website to the best of my knowledge. Afterall, Walter died about 1990; he was on his knees praying in the wee hours of the moring when he had a heart attack and died.

Hank Hanegraaff even has refused to allow the widow to retrieve personal belongings from C.R.I. Most of Walter's employees quit or were fired. Hank stood up at the funeral and said that he was supposed to take command. Mrs. Martin and the childern were too grief-stricken to even be aware of what he was doing much.

None of Walter Martin's materials are available from C.R.I. anymore, and he is the founder! Hank has made millions off of the sales of his materials; he is an expert in memory.

Walter Martin is a giant, or as Shakespeare said in Hamlet, a hyperion to this satyr. Walter pioneered cult apologetics with his book The Kingdom of the Cults, which was the first book to deal with cult theology from the writings and statements of the cults themselves. Walter was highly educated and was the US expert on the cults. He learned to debate by standing on a soapbox on Wall Street during lunch hour and fielding questions from hecklers who wanted to interrupt other street corner preachers. Walter later was on NBC radio in NYC and from there to his own radio show and his own research institute. He was a Southern Baptist preacher.

For materials from Walter, visit www.waltermartin.org

8. Pennsylvania Jim

CMG,

I am familiar with Walter Martin. I have read his good materials on the cults for years. I'd just like some sort of documentation on the issue that you raised.

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The evidence is now circumstanial. Afterall, this is an issue among Christians. The evidence is that all of Walter's employees are gone from the Christian Research Institute (C.R.I.), Walter's name is gone from C.R.I., and Walter's materials are not for sale at C.R.I. There is no doubt that Walter founded C.R.I.

Other than that, you have my word on the post before your last one that I have written the truth as it was once posted at the Walter Martin website.

You might e-mail the Walter Martin website and ask them about the letters that were once posted there.

www.waltermartin.org

10. Pennsylvania Jim

It pains me to say it, friend, but having seen what you have falsely posted about others, that ain't worth much.

11. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

[/QB][/QUOTE]PatsFan, I guess this is an unexpectedly long response to your post, but my point is: I'm no longer surprised to see good Bible teachers or solid Christians of differing eschatological stripes, because their positions, even if we disagree with them, hold much more water than we have been mislead to believe. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Point well taken. The evangelical seminary I attended in the 1980's, Gordon-Conwell, had many solid professors who happened to be amillenialists.

12. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

[/QB][/QUOTE]When Walter Martin died, he commandeered the Christian Research Institute (C.R.I.) under false pretenses. For a long time Walter Martin's widow and children and employees had letters about it on the Walter Martin website.
    [/QB][/QUOTE]
    I'm not doubting you, church mouse, but I'd like to see something in writing too before I change my opinion of someone I highly respect. I imagine Christianity Today would have written something about it. In years past Hanegraaff had offered special additions of one of Martin's books. I have also heard taped broadcasts of Martin on The Bible Answer Man, HH's radio program. Nothing like that recently though.

[ January 07, 2005, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: PatsFan ]

13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see why Christianity Today would have published on something like this.

If you want something in writing, e-mail the Walter Martin website and ask them if the letters are still available.

Don't you think that it is very strange that the Christian Research Institute never mentions the Founder of that institute? And don't you think that it is strange that in Hank's biography there is no mention of the fact that Hank ever had any association with Walter Martin?

I can't believe your demands sometimes.

Mrs. Walter Martin's statement--click here

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another link for those who want to see the dirty laundry in writing:

Please click here

15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Thanks. Interesting stuff. It sounds like the Martin family had no problem with Hanegraaf for 15 years until they had a disagreement about philosophy. I happen to personally, like the direction the ministry has gone. CRI has been incredibly successful and has done a lot of good. We need someone like Hanegraaf with the courage to take a stand against counterfeit Christianity.

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you evidently did not know about Walter Martin.

You asked for proof in writing and then when you saw the filth, you began to make excuses for Hank Handegraaff and Christianity Today. The evidence is not only in the three links but the missing information from the website, or the circumstantial evidence. By the way, your charge that nothing happened for 15 years is also false.

Ladies and Gentlemen, only on the Baptist Board...

18. Pennsylvania Jim

Yep, thanks for the linnks, CMG. It is interesting, and something I never ran across before. I pretty much see it the way PatsFan does, from the little reading that I've done.

19. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Having read the links, I'm frankly not sure I really care about CRI's skeletons. My church has a few also. We'll never really know for sure who is to blame anyway.

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it strange that Hank believes the trib has already occurred, culminating in 70 AD with the destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem, seeing as how JESUS plainly told John the Revelation was a PROPHECY, and the destruction of Jerusalem had occurred some 20 years before the Revelation was given.