1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has the Holy Ghost ever convicted you?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 14, 2019.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wondering if any of my Baptist brothers have ever experienced the hand of His conviction and corrective words in your heart for something you needed to repent of and get fixed before Him in a spirit of humbleness and recompense?

And if you have, how did you test the Spirit to know it was of God and not personal guilt or judgement cast upon you from another in your life?

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not certain that it is wrong to have the source of the need to repent questioned.

That the repentance is Godly and honestly seeking His cleansing, then whether it is the Prophet Nathan standing bringing the truth, or the circumstances of life bringing you aware, I am not certain it matters.

Now, one in their heart knows the difference between self agenda driven feelings of sorry one got caught and that repentance that pours from the heart that seeks restored fellowship even if it brings a good scouring.

More specific to your question concerns the answer to "the personal guilt or judgment cast upon you from another in your life?"

Here one must set aside two major obstacles.

1) the purpose described above.
    2) the agenda and priority concerning that other person. Does that other person have a vested interest, to what end is the interest (your good, theirs, combination), and what is to be gained by that person. That is does the person want a certain power over you by potential damage the confession may bring to your relationship with others or between you and them.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the Holy "Ghost" hasn't, but the Holy SPIRIT has!

He helped me break the habit ic "cussing", which I'd acquired in the Navy while unsaved. I just couldn't break it on my own ! But HE broke me of it by His mighty supernatural power !

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That deserves a huge, big AMEN!

5. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was lost in sin for 10 years after coming to a mustard seed of faith out of Deism in early college, I would have called it atheism back then but that was dishonest of me to do. I became a Christian and was doing great for several months, reading the Word, growing in a southern baptist church, learning to avoid going against my conscience, being vocal about my faith at college.

However, 9 months after becoming a Christian I made the worst decision of my life and became a Charismatic. Three and a half years ago I came to a much deeper point of faith. I was losing any vestige of faith rapidly at that point as the number of years of torment due to illnesses added up with no relent in sight. I read 1 Corinthians 15 and realized I didn't look forward to the resurrection since I was an apostate doomed at the Judgment. I was going against my conscience out of habit, I was a liberal Christian in a liberal seminary studying to be a liberal pastor (despite starting as a southern baptist), I was a false prophet because I had the "gift of prophecy" and was so in my heart and to those that would listen, I was a false teacher, and I preached a false Gospel that hated anything to do with childlike faith in Jesus Christ. I argued that faith was wrong and that what we could not prove should be ignored in Christianity. I came to the conclusion I was damned, and felt tremendous conviction from that point forward until I put faith back in the Word, to include Jesus Christ.

I struggled with self-righteousness for a month, thinking I was good and deserved heaven despite growing conviction otherwise. After a month of stark raving mad terror at death and what I faced, I allowed myself to accept my doubts in Jesus Christ and His Word one night and chose to have faith again, without going purely on what I could prove.

Wow, I changed fast as I abandoned sin after sin and realized that I had to go back to a conservative faith. I studied the bible carefully, putting it into practice. However, Charismatic influence would be my final hill to die on it seems. I am still tempted to go back to Charismaticism, and I am still finding things to abandon that I was so used to.

God has disciplined me much in the last 3.5 years, but thank Him I am one of His children, His correction of me proves it according to Hebrews 12!