1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hanegraaff and LeHaye

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by El_Guero, Jan 6, 2005.

1. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

The more I think about it I'm not sure if Kennedy actually sued or if there was just talk about it. Does anybody know for sure? It's been quite some time since I read about it all.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

James, he'll tell you it was written prior to 70 A.D.. I can't recall if he specifies the year. I heard him discussing it several months ago with his "co-writer" and publisher. Apparently, the dating of Revelation is one of the cornerstones of his eschatology.

4. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an interesting study on the matter of D. James Kennedy. I have read it before but forgotten about it:

web page Click Here Please

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

This is definitely disturbing and more serious than I initially thought. The other thing that concerns me is the comment at the bottom of the web page. What's this all about:

"Eastern Christian Outreach disagrees completely with Kennedy's Christian Zodiac theories as advocated in his The Real Meaning Of The Zodiac. We also disapprove of his support for the Trinity Broadcasting Network, which is one of the largest dispensers of rank heresy in the world today."

It sounds like at least one other organization besides Hanegraaf has concerns about Kennedy. I've always thought Kennedy was on the up and up. Hmm?

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am mostly undecided about Kennedy's zodiac theory, although it seems unlikely to me personally.

A lot of television ministries broadcast on TBN. I guess that Fundamentalists do not. However, the SBC has Charles Stanley and Adrian Rogers and Ed Young on TBN. To broadcast on a network does not imply endorsement of that network nor does it imply that the network endorses you.

All of that is secondary because Hanegraaff again played the mocking bird and attacked D. James Kennedy's point of view; Kennedy has made it clear that he does not believe in astrology and he has said that Hanegraaff knows that very well.

More disturbing than the Kennedy case, is Rob Bowman's report that no one from CRI including Hanegraaff would discuss the issue of plagiarism.

If you are not satisfied with Walter Martin's work, then may I suggest that for your apologetics that you use the Southern Baptist Convention North American Mission Board Interfaith Evangelism?

web page--Please click here

7. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

This is getting out of hand, you can't believe everything you see. I saw the same thing and it disturbed me for a moment. I'm not familiar with this site but I know you have to be very careful what and who you read on the web, even if they are right about something. Discernment ministries require more discernment than anything else I can think of. Surely that statement is no basis to question the integrity of Kennedy.

Here's my opinion: I don't believe for one minute that Kennedy approves of TBN. I know he appeared on their set one day as I saw him while flipping channels. Astonished, I watched for a while and, as I recall, he mostly just sat there as he obviously labored to exercise his dignity and Christian agape.

If you want broad television exposure you just about have to play ball with Paul Crouch and TBN. IMO, no way Kennedy wanted to be on that set that day. Charles Stanley, Michael Youssef, John Ankerberg, and others use TBN, probably because they have no better alternative.

IMO, this topic has turned sour, I'm out of it. I'm going to spend a few moments with the Lord, ask his forgiveness for getting involved in it, and take a shower.

8. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Rub a dub dub

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I haven't read it. I have to admit, though,that Kennedy's letter really got my attention. Come to think of it, where did Hanegraaff get his credentials? Does he even have a GRADUATE degree in theology?

10. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

This link might be interesting to some of you. At the end it features an impressive list of Martin's accomplishments:

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/cri/cri-nwsl/crn0010a.txt

11. kennethc

kennethc New Member

I have been reading the links posted, and was very interested in most of this, so I did some searches...

I came up with some odd things on Walter Martin, and , since I don't believe everything I read on the web, I was wondering if someone could debunk this for me? I cannot find anything directly to counter these claims, other than the previous link where Dr. Kennedy said he studied with Walter Martin.

Thanks

http://www.lightplanet.com/response/martin.htm#descendant

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Cults/sda/martin.htm

12. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I see what you mean! With regard to the second link, it wouldn't surprise me if Martin would consider Seventh Day Adventists and Roman Catholics to be orthodox- -Hanegraaff uses the same standards. Did you see this link? It discusses the legitimacy of Martin's doctorate. He got it at an unaccredited university:
    http://www.waltermartin.org/degree.html

13. Jacob

Jacob Member

I enjoy Hank as well and listen to his show often. I have seen all these accusations before - they disturbed me for awhile.

One must remember that not all former Martin staff members have teamed against him. Some of the most respected and noted ones that had worked for Martin support Hank greatly - ones like Elliot Miller (editor of CRI journal), Ron Rhodes (cult expert, he's come on BAM recently - he cohosted BAM with Martin in the 80's), Bob & Grethen Passintino.

I remember a show celebrating Hank's 50th birthday. In a surprise Lee Strobel hosted the show and it was a honour Hank testimonial show. I couldn't believe the names that called in. Colson, Macaurther, Franklin Graham, Lucado, Sproul, basically the who's who in Evangelical Christianity. If he was corrupt I don't think they would honour him the way they did.

Jacob.

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am guessing that you never heard Walter Martin, Jacob.

15. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Dr. Rhodes is top notch. I wondered if he and Hanegraaff still collaborated

- basically the who's who in Evangelical Christianity. If he was corrupt I don't think they would honour him the way they did.Jacob. [/QB][/QUOTE]

You make some good points, Jacob! Thanks. For the past 26 years he has been taking a stand for orthodoxy, teaching solid theological truths. In a sense he has been discipling thousands and thousands of people.

16. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Yes, Hank has been an awesome teacher to many.
    Solid theology.

Rachel

17. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Ivey

That is what I was looking for!

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

As for the integrity of HH compared to Kennedy?

_________

If the quote from Kennedy is correct, HH needs repentance ...

As for HH, if he can afford Coto De Caza on a minister's salary, I need a matching grant ...

20. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

You expect people, within 24 hours, to completely reverse their opinion of someone on evidence that is new to them, coming from someone who has no problem telling lies about people who he doesn't like?