1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has Anyone Spoken with God Lately, and He with You?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Aug 27, 2011.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:) :) :)

Meditating on the Words and Works of our God. Essentially times of personal Worship.

Psalm 77:12 (NKJV) {12} I will also meditate on all Your work, And talk of Your deeds.
    Psalm 119:15 (NKJV) {15} I will meditate on Your precepts, And contemplate Your ways.
    Psalm 119:27 (NKJV) {27} Make me understand the way of Your precepts; So shall I meditate on Your wonderful works.
    Psalm 119:97 (NKJV) {97} Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day.
    Psalm 119:99 (NKJV) {99} I have more understanding than all my teachers, For Your testimonies are my meditation.
    Psalm 143:5 (NKJV) {5} I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your works; I muse on the work of Your hands

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Just curious....

Is there no "middle ground" such as "I feel God is leading me to reach out to that particular individual," or "I believe God wants me to go to that church?" Do you also consider such statements "deceived?"

3. Skandelon

Jesus said,

"12 "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you." - Jn 16

Do you all believe this passage is ONLY for the apostles or is he addressing all future believers?

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God inspired more than the Apostles, i.e Luke, John Mark, James. However, I believe the once the foundation was laid in the 1st century, those gifts were withdrawn so now we have teaches and evangelists but not Prophets and Apostles. But on the other hand I think our indwelt Holy Spirit helps (guides) us toward spiritual maturity. The key difference with the guidance given to me is that it is only applicable to me, as opposed to guidance applicable to the the world, as in the case of the foundation authors. Certainly God could guide a Pastor/Teacher today in preparing a sermon from God's word which is applicable to others but that is "teaching" as opposed to God speaking fresh "scripture" through the Pastor.

#24 Van, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
  5. Skandelon

I was hoping Aaron would answer this question...

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said anyone who says, "God told me . . ."

Your examples are statements one makes about his own thoughts or feelings, which are unauthoritive and inconsequential.

7. Skandelon

So, you don't believe God controls the GOOD thoughts and feelings of his children? Please explain?

8. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Would say that the HS still prompts/convicts/urges etc us internally, but that the SURE WORD to us is the Bible!

As He will bring us divine illumination to the sacred texts. but being "not perfected" yet, can still "misread" the HS inner workings in us!

Also, your passage quoted to aaron to me would be specifically to the Apostles, as jesus confirmed that the NT Apostles would have same insiration from God as the PT Prophets, "thus sayeth the Lord!"

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Puh-LEEZE. I don't know who His children are. Sure, I see lot's of people I think are Christians, but I can't see their hearts. Judging from the outward appearance, Judas seemed to be one of His disciples too.

Anyway, I know what God has said. I've read it through many times, and still read it. I have also read volumes on what others believe God has said through the same Scriptures. And it's interesting, you won't find an Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Henry or Owen who said, "God told me." Or, this is what I think, and my thoughts are controlled by God's Spirit.

I've only heard that through Pentecostals and Charismatics, and lately through the modern-worship Baptists who want to add authority to their pixilated whims.

10. Skandelon

That is beside the point, Aaron. We are discussing the manner in which God actively communicates with his children, not whether or not you recognize his children as such.

I suspect if we dug a bit we could find one of these with a quote speaking of God's guiding or directing them in one direction or another in some manner.

Have you ever had an edifying thought? A inclination to help another? A feeling to give assistance to someone in need?

If you are purely evil and self-fish, isn't that thought/feeling/inclination of God and not yourself?

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

God's speaks to us this way:

"For it is God who works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure." Php. 2:13

I believe most Calvinists would contend this is how He speaks to us, and moves us toward His will, and that He Sovereignly controls us in this method. I don't care if John Calvin, or John Owens, Jonathan Edwards or any such like vindicates, or not, what God's Word clearly states, I'll just believe the Word.

I won't allow what the errant teachings of the AOG, Pentecostals, Charismatics, or those with non-cal theologies, nor those with an Arminian take, calvinists, reformed, nor any teach about God speaking to us to cause me to feel that God does not speak, nor fear that He actually does speak unto His own as though it were erroneous to believe so. His sheep do hear his voice, so obviously He still does speak unto His own today.

None of us can adequately express how He speaks to us, we just know He does.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs:

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son.

The call is to learn of Him, and there is nothing that can be known of Him in this life that is not revealed in the Scriptures.

13. Skandelon

P4T and Aaron, with all due respect, you two don't seem to be saying the same thing.

P4T, seems to be saying, "He still does speak unto His own today," while Aaron is saying that He said everything that needed to be said through Christ as recorded in scriptures? Is that not accurate? Please expound.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

This is one of the best posts I have read on here in quite a while(I am talking about all topics, and not just this thread)! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

15. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

BOTh are true, as that the primary/main source of the HS speaking to Christian will be indeed in the Bible, as THAT is our infallible source of 'speaking" from the lord to us today, but He also can choose to speak to us via Spiritual gifts, or thru His promptings/convictions/urgings etc in our own spirits!