1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Has Prophecy Really Ceased ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by tomana, Nov 19, 2012.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He claims that anyone can have ALL the gifts, but he cannot demonstrate that he has ANY of the gifts! Hypocritical isn't it?

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree, and was trying to say as much through my last two sarcastic posts. By the way, as a side note, I made 10000 posts tonight. I have been here seven years, and you twice that, yet, you have three times the posts, and your posts are usually lengthy and in depth theologically. I have learned a lot from your posts especially in the Other Denomination Section.

#42 saturneptune, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you going to repent of your pretence at knowledge of the orginal languages of the Bible? You were dead wrong on the meanings you gave. The Hebrew word does not mean "flow forth" and the Greek word does not mean "speak for another."

Seems like an honest person would admit they were wrong. Are you honest?

#43 John of Japan, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Be sure to post your accomplishment in the General Baptist Forum in the top thread "This is post #..."

5. awaken

awaken Active Member

I have never said I have ALL gifts! I do think they are all available to the church!

6. awaken

awaken Active Member

Yes...but no one can do it at will! Only when the Holy Spirit wills or gives it!

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

I am honest...but just because I do not agree with you does not mean I am dishonest.

8. awaken

awaken Active Member

New Testament example of the gift of prophecy..

Acts 21:8,9 "And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. And the same man had four daughters, vergins, WHICH DID PROPHESY."

Example of the Prophet's Ministry...

Acts 21:10,11 " And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shll the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that woneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles."

The misuse of the gift of prophecy can cause confusion among believers. Prophesy is forth telling. "Speaking unto men to edification, to exhortation and to comfort."

Again the gift of prophecy is not prediction. We can not operate in any of the gifts in the flesh...apart from God.

If this gift as stated above is to edify, exhort and comfort...why would God remove this?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You give examples from the Book of Acts. That demonstrates a lack of understanding in how to interpret the Bible, or "hermeneutics."

1. Act is a historical book, not a doctrinal book.
    2. Acts records the history of the church, not the doctrine of the church.
    3. The book describes a church in transition. There were things that happened in Acts that you won't find anywhere else. We don't use those things for a precedent for doctrine. You gave a good example--virgins prophesying. In other places in the Bible, it instructs the women to keep silence in the church, and not to have authority over a man.
    4. Your use of the Book of Acts (as described above) pits Scripture against Scripture, and has the Bible contradicting itself.
    5. The Book of Acts, as the name indicates, describes the "Acts of the Apostles," and therefore (historically) never went beyond the Apostolic Age. The same is true of the all the gifts of the Spirit. They ended with the apostles (2Cor.12:12; Heb.2:3,4)

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. All the gifts are available.
    2. You can't demonstrate a single one of them.

That makes you a hypocrite. You tell others to practice what you cannot practice yourself.

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

"Where does the Scripture say to ignore the Book of Acts for teaching?
    "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."
    Yes, even the Book of Acts can be used to instruct the church!!

12. awaken

awaken Active Member

No, just makes you a name caller...
    The Holy Spirit has manifested through me many times..tongues..prophecy..word of knowledge..I have prayed for the sick and they have recovered...

13. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Biblical test is applied to prophecy to see if the prophet is a true prophet of God or a false prophet?

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, it's not me you disagreed with in your definitions. It's the scholars who produced the authoritative lexicons I quoted. Your definitions were nowhere to be found there. Now, since your defintions were dead wrong, it seems to me this would be the place for you to say something humble like, "Sorry, I got them elsewhere and thought they were right."

I looked around the Internet and found that you probably got these definitions from some Charismatic website, where the same mistaken definitions abound. Honesty in scholarship (not to mention BB rules) requires that you quote your source. So, where did you get these definitions (since you obviously didn't get them from and Greek or Hebrew dictionary or lexicon)?

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

You are confusing the gift of prophecy with the office of a prophet...

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

I do not get on Charismatic websites to search for definitions..I have a Bible software on my computer...
    Prophecy that is manifested by the Holy Spirit through the church today is speaking, writing, or otherwise communicating a message from God to another person or persons.

Acts 2:17b and 18 says that .."your sons and daughters will prophesy"..

If you will study out prophecy in the scriptures..it reveals the secrets of people's hearts so that they can be closer to God. It is part of the power of God.

17. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You able to prophesy but you are not a prophet.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fine. Give me the source, the software source for your mistaken definitions. It is only intellectual, scholarly honesty to do so, besides being a rule here on the BB.

One thing I know, you sure didn't get your definitions from any Greek or Hebrew dictionary or lexicon. No Hebrew or Greek scholar would give those definitions. Whatever your source was, they were certainly not a scholar.
    Do you have any idea how proud you sound? As if you had studied prophecy and no one else has? I've studied out prophecy extensively in the Scriptures, done two 12 lecture DVD sets in Japanese on prophecy, taught through several of the prophetic books in Japanese Bible schools. Yet I don't have the arrogance to say to you, "Study out prophecy" as if you've done no study. I think your studies have led you to the wrong conclusions, but I don't treat you like a new believer.

Your whole attitude from the start here on the BB has been that pride, as if you had discovered things never before thought of, and you have everything absolutely right so every one should sit at your feet. And I don't recall you ever once admitting you were wrong. And you actually expect us all to swallow all you say. That's the Charismatic movemen for you.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Step up and face the truth. You tell others that such gifts as miracles, healing, tongues, prophesy, signs and wonders, are available to them, but you cannot demonstrate a single one of them today. That is hypocrisy. That is the truth. And you can't face it.
    Yes, and there are green aliens living on Mars and the Holy Spirit is manifesting Himself there too. You live in a dream world--one where you get to redefine Biblical words for your own convenience. The very things that you mentioned have ceased. You have the counterfeit. It is obvious that nothing above is the genuine gift.

I have prayed many times for healing, and God has healed. So what? Praise the Lord that God heals. That doesn't mean I have the gift of healing. It doesn't mean you do either. It means that God answers prayer, and that is all. The OT saints had their prayers answered and Pentecost hadn't even come yet. Do you remember Hezekiah? He prayed for healing. God told Isaiah to go and tell him that he would be healed, and he was. There was no special anointing. God is a God that answers prayer. There is no gift of healing today. If there was we would see large mass healings on the scale of Acts 5:16, but we don't.

You don't have a "word of knowledge," and never did. If you do, you are a heretic! It is a revelatory gift for giving revelation. We have the Bible. For you to be claiming to be adding to the Bible is heresy. That is the Biblical "word of knowledge." It is a revelatory gift.

As per, 1Cor.13:8, prophecy has also ceased. If you had prophesied you would also be a heretic. You are claiming to have the gift of prophesy. The again is a revelatory gift. You would be adding to the Bible, claiming to have revelation when none is needed, and all is finished. You change the meanings of Biblical terminology to fit your own man-made religion started just 100 years ago, and never heard of before that. You throw away 1900 years of Christianity and claim that they are all wrong. Unbelievable!

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

NO, I am not called to be a prophet. Start at Acts 2 where it says who can prophesy. There is so much more about the manifestations of the Holy Spirit that is not taught in most churches.