1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have We Forgotten How to Raise Boys Into Men?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by calebreedgordon, Oct 15, 2011.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Freeatlast - I read your articles and it sounds like the Pharisees. I've actually listened to Driscoll. Taking things out of context is common place and I guess that's how they deal with him.

Can you tell me what was offensive in that video I posted? I'd love to hear your specific issues with what Driscoll had to say there.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Ann if you do not know by listening there is no hope of you understanding even if explained.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Many others here saw it and agreed that there was nothing untoward.

Can you please be specific as to what you disagree with? Or is it that you just have a filter on and he can say "cake" and you will feel he's being blasphemous??

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Ann I understand that you are accustomed to following the crowd. I am not. As I stated if you listened to the message and did not see anything wrong then explaining it would not help you see so go for it along with the crowd (world). I choose not to. His methods are a disgrace to the calling. Actually more then a disgrace, disgusting.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I can't say what freeatlast disagrees with, but I can tell you what I disagree with. I don't find him blasphemous or foul mouthed, but it's simply a stand up routine and not preaching. I have no problem with a guy like that going around doing motivational speaking or "clean" stand up comedy, but he's not preaching by any stretch of the imagination.

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The reasons we're seeing a rise are that it is more acceptable socially, boys are craving attention from their fathers, and they are being abused.

It has nothing to do with female Sunday School teachers.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you base that only on the video link I posted, I'd agree with you. But his sermons are a good hour and solid Biblical teaching.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do not follow the crowd. I don't know why you think that. I do find that quite condescending.

I find that those who are unwilling to explain have no explanation other than a child stomping his foot saying "I don't want to!!!". I understand.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think it has to be with being abused but rather ignored. Children often are not a priority to men. The children belong to mom and it's dad's job to just bring in the money. Many men do not put their time into their children but instead ignore them. I believe that is a huge reason we see the issues today.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You just got dome telling me you followed the crowd! Not that exact statement but clearly it is what was said.

11. matt wade

You've been asked twice by annsni to to explain what is offensive in the video. If you are unwilling to do so, why don't you just stop posting? You look like more of a fool on each post that you continue to ignore the questions posted to you.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where?????

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Post 23
    "Many others here saw it and agreed that there was nothing untoward."

That is trying to justify your position by pointing to the crowd for support.

14. matt wade

A fool's lips enter into contention, and his mouth calleth for strokes.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And that says that I go along with the crowd? Interesting. I made a statement. Others agree with ME and *I* go along with the crowd?? :BangHead:

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You're exactly right. I was talking specifically about molestation, mostly by other men, which is a whole different kind of problem.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is and it's just way too sad. :( My heart breaks for so many of these kids today.

18. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

If I may respond to the op. I believe our church culture has become deeply feminized. Bible studies & sermons are more about how we feel than about what the Word says. We have grown men who are easily offended by how others dress, talk, etc. Even the church houses are decorated to be pretty. Many of the hymns even have soft "love song" music that could be in an old C & W love song. How can young men expect to become real men in such an environment?

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tim Hawkins has a great sketch on the worship songs. It's hysterical and touches on the guy/love song thing. :)

20. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

A tall order for even the most fashionable of gentlemen: High heels for men are on the rise
    By DAISY DUMAS
    Last updated at 1:53 PM on 18th October 2011

It's the last bastion of women's outerwear that hasn't been appropriated by the more fashionable men out there - until now.
    High heels are, apparently, de rigueur for men.
    To the possible chagrin of some more traditional males, those with a fashionable eye and an eccentric sensibility are taking the women's power dressing weapon of choice and making it their own.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2050300/High-heels-men-rise.html