1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has your church excommunicated someone?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by NateT, Jun 11, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. I thought only Catholics did that

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

ex•com•mu•ni•cate \'ek-ske-"myu-ne-'kat\ vb : to cut off officially from the rites of the church — ex•com•mu•ni•ca•tion \-'myu-ne-"ka-shen\ n
    (c)2000 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. All rights reserved

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Sorry Mima,

If I compromise and water down the truth---can I stay?:smilewinkgrin:

Bro Tony

3. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

ours may kick a guy out becuase he claims to be able to prophesy but act really weird and he said himself he's been kicked out of several other curches before him....well if he continues to ask the Pastor to adopt him as his Father....

4. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Should have...yes.
    Has done it...no.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

As I understand RC theology, there is no salvation outside the RC church. (I think Vatican II may have modified that stance. RCs will know better than I about that).

By excommunicating a member, they are cutting the person off from access to salvation through the sacraments.

That's why they are called sacraments, because RCs hold that they have saving efficacy.

Baptist congregations, when they exclude,withdraw fellowship, "church," or remove a member from the roll, are not technically passing judgment on their salvation. But such action is designed to be redemptive--to bring them face to face with their sin, urge repentance, and return to the fellowship of the church they have deserted, or flagrantly offended.

6. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Baptist congregations do not pass judgment on salvation, period. You are right, the purpose of disfellowshipping is to bring the member face-to-face with their sin, hoping that they will return to full fellowship. At a previous church, years ago, our brand new pastor wanted to remove a member from the membership rolls (I won't mention the offense). The Deacons declined to let him do that. It never came to a vote of the church.