1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

has the church gone sissified?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Aug 6, 2010.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lovey dovey might be a better term than sissified.

Don't get me wrong--SOME lovey dovey, especially in the music, is ok. Just shouldn't be ALL or MOST of it, in my opinion.

But yeah, lovey dovey sermons that picture Jesus as a heartbroken lover weeping and waiting with His hands tied unable to do anything until we call on Him, and then the only purpose He serves is to make us feel good about ourselves again.

Like God is totally helpless.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, I think songs such as At the Cross, The Old Rugged Cross and such is the foundation of our Gospel! :praying:

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Yeah, although I would put the word "worship" in quotations.

We call that stuff "Jesus is my girlfriend" music.

4. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I would say many of the churches I've experienced over the years are sissified, but for a different reason than you have stated. they have gone the seeker sensative approach or the Church Growth approach because someone within the church was sold a bill of goods that has led to what we see today in these churches. Either a Pastor or other church leaders have introduced a change in how they do church and the church as a individual body of believers has stood silent, or as the OP stated sissified. Good men and women have let their leaders hijack the church to draw in the unchurched to entertain them. VERY SAD!

The churches have sold out to the Saddleback/Willow Creek models and it had to start with one man introducing this to their individual church. I saw it happen in our old church and many stood by and said nothing or agreed. The ones who did disagree were told to follow along or get out of the way. These programs or philosophies are sold with this mindset. Rick Warren even has stated how to overcome any objectors and it isn't biblical.

True men and women of God need to stand up for the gospel and stop allowing this liberal worldview to permeat the churches. Me included.

5. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

SolaSaint--ever considered home missions in Colorado?

6. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

No, Please tell me about home missions in CO.

7. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

We are definitely out of the Bible belt. We are a strange mixture of highly conservative folks and very very liberal, new age, full moon drum circle goddess worshippers out here in Colorado.

Many of the smaller towns have no Baptist church at all of any kind. Those that do usually have just one. If it is healthy, cool, but if it is strange (and some are very strange!) folks have no idea of what Baptists really believe.

It's a fertile field as far as being ripe for harvest by church planters. However, we've moved around quite a bit and I have to say I think this would also be one of the toughest fields for church planters.

But we really need folks to try, especially if they are fluent in Spanish, or can connect with oilfield workers, or are gifted at working with military families, or willing to live in ranch country and work with a small, far flung group of rural people.

We really are frontier work in many parts of the state as far as Baptist work goes.