1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has your church signed up yet?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jailminister, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Where does this Passage mandate that we should legislate morality? That is something that even Timothy did not attempt to undertake.
    In America, we have this anomaly called "liberty." Liberty is defined as the right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing. Perhaps we differ yet again, but the prospect of a Christian variant of Wahhabism is something I would find abhorrent.

2. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

BIR, I see very much in the scripture that God has ORDAINED the government to inforce HIS laws. It is standards that were established by God. It has always been that way, but unfortunately it has gone the other way now. The government is now dictating immorals.

3. Baptist in Richmond

Notwithstanding this, you didn't answer my question: where does it say that we should legislate morality? As I stated, Timothy didn't try to do this, nor did the Apostle Paul. They lived in a hedonistic society not unlike our present-day environment.

4. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

I answered your question already but here it is again 1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

1Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

1Ti 1:11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust

LAWS ALWAYS DICTATE MORALITY. When a Government is ungodly, then the laws will represent what that society says is moral. Example, Hitler dictated what he says was morals. He was wrong and eventually was removed, because the rest of society said he was wrong based on their morals.

5. Baptist in Richmond

We differ as to which laws Timothy is referring....

6. Gunther

Gunther New Member

BIR, do you not know that the "law" in that passage refers to the U.S. Constitution? I am surprised at your inability to see that? :rolleyes:

Jailminister, you can't legislate morality. The government was ordained to punish the wicked and protect the innocent. Peter tells us to submit to even wicked rulers. Remember, they lived under Nero and the other insane Roman rulers.

7. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

It didn't say that--it was in the preamble, and preambles have no force of law. Furthermore, the fundamental law of the United States saysd: "This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding."

8. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Gunther, EVERY LAW LEGISLATES MORALITY.

9. Gunther

Gunther New Member

That sounds good, but the heart of man cannot be restricted. It is evil and seeks more and more evil. The law might draw a line in the sand, but it can't force the heart to do anything.

That is why we have the N.C., which God writes on the hearts of all BELIEVERS, that we can obey his law.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The purpose of law is to preserve liberty and protect society, not to dictate morality. The fact that some legislation also preserves morality (such as laws against homicide and theft) is an added bonus.

It is immoral for me to use obscenities. Yet I will not make it illegal for a man to use obscenities while in the privacy of his own home during Monday night football.

It is immoral for me to over-eat, or smoke a lot, or get drunk, since I'm damaging the temple of the Holy Spirit. Yet I would never support legislation that would make these things illegal in the rivacy of one's home.

Of course, the greater question is, who decides? We Christians say it's immoral to practice Buddhism. Would you favor making it illegal to practice it? Some Christians say it's immoral for me to (were I married) use birth control. Would you favor a law forbidding birth control? Some Christians say it's immoral to not go to church on Sunday. Should we then outlaw Judaism and Seventh Day Adventism? Some Christians say it's immoral for me not to have my son circumcised. Should circumcision be mandated by law??

11. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Gunther you are talking spiritually and I am talking about government. You are correct and I agree with the spiritual side, but as far as laws made by government, they are based on the morals of the sciety or authority.