1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harris Poll: Favorite sports: NBA and MLB slide, NASCAR & Football increase

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Jan 20, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Harris Interactive - Favorite Sports

According to Harris Interactive, here are Americans' favorite sports, in order.

1. Pro Football
    2. Baseball (MLB)
    3. College football
    4. Auto Racing
    5. Men's College basketball
    6. Hockey
    7. Pro basketball (NBA)
    8. Men's Golf
    9. Boxing
    10. Soccer

Baseball barely beat CFB, and baseball continues a slide. NFL continues to widen its lead. NASCAR had the second highest jump in percentage of popularity. I am pleased to say Hockey beat the NBA [​IMG] (Go Predators). Tennis has slipped even below soccer, which usually beats out only horse racing and bowling. Men's college hoops slid slightly.

Thoughts? Surprises?

I personally think one thing that may be off a bit is now, they split soccer, tennis, golf, and college basketball into men's and women's categories. That may explain why college bball and soccer lost popularity points.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

As long as soccer is at the bottom of the list life is good [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was surprised that baseball was #2, I would have thought it #3 or #4.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I'm surprised that NHL is ahead of NBA. I would put Men's Golf ahead of both of them.

And I agree, Soccer can't be too low. In fact, let's hope next year it falls out of the top 10 to the WNBA.

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I used to love the Red's in baseball until their last strike and I just plain lost interest in baseball. Now, UK basketball is the only sport that I plan things around (everything).

Question: Most sports can have a large following among people who don't actually play themselves but how popular are golf and/or bowling with people who don't participate? For instance, I don't golf and I find it uninteresting but, it I played I think I would enjoy watching it more. Would national attention be paid to these sports if it wasn't for the large base of participants?

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Artimaeus, I'm a huge Reds fan, always will be. Well...almost always. It's hard to see me never rooting for the Reds. I've bled and cried and rejoiced, but mostly bled and cried over the years with them. Good to see the GM being replaced.

I'll answer your question later about golf's participants. You make a decent point.

PastorSBC, I agree...I think College football should be #2. NHL should be higher (GO PREDATORS!)

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Tom, I don't know what happened. I didn't decide to not be interested or I didn't get mad at them particularly. It was just that when they went on that last strike and cancelled the playoffs and world series my enthusiasm just melted away. Maybe one day I will get it back, I knida miss it.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I felt the same way after the 94 strike. Before the strike, the Reds were my team. After the strike, I have yet to find a team that I really care about, though I have several teams that I traditionally love to make fun of, including the Cubs, Cardinals, and Yankees. I added the Red Sox to that list in 2005 because of John Henry's actions that have directly impacted a hobby of mine.

Aaanyway, as to the OP, I'm surprised that hockey made the list ahead of the NBA after they cancelled an entire season. It would be interesting to see where the NBA landed in the 90s when Jordan was still playing.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

CC makes a great point. If the NHL had not cancelled an entire season, would it have been higher?

For me personally, favorite sports I like to watch:
    1. College football
    2. College basketball (TIE)
    2. NFL (TIE)
    4. MLB
    5. Hockey
    6. Golf
    7. NASCAR
    8. NBA
    9. Other auto racing
    10. College Baseball
    11. Horse Racing
    12. Tennis
    13. Soccer (World Cup only)

College baseball goes up if we're talking about the baseVols [​IMG] I'm more likely to watch men's golf as the LPGA, but I'd still rather watch the LPGA than some of the lesser sports on my list. The NBA at one time would've been in my top four or five. The NHL might come behind golf if not for the 2006 Stanley Cup Champion Nashville Predators [​IMG] We're coming for you, Detroit :cool: