1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Happy Mother's Day: Woman pregnant with 18th child

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by webdog, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

When did it become wrong for older siblings to take care of the younger ones under the direct and competent supervision of mom and dad? That line of reasoning for calling it ridiculous is itself ridiculous and frankly, judgmental. Shame on those who would judge this couples' freedom to follow what they believe is right for them. Is this the United States or China?

#21 sag38, May 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20134584/

"With that many children, organization is everything. Each older child has one or two younger “buddies” for whom he or she is responsible."

"Fifteen-year-old Jill is responsible for preparing lunch, which is served at noon."

"At 4, the children work on individual studies while Jana, 17, prepares dinner, which is served at 5."

"With so many children, there is a sign-up list in the kitchen for children who feel they need one-on-one time with a parent."

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can mom supervise...when the children need to sign up in the kitchen to RECEIVE one on one time?!?

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Judgemental, Judgemental, Judgemental

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Reality, reality, reality.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know families of a large number of children (9, 13 and 14). Even *I* with just 4 children depend on my older ones to help the youngers when they're home. I also expect them to care for much of the stuff in the home - and they are both capable of living on their own.

I disagree that it's child labor and abuse - I think it's family. I agree with those who have said that large families in the past always did this sort of thing. The mothers who had 10+ children were still responsible for cooking (which was much tougher than today), cleaning (much tougher than today), laundry (which would have been a full time job in and of itself with 10+ children) and providing for the family.

A father is responsible for his children and will answer to the Lord for not providing for them but it is not only the father's responsibility to do all of the childcare. We see that truth in Scripture. Hey, in Scripture, we also understand that even Mary didn't take sole responsibility for raising Jesus because she lost Him on a trip!

The only thing I don't agree with, and I don't put this as "trusting God for her fertility" is the fact that Michelle weans her babies at 6 months so that her fertility will return. If she nursed the children as God designed, she would probably have 1/3 less children than she has (although it is perfectly possible for her fertility to return even IF she continued nursing but it's absolutely not the norm). I nursed my 3rd child to 20 months, never had a return of my cycle yet was able to become pregnant. With my 4th, who nursed to 23 months, my cycle didn't return until 18 months. So changing getting pregnant at 9 months to 18 months would space the children to about 2.5 years apart rather than every 18 months. That's the only thing I don't agree with them on.

Bottom line - they provide for their children, their children are fed, clothed, loved, cared for and show no signs of abuse - emotionally or physically. 18 would be a hard number for any of us to parent fully on our own - help would be needed. Why have a 10 year old babysit for another family when they can babysit for their own siblings? I can guarantee that those kids will be able to run a home of their own fully when the time comes. How many kids get to college never having had a roommate, never having done their own laundry, never having learned to clean a bathroom? I think that's more wrong than having them help with the family.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You are DEAD right. We only had six, but the older always helped with the younger and are better adults for it.

8. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you. To compare this family to the Koresh cult is not accurate. First, we don't know the whole story of what happened at the Koresh compound, but we do know they were very secretive and heavily armed, and prepared to protect that secrecy. This family has had reporters come through their home many, many times. Also, some of the "children" are now young adults, who can take care of themselves. It's not they have a house full of infants screaming for attention.

love,

Sopranette

9. Joe

Joe New Member

This says it all :tear:

"With so many children, there is a sign-up list in the kitchen for children who feel they need one-on-one time with a parent."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20134584/

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It truly is sad...and should NEVER be the case with ANY parent. I'm amazed that so many cannot see how wrong this is...

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And a couple of years ago they were the subject of a TLC\Discovery Channel (I forget which) series ala Little People Big World." IOW, the family has lived pretty much in the open.

Also, has anyone here ever looked at the John Wesley's childhood? Not a whole lot of difference to me.

#31 Squire Robertsson, May 12, 2008
  12. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me the parents are making money on publicity every time they have another child. That bothers me more than them having lots of kids.

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For what it's worth, I'm familiar with Russian Baptist families which tend to be large. My wife is one of 7. One of her brothers also has 7 (the oldest is 28 the youngest 14). They seem to use the same system as the Duggars.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clearly there is no abuse, no neglect, and no biblical violation. They Truely blessed.

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their programs on the Discovery Channel started in 2004 when they had 14.

16. Joe

Joe New Member

Clearly you haven't looked into the story.
    First of all, they are not Baptists. They don't even attend church.
    Dad "home churches" them. Who knows what he teaches
    They are similar in mannerisms and temperament to the FLDS church women
    They look similarly in dress attire. Don't show much emotion, it's all very level.
    They are similarly isolated from the world.

Now Big People Little World is a whole different story. From my view, these folks are Christians and have a very blessed family indeed. They have very distinct personalities, their kids are happy and well-adjusted. The Dad has been raised in chuch, both of his parents are from our area. They attended a very good church. They moved to Oregon to be near their son, daugher in law and grandkids. This family needs to save as much $$ as possible because they do not have a health plan yet have some serious pre-exisiting conditions which go hand in hand with dwarfism. Unlike other disabilities, the government will not cover them and they can't seem to get a plan because of their pre-exisitng conditions.

When there are so many children that some must make an appointment to spend one on one time with their OWN parents, the red flags don't get much brighter.

Funny, I thought that was our job as parents to ensure our children receive an abundance of private, one on one time with us. Silly me...

#36 Joe, May 12, 2008
  17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please go ahead and show what evidence lead you to this fallacy.

I am not aware that I ever made such a claim. Please show me where I did.

This is a concern but has nothing to do with the number of children he has.

Has he made such a claim?

I think you better read the story again. This is incorrect.

You do not know that does not happen. But go ahead and give us the perameters of "abundance".

18. Joe

Joe New Member

Revmitchell you are not even following my words in my posts.

Nor the other posts in this thread.

I'll let you be.

19. Joe

Joe New Member

Agreed. It's quite obvious this is wrong but the reaction here doesn't surprise me. It reminds me how careful we must be with our own children.

Children should not be making appoinments to spend quality one on one time with their own parents.

Not being Baptists, nor attending church, they can't be following biblical doctrine.

#39 Joe, May 12, 2008
  20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have read every one of them. But you are making assertions and denigrating this family unjustly. Good Day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.