1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Has Prophecy Really Ceased ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by tomana, Nov 19, 2012.

1. awaken

awaken Active Member

Why don't we just let the Bible interprete prophecy...
    "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."
    But he that prophesieth edifieth the church..
    He would rather we all prophesy
    Acts says ..your daughters and sons can prophesy! He did not say some he said sons and daughters!

Anytime you speak words to edify, exhort or comfort that the Holy Spirit brings to your spirit...are you not prophesying?

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No that is not prophecy. You have been given an accurate definition of prophecy and have rejected it. That is as good as rejecting the Word of God. It is an example of you redefining Scriptural terminology. This is exactly what I mean. You don't allow the Bible to interpret itself. You re-interpret it; inventing your own religion with redefined definitions according to your own presuppositions. You should be ashamed. You reject the wisdom and knowledge of others.

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

"But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a definition, it is a description of results.

If I say, "He gave a speech, which excited the voters enough that they elected him," the fact that it excited the voters is not a definition of the word "speech," but a description of the result of that particular speech.

5. awaken

awaken Active Member

Prophecy is calling forth words from the Spirit of God to edify, exhort and comfort the hearers. This has not ended!

The gift of prophecy (1 Cor. 12) and the office of the prophet (Eph. 4:11) is not the same thing.

There is a ministry of a prophet, but not everyone is a prophet. You may prophesy, but operating in the simple gift of prophesy does not qualify you to stand in the office of a prophet.

Prophecy is not interpretation of tongues. Both are inspired utterances, but tongues is in an unknown tongue (to the speaker). Interpretation is telling what was spoken in the tongue. Prophecy, on the other hand, is inspired utterance in a "known" tongue. Interpretation is dependent on tongues, whereas prophesy is not.

Prophecy is not prediction..It is forthtellling what the Holy Spirit tells him. It is a ministry to make people better and more useful Christians now.

Prophecy is not preaching..THe words preach and prophesy comes from two entirely different Greek words. To preach means to proclaim, announce, cry or tell. Jesus said "Go ye into all the world, and PREACH the gospel (Mark 16:15) He did not say go and prophesy.

Prophesy means "to bubble up, to flow forth, or to cause to drop like rain." Teaching and preaching are preplanned, but prophecy is not.

We are to "despise not prophesying. Prove all things."

Prophecy has not ceased!

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not an answer to my post. Don't you ever answer what is actually written? :rolleyes:

And again, your definition is ludicrous. "To bubble up, to flow forth, or to cause to drop like rain"? Where in the world did you get that definition? Do you have the guts this time to actually give your source?

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

It was in my notes on Spiritual gifts that I had taken at a Bible conference. If they gave their source I did not write it down.

But it fits how He describes how the Holy Spirit will flow like a river through us! It is the HOly Spirit that is being manifested! It is the Holy Spirit that gives the utterance! It is all about the supernatural...nothing our flesh/ self can take credit for.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you! At last you've given a source. You should be giving sources all along as per Baptist Board rules, not to mention common scholastic practice.

I'm sorry, but whoever it was who gave that definition was way off the mark. It doesn't fit how the word is used in the Bible
    I don't care if "it fits" or not. You can't simply define words like you want to just because "it fits". What is important is how the word is used, not if "it fits."

How is the word used in the Bible? There is no place in the Bible where it is "to bubble up, to flow forth, or to cause to drop like rain," as your source says. The words prophecy prophesy prophesied prophet prophets occur in 557 verses in the KJV, and in not one single time is this usage found. Prophecy in neither Hebrew nor Greek does the word have anything to do with water.

Prophecy is used in the Bible in two ways: foretelling and forthtelling.

(1) Foretelling is when God uses the prophet to foretell the future, to give God's plan for the future. Therefore I named one course I taught on prophecy, "Future History." Look at the many ways the OT prophesied the birth of Jesus--many different prophecies foretelling exactly the birth life and death of our Savior: where He would be born, that his mother would be a virgin, what His name would be, that he would be in Egypt for awhile, etc.

Yet you wrote, "Prophecy is not prediction." Technically you are right, since predictions may or may not come true. God's prophecies of the future always come true. In the NT, the classic example of foretelling prophecy is Agabus (Acts 11:28 & 21:10-11). Agabus foretold the future with 100% accuracy. Yet you've left out Agabus completely in your description of prophecy.

(2) Forthtelling prophecy is when the prophet speaks the word of the Lord, a message from God (not interprets like in preaching, simply speaks it). This meaning occurs very often in the Bible. Ezek. 13:1-8 is a good example of forthtelling prophecy, after which Ezekiel foretells.

Tell you what. You really want to study this stuff as a layman? Get Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words and you'll be much more convincing: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785211608/?tag=baptis04-20.

9. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the MO if our new found spiritual buddies is to be just ever so slightly obnoxious and in time someone will get frustrated explaining the obvious and say something unkind, allowing the "prophet" to complain about the unchristian behavor of those of us who aren't buying this stuff.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aptly put. :thumbsup: