1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hanging of the Greens

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gigabyte71, Dec 2, 2014.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Druid. :laugh:

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

And on another thread Masons are being excoriated for some of their so-called pagan practices. Just what does "hanging of the green" have to do with worship of God in spirit and truth.

3. T Alan

T Alan New Member

The "Christ candle", really? Oh, yeah! Peter lit a "Christ Candle" that night in the jail to see how to walk out, right? (sorry, that was with all the self control I could muster [insult snipped])

#43 T Alan, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  4. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Yes, to the flowers. BUT, we don't place any significance on them, or try to build a link to "Christ" by them, they are merely like paint on the wall.

Yes and No, to my attire. Sometimes I do, somtimes it's jeans and shirt. The Scriptural authority to wear clothing is evident it think.

Yes, to the car. Jesus walked and rode the colt of a donkey, today's equivalence to a small car.

So, there is much difference to using modern conveniences in the Church and bringing in "things" to try to tie to "Christianity" that just doesn't make the reach, Preach Tony

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I have no problem with any of the things I listed, I just don't think it's right to require others to give scriptural evidence when you don't feel it necessary to provide your own. Just saying...

6. T Alan

T Alan New Member

I am glad you're "jus sayin". Please, feel free to "Jus say" anytime.

7. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

In this and other posts you have done a masterful job of expressing your views on the accoutrements of Christmas. Now I'm curious, do you in any way celebrate the birth of our Lord?

If so, what do you do?

If not, why not?

8. OldRegular

Have you never heard of the Septuagint?

9. OldRegular

Hymns are not necessary to give an invitation. i believe they are used to stir emotions!

Throw them out and save the money. a cappella is much better!

Not a problem!

Roman Catholic influence!

Put the choir in the congregation. It will improve congregational singing and eliminate choir tendency to become performance oriented rather than worship oriented!

Depends on the size of the congregation but individual cups can prevent the spread of disease.

Just how does hanging of the green and stained glass windows add to the worship of HOLY GOD?

10. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Thanks for asking Zenas, I believe the LORD Jesus was born in late September. But, I do read the accounts in Matthew and Luke and contemplate the account. But have you ever thought about it like this. Jesus was born TO DIE. The entire purpose of His birth was so that He could DIE. Not just of old age but a BLOODY death up on a cross. For the Atonement of the Elect. Propitiation to the Father. I see much more biblical support for celebrating the Passover. You know Jesus was the Pasche (Passover) not "Easter" as the KJT words it. YHWH, Himself instituted the Passover celebration and said to keep it. Although I am not Jewish, I would say there is more "biblical reason" to keep the Passover feast than to bring an evergreen tree into the house and decorate it and tell the children that a Santa Claus is going to bring toys if they are good. To that I say BAH HUMBUG.. (false, Imposter) But with all this said, what a person does in his/her home is far less concerning to me than what The Church does.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

11. T Alan

T Alan New Member

BTW ZENAS, since you asked. I have an artificial tree up in my house. At some point my wife and daughter will decorate it. I might even help a little. But, it is all done with me constantly complaining and stating all the reasons we shouldn't do it. But I do NOT associate any of it in anyway with the birth of Christ and am vocal about it and another Btw, I leave the tree up year round and joke when my daughter's friends come by that it's not a Christmass tree It a ___________________ tree. (insert current month):laugh:

#51 T Alan, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  12. T Alan

T Alan New Member

It doesn't add anything in my book. Matter of fact, If our Gathering did so ,I would be so busy fuming I couldn't worship.

13. OldRegular

Excellant points. Jesus Christ was the only person born fot the purpose of dying. Scripture tells us that Jesus Christ is our passover, sacrificed for us:

1Corinthians 5:7. Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us .

However, at Easter we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the greatest event in Christendom, without which there would be no Church. Many people who call themselves Christians frequently, perhaps more often than not, trivialize what actually occurred some 2000 years ago when the Christ Child was born to the Virgin Mary in a stable in the Judean town of Bethlehem. It is true that we celebrate that birth at Christmas and we may, amid the feasting and gift exchange, take a moment to reflect, even marvel, about the birth of the Christ Child. Yet do we comprehend in any way what the incarnation cost God. God the Son, the Second Person of the Trinity, for a time laid aside His Glory, but His Deity, His Holiness, He could not lay aside and yet for some 33 years He lived as a man among sinful man. And one day this Incarnate God, Jesus Christ, who often called Himself the Son of Man walked up a hill and there fulfilled the purpose for which He was born. Indeed He became our Passover.

We would do well to look beyond the “manger”and consider:

No Grace, No Incarnation;
    No Incarnation, No Cross;
    No Cross, No Resurrection;
    No Resurrection, No Hope.

Jesus Christ did not die on the Cross so the the Church for which He died could become a place of entertainment. The Church is an assembly of the redeemed gathered to worship Holy God in spirit and in truth but we have made it a place similar to that which Jesus Christ cleansed with a scourge of cords.

Believing this I heartedly agree that

#53 OldRegular, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Infractions will be given for insulting another brother or sister in Christ because they may (or may not) practice something you don't agree with.

Ask all to grow up, play nice or we will start hanging some out to dry (on the greens)

Grif

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And where do you see the piano?!?

16. T Alan

T Alan New Member

In the front to the left of the Pulpit. It could however be hidden. Probably the best option. ;)

17. T Alan

T Alan New Member

My intent was sarcasm as humor not intended to insult. Since the above thread publicly indicates there was an "insult snipped" I feel it necessary to issue this disclaimer and say: I apologize to my brother in Christ RevMitchell for my mis speaking. May he and others be able to forgive and accept this apology. God Bless.

18. gigabyte71

gigabyte71 Member

What? The church we saw this at literally sang 'O Christmas Tree' as the closing song. Wondered if this was how every version of this thing ended.

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Done.................

20. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the reaction to "hanging greens". Some how the mind goes from a little country church to an oak grove full of naked pagens. I get it. But don't dismiss it out of hand just because you assume it is something it is not.

Nobody is worshipping the greens, earth, trees, false gods and myth. Hanging of the greens is simply a tool to teach biblical truths. It is called an object lesson. For those of you who reject the greens because it does not appear in Scripture miss the point. Object lessons appear all over the Gospels.

Jesus was a master of the use of the object lesson. He used a coin of Caesar to teach us the difference between the kingdom of man and the Kingdom of God. He had a child sit on His lap and went on to teach about childlike faith. He used a well full of water to illustrate living water.

Mustard seeds, grape vines, fishing nets,lillies, sparrows and the hairs on our head were tools in His teaching. He used a basic principle of teaching by starting with something his learners knew and used it as a bridge to teach a new truth.

Hanging of the Greens is an extended object lesson - something known used to engage the learner toward spiritual truths.