1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has Tim LaHaye?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Oct 20, 2007.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Can you decode? :laugh:

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I can't think of a single thing to say about his school that would be edifying :D

Actually, I said a few things when it first opened, but I decided not to repeat them here.

(I'm not a fan if no one has noticed, so I should keep my trap shut. ;) to do do no damage. )

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Well everybody critisizes Billy Graham too.
    It might surprize some calvinist that there are those who think that calvinist are not doctrinally sound.
    Secondary separation,thirdary separation,fourdary separation,just how far should we separate ourselves.
    Eat the cherries and spit out the pits.
    I never cared much for fiction anyhow.

Whatever happened to loving one another? :godisgood: :tonofbricks:

5. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Uhm...I wasn't directing my post at anyone personally..sorry if it appeared that way. Nope, I'm not interested in reading someone's blog on this series because anybody can write a blog on the internet...doesn't necessarily mean they know what they're talking about or even that they are who you think they are. I love the books, and I'm just the kinda person that once I make up my mind about something, you're not likely to change it. :thumbs: Thanks for the offer, though. :)

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Ok, fine.

Of course. That's why you read the blog to find out if the author a) knows what he/she is talking about and b) has an axe to grind. In the case of the slacktivist, he clearly knows what he's talking about and his purpose is a good one.

May I ask why?

7. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Sure you can ask ;) . I like them because I have a general love for fiction books, but a fiction book that incorporates Biblical truths is even better! Like I said, I know of a lot of people who have been saved as either a direct or indirect result of the books or the movies. Whether you agree with the presentation or the theology or not, you can not truly hate something that makes people want to learn more about God. I really loved the story line and hated the wait in between the release of each book. The last one Kingdom Come was really awesome. Of course, the one right before that Glorious Appearing was great also. I am so left-brained, it is almost impossible for me to picture scenes in my head, but reading those books, I could actually picture Jesus coming back and see the army of the devil turning tail and running! Any book that can actually give me a mental picture is a good book, especially if that picture is of Jesus!

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The less I say about Left Behind, the better, but I will say that I have nothing but contempt for those books.

9. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

Are you A-mil?

10. jharres

jharres New Member

Here, Here!

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

They are not high on my list either - for biblical accuracy or for literary prowness, but I do have people come throught the media center who say that they came to know the Lord or were brought back into fellowship due to the reading of them. SO they have served a purpose even though they are no my cup of tea.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Ummmmmm!! Sorry, youngmom

But

The truth from the Truth teaches that the devil doesn't "turn tail and run" as you would say-----let the Scripture tell the truth about the Truth---he doesn't run---he's defeated and cast into the Lake of Fire

Sorry to burst your bubble---but nowhere in Holy Scripture does it teach that the devil turns tail and runs

13. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Look back at the post you quoted again...I didn't say the devil runs, I said his ARMY turns tail and runs; and that is absolutely Biblical. I am well aware that the devil is defeated, bound for 1000 years, and then cast into the lake of fire. Please don't misquote me for the sake of continuing a debate. :BangHead: The fact is there are a lot of Christians who are Christians because of these books. If you don't like them, don't read them, but don't accuse Tim LaHaye of being a false prophet just because you don't happen to enjoy his writing style.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Resist the devil..and he will "flee" from you?

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

LaHaye didn't write Left Behind, he supplied the "theology".

Jerry Jenkins wrote them and the writing is awful.

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I've always been pretty skeptical, and turned off, by those books. It seems that they use the newspapers to interpret Scripture quite often. Not a hermeneutic I'd advise.

17. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Semantics...it was a collaboration. Both were involved in the writing, though you are probably right that LaHaye was mostly responsible for theology and Jerry B. Jenkins was mostly responsible for spinning the fictional story. If you don't enjoy the writing, don't read the books. I find it absolutely amazing the little things that people can find to argue about today. Do you really think when you get to Heaven God is going to applaud you for insulting Tim LaHaye or Jerry Jenkins? Do you really believe He will say "man, I'm sure glad you realized that writing was terrible...never mind the fact that some came to know Jesus because of it, the writing was just awful...." :laugh: Give me a break. Some people like it, some don't. Some people like Steven King, some don't? Do you really think he cares either way? Is it really important in the eternal scheme of things? Should we not be rejoicing at the fact that so many people have become Christians as a result of this series? Frankly, no one will know whether the theology is accurate until they (a) get to Heaven or (b) live to see it.

To me, eschatology boils down to a few simple points: (1) There is a God. (2) Nobody on this earth is Him. (3) He wants everyone to Him. (4) His patience will eventually run out. (5) I want to be on His side when it does. :thumbsup: (6) I want ringside seats when he kicks the devil's behind!

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Where in the word from the Word does it say that the armies of the devil all turn tail and run ---- Scripture please

Friend --- they don't have time to turn tail and run --- the Captain of the Armies of Isreal is there with His sharp two edged sword --- are we talking the Valley of Megiddo here where the blood will run deep as the horses' bridles??? How can the blood be that deep if the enemy has a chance to run??

I'm not saying don't read the books --- I can no more stop anyone from reading than I can stop them from reading Dr. Seuss and his Cat in the Hat series

What I'm saying is --- read if you want --- but don't base your endless theology and timeless doctrine on trivial trilogy---I've taught through several series on endtime doctrine ---- and the first thing I find myself doing is "deprogramming" those that have been programmed by these fictional books---because the series just don't measure up to the infinite Scripture!!

Sorry----but thats just the way I see it

Your friend,
    Bro. David
    aka blackbird

19. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Double post.

#59 J.D., Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2007
  20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would rejoice if their faith is in Christ. I hope they are not putting their faith in the opinions of Tim Lahaye or Jerry Jenkins or any other speculator. Back in mid 1980's there was an "evangelist" (I use the term loosley) (I would name him if I could remember the name) that was going around telling everyone that as of January 1 1985, all the currency was going to be replaced by a world currency and this would be the mark of the beast. A lady in the shop I was working in came in one morning proclaiming that she had decided to give her life to God after listening to one of his tapes. Of course, we (the Christians there) all rejoiced in her salvation. And, as we should have expected, when January 1st came and went with no changes in the currency, she walked in after the holiday break and told that she no longer believes, and she suspected it was all a lie anyway. Her faith was not in Christ, but in some fairy tale that a man made up.

Our theology might no be perfect, but we can know that it is accurate because (1) it is based on the Bible, (2) we live it every day.

It's not an issue of patience. The issue is relationship. What is our relationship with God? He is angry with the wicked every day.

Welcome to the show. It's a daily event. God kicks the devils behind every day that the sun rises, the wind blows, the seasons change, the rain comes -- it is all ordered and sustained by God. And to top it all off, God reaches into people's hearts and imparts eternal life to them every day. He defeats the devil at all times. Oh yes, there's a day coming when the final defeat will come, but there is not one thing nor one time in which the devil can claim victory over God. If the devil would immediately cease to serve God's purposes, God would immediately destroy him. Think about it.