1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Has modern day Christianity been hijacked?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jeremyfarley, Aug 4, 2012.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Nonsense! Christians are finally understanding that they must become involved in governing. For years liberals calling themselves Christians have worked to destroy the Republic and replace it with a Marxist utopia.

Perhaps some of the Rapture Ready folks are beginning to understand that they must be involved!

#21 OldRegular, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  2. OldRegular

When you can justify your support for slaughtering the unborn perhaps people will understand your views better!

3. OldRegular

The Apostle Paul makes an interesting observation following his discussion in Romans 1 of the effect of rejecting the Revelation of God.

Romans 1:28-32
    28. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
    29. Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    30. Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    31. Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
    32. Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

4. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The discussion in this post has been very troublesome...just had to say that. Both sides state things which are true--yet the tone has been awful.

That said...here's my answer, for what it's worth:

I do not believe that liberalism, per se, has hijacked the church. Instead, I believe the church--to a large extent--has been hijacked by what is called "Moralistic Therapeutic Deism."

To understand what I'm saying, please read this article: http://www.christianpost.com/news/moralistic-therapeutic-deism-the-new-american-religion-6266/

In the living or preaching of MTD, man is exalted, God is diminished, and people are deceived. Why else would people hear "9 Ways to Divorce-proof Your Marriage" preached from pulpit after pulpit and think it was biblical? In MTD, preaching turns into moral actions--programs, perhaps--and never is the glory of God upheld.

This is the real hijacking.

The Archangel

5. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange as it seems I have to agree. wow

I recall on 9/12/11 marching in Washington DC with the Tea Party. Our bus dropped us off in front of the White House visitors center. We gathered up our stuff and took our place in line in the road. More than one person said outloud "how do we do this protest march thing". Many, including myself were protesting for the first time.

Who do you think is at the heart of the Tea Party?

6. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are timid when we should be bold, comfortable when we should be uncomfortable, silent when we should be speaking and we should always be living for Christ. We have forgotten the main purpose of the local assembly, to proclaim the gospel of Christ and to train disciples to serve Him. I'm guilty of this sin.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

...and your post is even more rediculous than Jeremey's.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why is that? Because I asked you to answer a question?
    I understand aic...you cannot answer:wavey: God showed what He thought of the issue at Sodom and Gommorah.

9. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's be fair...all of us. The Gospel is not a Democrat/Republican, Liberal/Conservative thing. This is, by the way, one reason I will not put political signs in my own front yard.

When conservatives look at liberals and, hopefully, pray for their salvation, what do we think that conversion will look like? Do we want Nancy Pelosi to turn into Rush Limbaugh?

Rush, who has never to my knowledge divulged his theology, is assumed to the be the poster-child for American Christian Conservatives. But, Christianity is more than being conservative.

What would it look like if a conservative person, perhaps even Rush Limbaugh himself, were to come to Christ? What transformation(s) would have to occur and what might that look like?

If you say "Rush wouldn't have to change anything," you might have confused conservatism with the Gospel--and this is a huge problem for you and a problem in our society.

Now, I do have to wonder how a true Christian can align himself or herself with the Democratic party when considering that the Democratic Party espouses both Abortion and Gay Marriage. Why would a true Christian not distance himself or herself from a group that espouses such anti-biblical things?

I know it is possible to be a liberal and be a Christian. I think a liberal is less likely to be a true believer, but I must admit it is possible.

I will say this: I am a registered Republican...but I am not always happy with what the Republicans do and how they do it. But, on the day they remove the anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage plank from their platform (or put in a pro-abortion or pro-gay marriage, rather than remaining silent) that is the day I become a registered Independent. In fact, calling myself a "Conservatarian" (a mix of conservative and libertarian), the only reason I remain a registered Republican is so that I can vote in primary contests.

For what it's worth, don't confuse Christianity with being a conservative. And don't confuse being God-less with being a liberal. The proof of one's Christianity is in many other, more important things.

The Archangel

10. OldRegular

Very interesting read! Started reading before I checked the author and did not realize the article was by Mohler until I reached bottom. As I was reading it occurred to me that much of the problem is actually addressed by Mohler in his book He Is Not Silent which extolls the virtue of expository preaching.

I believe that the problem goes far beyond the youth and includes many, perhaps a plurality, adults. The Church is filled with Bible illiterates, people who have gone to Church and Bible study for most of their life. I believe this is the result of 45 minutes of churchstuff and 15 minutes of a what I call a Rotary sermon: "3 points surrounded by fluff and then beat the crowd to the restaurant!" And then for Southern Baptists there is the pablum prepared by the SS Board.

Crabtownboy makes an insightful, and sad to say a truthful, observation in an earlier post:

11. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with the above statement. Most adults in evangelical, even Southern Baptist churches(!!!) subscribe, most unknowingly to MTD.

Thankfully, there are some new people--like Trevin Wax--at LifeWay and some of the Sunday School stuff is changing, rapidly and for the much better.

But, most messages are too short and only serve to exposit the preacher's opinion, not the Bible. Too many preachers say "thus says me" when we all ought to be saying "Thus says the Lord."

The Archangel

12. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

haha, I think this mischaracterizes his actual position but it makes for a great motivation to make me feel better about thinking bad thoughts about him.

13. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Archangel...

Thats the point I have been advocating.

When will people EVER get it ??

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen and AMEN and AMEN.

There are those on both sides who do not want to get it. There are those on both sides who do get it. I wish everyone "got it". Then maybe we could have better discussions on this BB.

Thank you for your wise statement.

15. OldRegular

I have expressed this opinion before on this board but I am not sure that Limbaugh really understands what Conservatism is all about. He is an entertainer and has made a lot of money with his mouth as all entertainers do!