1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hate crime bill passes House

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by windcatcher, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Good to know this - thanks for the info. I've never used this illustration but have heard it numerous times.

Of course, I do believe that as morals go down in the culture, that people, unlike frogs, adapt to it and eventually most go along with it. I think we have examples of this in the Bible as well as in history.

It's also true that if something is repeated often enough, people begin to either believe it or accept it.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You are right, if man had a fair sense of judgment we wouldn't need these types of laws. However, in the south a white person could hang a black person from a tree and not see one day in jail vs a black person would get killed for looking at a white woman. Since the local laws failed at justice, the feds had to pass civil rights laws.

So here we are again, I don't condone the g@y lifestyle but they are still people created by God who deserve to be treated as such. However, as long as we have people who feel the murder of a g@y person is a hoax, we need these laws.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

When was the last time that someone got off for killing a gay person simply becuase of hate? When was the last time that someone got off for killing someone of another race simply because of hate? You are living too far in the past LeBuick. Last time I checked murder was murder no matter the motive. We don't need hate crime laws. All we need is for the current laws to be enforced. Liberals love to make victims of their constituents.

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I hope you are wrong, but I fear you may be correct. We should not be surprised that the ungodly crowd will not rest until we are forced to worship God in a sound-proof, locked building for fear that any trace of God's righteous judgment on sin might reach their ears.

The one good thing about this type of legislation, might be that is separates God's preachers from the others.

5. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From Wikipedia

The boiling frog story states that a frog can be boiled alive if the water is heated slowly enough — it is said that if a frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will never jump out.

The story is generally told in a figurative context, with the upshot being that people should make themselves aware of gradual change lest they suffer a catastrophic loss.:type:

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sorry, but you still have a logical flaw. If one law isn't enforced...how does passing another law change things?

Besides...you still totally ignore how this is unconstitutional...

• Crimes of thought cannot be proven beyond reasonable doubt.
    • "Equal protection under the law" goes away with hate crimes.
    • Hate crimes can be used to religiously discriminate (hence the fierce opposition to adding "sexual orientation" to the books).
    And I keep coming back to this: If you have some psychopaths who think murdering someone based on their orientation is OK...news flash: It's already illegal.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

In addition, boiling a frog based on his race, gender, or sexual orientation is just flat out wrong.

:D

8. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Funny! Next time I will use the "BIG BANG" for illustration! :laugh:

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Simple, one set of laws are locally enforced while other laws are enforced federally. Take civil rights and the deep south, a black man could be hung from a tree and there was no white jury in the south that would ever convict them (local laws). It was finally stopped with federal laws. The civil rights act made it a federal crime which means it would be tried in federal and not local courts. That is the only way the black man found justice.

According to the constitution congress can make laws. How can any law congress makes be unconstitutional? That is the problem, you guys read one article in the constitution and totally ignore the rest.

10. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN! They are winning small battles everywhere, and the American people who know right from wrong are being harnessed and punished for doing he right.

God help us as this country is being guided and directed by satanic forces.

11. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After working in law enforcement for 23 years, I can say this:

Every violent crime could be a hate crime.
    Hate is not exclusive to any particular group.

Christians get persecuted daily by those fringe groups, and what is our recourse?

12. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, this was after they were given their sentence. G.W. Bush was asked about hate crimes regarding this case during his 2000 presidential campaign. I thought his point about them receiving the maximum penalty was well made.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Oh, that's right...congress cannot mess up.

Yet you advocate an activist court. Make up your mind.

The difference between me and you is that I read the Constitution for what it is. You read it for what you wish to make it. Being blunt, my method is better, safer, and more stable for this country than yours. It also better guarantees our freedoms.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It apparently includes protection for pedophiles also but not US Military. But what can one expect from the leftist democrats. This bill if passed into law will be used to persecute true Christians.

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Yes. It has already happened once; the beating of Rodney King.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I never said congress doesn't make mistakes, I said according to the constitution congress can make laws. Mistake or not it's still a legal law.

Obviously I disagree, you have read one or two parts of the constitution and believe that represents the entire document. I consider then entire constitution and accept it as it's written and understand it can be changed to and including taking all our freedoms. There is a thing called Martial Law that can take your freedoms in the link of an eye and it's perfectly legal.

I understand and respect your desire for freedoms but it has to be considered within the framework of the document. You must also remember we have a Representative government which means there are times you will be represented by someone whose views you don't agree with. It happens to all of us but some of us accept it like adults.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Uncalled for. I have given detailed, specific, and thought-out examples as to the problems endemic to hate-crime legislation. Name-calling is the last resort of one with a weaker argument.

18. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Where do you get this from? It does no such thing. NO protection for pedophiles, doesn't treat the military any different, and does not "persecute" Christians.

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The House of Representatives passed legislation last week to add sexual orientation and gender to the list of categories covered by federal "hate-crimes" laws.

"Pedophilia is one of the scores of sexual orientations that are included, that are protected, that are granted special preferred status under this legislation to the exclusion of other classifications of people," says Matt Barber of Liberty Counsel.

More Here

20. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

This is one of the most ignorant statements I have read on this forum. LB, please stop posting on matters like this until you've taken a remedial course on U.S. civics.

The Judicial Branch was specifically setup to provide a check against the Legislative Branch if they ever passed a law that was unconstitutional. You do understand the constitutional system of checks and balances, correct?