1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hank Hanegraaff ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by west, Sep 14, 2005.

1. west

west New Member

I saw were BIBLE ANSWER MAN Hank Hanegraaff moved from California to Carolina wonder why ?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Probably a number of factors. Such as the continuous fallout he's had to deal with since a lawsuit filed against him for fraud ten years ago, alleging numerous ethical lapses, financial theft, tax fraud, criminal activities and deceptive practices, including a violation of the federal racketeering act.

It might have something to do with the underhanded tactics Hanegraaff engaged in when he took over CRI. In fact, Jill Martin-Rische, whose family founded CRI, has publicly accused Haanegraaff of stealing CRI from her family. She said that she considered Hanegraaff to have evolved into another Benny Hinn: both arrogant, proud and both having become incredibly wealthy via manipulation of Christians in various ways and forms.

The Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability in 2003 confronted Hanegraff about mishandling of CRI funds, such as CRI paying $66,000 for a blue Lexus purchased for Hanagraff’s use, in the same year that CRI did across the boar layoffs cited by "a lull in giving".

Hanegraaff has also been accused by people of plagiarism. The most notable case being plagiarizing the works of Dr D James Kennedy.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I used to like to listen to his radio program when we lived in Southern CA....not that we always agreed with him, but he had some interesting discussions.

4. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

On the air Hanegraff stated that one of the reasons for the relocation was due to the high rising costs of doing business and living in California.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Cyberdove, that's amusing, because Haanegraaff lived in a multimillion dollar estate in Coto De Caza, an exclusive affuent area in South Orange County. Plus, he was a member of a country club that CRI paid annual dues on (which were in the thousands per year).

6. west

west New Member

Wow what a reply .I listen to him once in awhile .

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Ya know,

I never hear all this horrid stuff about big names in Christian circles. But there are a few who seem to always have a bunch of dirt on them. I don't know who their connections are, or maybe they subscribe to the Associated Press, or what. It has just always amazed me how this kind of negative stuff gets spread.

I have no idea if its true, west. I wouldn't think that Johnv is lying, Im not accusing him of that, but who knows what the sources are like?

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

bapmom, I live in Orange County, and am just a few miles from where Hanegraaf lives. We OC folk have been aware of Haanegraaf for quite a while. When he was sued in OC superior court, it was big local news.

What I've posted in my earlier post is accurate and true. And there are several former employees that I personally know who can verify it all. (CRI employs several hundred people, and most folks here know at least one person who used to work for them).

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Johnv, you near Laguna Beach?

10. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

One of my problems with H.H. is that he sometimes accuses other ministries of "selling and sensationalism", but the fact is that about every other one of his radio shows is an infomercial to sell his books, etc. Or another guys book that he gets a cut from.

Because I have posted on Walter Martin's message board for about five years now I have heard all this before. But I am always reluctant to tell others in case I am wrong about him to some degree.

I say that I would not recommend that anyone support his ministry. I have seen a picture of his house in California, and it is quite extravagant.

This is straight from the horse's mouth on Hank:

http://www.waltermartin.org/cri.html

More bad news on Hank from a former employee:

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Psychology/cri/law.htm

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does marketing and have a nice home have to do with his doctrine? Instead of insulting the man, let's have some doctinal errors and dislikes with scripture and sources posted. I'm sure every preacher on TV has a nice house. You can't disqualify a man for his income and worldly possessions.

12. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

BTW, I forgot to mention a funny story about the first time I purchased a book from Hank's CRI shortly after I got saved.

The book arrived about six months later via Japan. That's right, Japan. You see the book was sent by mistake to a Christian Marine that was stationed at some base there, and he took the time and expense to mail me the book.

I still can't figure out how he got it. Our's names weren't even close.

13. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    His doctrine, at least on the essentials, is sound. However, this does not excuse the sin of plaigarism, which has been well documented by Rob Bowman on his website.

HH spoke at my church a few weeks ago. It's hard for me to be respectful of a guy who uses intentionally obscure words such as "infanticipating" instead of "pregnant."

Overall, most of his teachings are sound. The best part of CRI is the magazine, CRI Journal. Read it and ignore you-know-who.

14. NateT

NateT Member

I don't listen to his show anymore. I personally got tired of people calling in with a question (say about the millenium) and his answer was essentially that he had a book coming out in a month or so that would answer that question.

He didn't answer the guy's question on the air at all. If he had answered it and said "for more info see _____" it would have been different, but it happened several times when I tuned in, and I lost interest.

I usually thought his answers (if I heard one) were sound, and at least biblically based. We might have a different idea as far as the interpretation went, but by and large I saw him attempting to use the Bible as the source for his answers.

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog, while you have a very valid point, one's ACTIONS define the doctrines he/she REALLY believes. For example, I profess to all to be a Christian and a Baptist. Now, if you saw me going into a house of ill fame late at night while smoking a bong so strong that its smoke made the streetlights turn green, would you believe I was TRULY a Christian?

"The love of money is a root of all sorts of evil".

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

but robycop,

dealing strictly with the "nice home" issue, isn't it unfair to determine that someone has an evil love of money simply because they have a very nice home?

Arent Christians allowed to be "filthy" rich if God so chooses to bless them?

17. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the radio he is usually correct in answering questions. If you allow that he is a preterist (although he doesn't like that word).

My biggest fault with him is that sometimes people call who are simple, ordinary folk. And all they want is a simple, ordinary, easy to understand answer. But he goes on and on, in big words, and I know he is talking way over their heads. I want to break in and say, "For goodness sake, just answer the question!"

18. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Debby. What you saed.

19. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

No, but there is a point where people want their donations to go to ministry. Not golf and a new Lexus for the 'minister'.

BTW, his doctrine on end times is stink-ooooooo.

I must say that I agree with him most of the time on the essentials. I like to listen to his show, but I would never donate to his ministry. Many people do though that don't know about his extravagance. Don't you think that they have a right to know?

20. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Well Jack,

how do you know that any of the donations to the ministry went into his own private pocket instead?

Couldn't he have investments that have given him some good income? And Im sure he has a salary, which most non-profits do pay their people.

It just seems presumptive to assume that he is dishonest simply because he has a really nice house.

I agree with the things people have said they had a hard time with about his show. Id seen those same things. I just hate to condemn a man simply on the fact that he has alot of money. I wouldn't assume that ministry donations were going into his pocket, thats all. Innocent until proven guilty, ya know?