1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Happy Easter Everybody!!!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JerryL, Mar 22, 2008.

1. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Thought this would be a good time to post a little Easter article.

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Happy Easter Brother :1_grouphug:

3. billreber

billreber New Member

Happy Resurrection Day, brothers and sisters!

Bill :godisgood:

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I found this in A Systematic Study of Bible Doctrine by Thomas Paul Simmons, 1935. Page 9.

PROOF OF THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS
    After hearing a conversation on a railroad train between two men who were discussing the possibility of being deceived about the resurrection of Jesus, W. E. Fendley, a lawyer from Mississippi wrote an article that was published in The Western Recorder of December 9, 1920.
    He approached the matter as a lawyer, and he gave the three following reasons for denying the plausibility of the suggestion that the body was stolen:
    (1) It was not a good time for stealing the body. The fact that three Jewish feasts came at the time of the crucifixion makes it certain that the streets of Jerusalem would be full of people. For that reason, Mr. Fendley says, it was not a good time for stealing the body.
    (2) There were five penalties of death attached to the stealing of the body, and not one of those penalties was imposed or carried out. The penalties are given as being:
    Allowing the seal of the tomb to be broken
    Breaking the seal
    Stealing the body
    Allowing the body to be stolen
    Going to sleep on duty.
    (3) Premeditated and unpremeditated testimony. Mr. Fendley shows how the soldiers came from the sepulcher and said that an angel had driven them away from the tomb; and that when bribed by the Pharisees, they told that the body of Jesus was stolen while they slept.

Mr. Fendley goes on to give five things which people must believe in order to believe the report of the soldiers:
    They must believe that 64 Roman soldiers, under the penalty of death, all slept at once.
    They must accept the testimony of sleepers
    They must believe that the disciples who were so afraid, all at once became tremendously bold.
    Again, they must believe that the thieves took plenty of time to fold up the grave clothes and place them neatly to one side
    They must also believe that those disciples would risk their lives for a dead imposter, when they would not for a living Saviour.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Body! Body?
    Who's got the body?"

A talk with this title, that I heard given by a secular college student 40 years ago, remains to this day, the best summary I ever heard on the resurrection, and I'm a graduate of a Bible College, have studied this, and heard countless messages on this, in the interrum.

Have a great day, everyone, as well.

Gotta' get to services. If not, there might be some folks I might miss seeing again until at least Christmas, and maybe not for another whole year. ;)

Ed

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

A Happy Easter to All!