1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hasn't BOTH Calvinism/Arminians stated original Sin is a Biblical truth?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Yeshua1, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

No, to be a servant of sin means you belong to sin just like a slave belonged to his master that purchased him in the ancient markets. It doesn't mean you are compelled to sin, a slave can disobey his master, a slave can run away from his master. But the master could contact the law and they would send men out to capture that slave and return him. You were bound till death, that was your only escape.

Paul clearly taught that Christians WERE servants to sin in Rom 6:17, but they obeyed or believed the gospel. The moment they believed the gospel they were set free from sin (sin being personified) and BECAME the servants of righteousness. Now we belong to righteousness (personified). This does not mean we are compelled to always do right, a Christian can still sin (and often does). Nevertheless, we still belong to righteousness, we have been purchased with the blood of Jesus. And no matter what you do, the gift of righteousness is eternal life.

Your nature is determined by your choices, not the other way around as Calvinism falsely teaches. This is why Jesus said to EITHER make yourself a good tree that produces good fruit, OR ELSE make yourself a corrupt tree that produces corrupt fruit. Calvinism teaches the EXACT OPPOSITE of scripture.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

Plain as day.

#21 Winman, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    j

Depends on what you mean by that.

Arminians I hang out with - do not believe that infants that die go to purgatory, or limbo or hell.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus taught that from out of our hearts, our nature, are vile and wicked things, that come out as deeds and words/actions, Jeremiah agreed with Him, do you?

And since ALL of us will choose to keep sinning even after getting saved...

Those of us now saved have HIS grace in the power and person of the Holy spirit to resist those temptations, what do the unsaved have to fight those off with?

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Most Calvinists will tell you that God will not send a baby to hell. Why not? If babies are wicked sinners just like everyone else, why shouldn't they go to hell with all the other sinners?

See, folks simply do not believe babies are sinners, even Calvinists. But they have to say they do, and then come up with some non-Biblical way to save them, teaching they are saved without faith in Jesus. One error leads to another...

No, the truth is babies are not sinners. They are not born lost as Calvinism and many other folks including Arminians teach.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

That is false, and I just showed scripture that refutes you. Jesus said to either make ourselves a good tree that produces good fruit, or else make ourselves a corrupt tree that produces corrupt fruit.

Jesus did not teach that we sin because we are slaves to sin, he taught the exact opposite, that when we choose to sin we make ourselves slaves to sin.

Jhn 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

Again, Jesus didn't teach that we sin because we are slaves to sin, he taught that when we sin we become slaves to sin.

This is easy to observe. Nobody is born with a Marlboro cigarette in their mouth, addicted to nicotine. No, it is when a man chooses to smoke cigarettes when he is not addicted, and continues to do so that he becomes addicted.

Nobody is born with a bottle of Jack Daniels in their hand. It is when a man freely drinks alcohol and continues to do so that he becomes an addicted drunk.

Nobody is born with a needle of heroin stuck in their arm. It is when men freely choose to use heroin that they become addicted.

So, your view that man must sin because he is a slave of sin not only contradicts direct scripture, but it contradicts direct observation and common experience.

But you will choose to hold to your error no matter how much evidence others show you.

#25 Winman, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We born with a sin nature that causes us to be self centered, NOT God centered, as we want to do our own things, to play God over our own lives!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an age of personal accountability for our sinning before the Lord, and God has chosen to NOT hold the sins of the babies over them...

he has chosen to elect and save those who would not know right from wrong...

NOT that they are in an innocent state, but that God decreed that provision for such as them was made in the death of the Messiah!

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Then they are NOT sinners. To be a sinner is a legal judgment, like being a felon. It is not a state of being as Calvinism falsely teaches.

Rom 3:7 For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?

This is where folks go wrong, they think being a sinner is like being a dog that must bark, or being a cat that must meow. Being "a sinner" is a legal term that simply means you have committed sin. You are guilty of trespassing one of God's laws.

No, he does not charge or impute sin to those who do not know the law.

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Our law operates the same way, if a three year old boy picked up his father's pistol and shot his sister, we do not charge him with a crime because he did not understand between right and wrong. This is exactly why God did not punish the children of the Jews in Deu 1:39;

Deu 1:39 Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it.

You are wrong again, they are completely innocent, and the scripture calls little children innocent.

Psa 106:37 Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils,
    38 And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood.

You are batting exactly .000 today. Maybe you should read the Bible and quit parroting false doctrine that others told you.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Infants have a sinful nature from birth - but they do not understand the abstract concepts like sin and salvation or the concept of faith and belief -- from birth.

I think we all agree with that. They are not choosing to not have faith - rather they do not have the capacity for faith , nor do they have the capacity to reject the will of God because they do not have the capacity to know God, to understand will, to know what it means to accept or reject etc.

They do not have the capacity to sin - for "sin is transgression of the law" 1 John 3:4 and "to the one who knows to do right and does it not -- to him it is sin" James 4:17.

yet they have a sinful nature and are in need of the Gospel - they need a Savior that "So loved the World" and that "is the atoning sacrifice for our sins and not for our sins only" - covering them.

And they have it.

in Christ,

Bob

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hasn't BOTH Calvinism/Arminians stated original Sin is a Biblical truth?

Yes (if you are speaking of classical Arminanism instead of some hybrid "quasi-Arminianism").

#30 JonC, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    depends on how you define it. Few Arminians would argue that infants will pay the sin debt of Adam.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

I disagree, Ecc 7:29 says God has made man upright, but they have sought many inventions.

Ecc 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

The word "they" points back to the word man and shows this is speaking of all men, not Adam alone. Adam is not a "they". :rolleyes:

And the word "many" shows how these men fell from being upright. It was by "many" sins or inventions, not Adam's single sin. This argues men fall by their own personal sin.

They have done no evil. There is nothing for them to repent of.

Rom 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; )

Luk 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Luk 15:29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

Babies and little infants have done no evil. They do not need to repent. They are not lost.

Mat 18:13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.

Did the Lord Jesus say nonsensical things? Did he speak of persons who cannot possibly exist? Absurd!

Now you are on the right track.

If you call free will a sin nature, YES. Satan was created perfect, yet he was able to sin. The fallen angels and Adam and Eve were "very good", yet they were able to sin. This proves two things;

#1 A sin nature is not necessary to sin.

#2 The fact someone sins does not prove they have a sin nature.

All that is required to sin is free will and a lack of faith in God.

Babies are born just like Adam and Eve were created, with a free will. When they are old enough to know between good and evil, all men will choose to sin. This does not mean they were born dead in sin, or with a sin nature.

The scriptures do not teach we are born evil. Jesus told his disciples they must be converted and become as little children (100%) to enter heaven.

Mat 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Is Jesus saying we have to become wicked little sinners to enter heaven? Ridiculous!!

Folks need to abandon the false doctrines of Augustine and believe the clear teaching of scripture.

#32 Winman, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014