1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you ever been ashamed to tell someone ...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Craigbythesea, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Have you ever been ashamed to tell someone that you are a Baptist?

2. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

I have heard the following, I have no source for it... maybe someone else knows of this also.

"Dr Criswell, was asked once, if he was not a Baptist what would he be?

His was reply was; "I'd be ashamed"

I am like him, after reading the Word, if I was anything other than a Baptist I would be ashamed.

God Bless

Fred

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I dunno, that implies that any non-Baptist Christian is inferior to a Baptist Christian. I think that borderlines on having a sinfully proud heart.

Denominations are not supposed to be like baseball teams, where we all wear one color and tell the other team they suck. Sorry, but Dr Criswell's reply is plain infantile.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

One shouldn't be ashamed of being Baptist, but I think in talking to an unsaved or unchurched person (maybe a backslidden believer), then the focus should be on Christ. We don't want to mislead people into thinking that one must be a Baptist to be saved, but, at the same time, must make it clear that there are people in Christian denominations who are not believers.

The vast array of denominations leads many into believing that we only think our particular denomination is correct and only people in it are saved. What I say is, what matters is our relationship to Christ and that you get into a good sound church to participate as a member of the body of Christ. Christian denominations disagree on secondary issues but agree on the essentials. I also try to let people know that Mormons are not Christians though they say they are.

The tares are among the wheat until Christ returns, and we have to do our best to witness and steer people to a sound church, and there are not that many out there, imo.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Just adding to the above....

If someone I think is not saved asks me what denomination I belong to, I say, "I am a Christian who belongs to a Baptist church. Identifying with the denomination is not primary, though it is important. What counts is that I have trusted Christ as my Savior."

6. delly

delly New Member

My answer to the initial questions is: No, I have never been ashamed to tell anyone I am a Baptist. It has never crossed my mind that anyone would think bad of me for being Baptist. In fact, I am always asking people where they go to church and I tell them where I go and invite them to my church. I've never had a bad reaction to that.

7. superdave

superdave New Member

I have been ashamed of what people said about Baptists after I told them I was one, but I am not ashamed of what I am. I am ashamed of many "Baptists" however.

We had a missionary visit our church from Serbia last week, and he said his problem in Serbia with the name Baptist is that many people equate it with the U.S. "attacks" on their country because President Clinton was a Baptist. Talk about an obstacle to overcome.

8. rufus

rufus New Member

Never Ever! [​IMG]

9. Irwin Hawkins

Irwin Hawkins New Member

I like what you said in your post Delly; it reminds me of what an old preacher(which I'm now one of)told me several years ago about another person, he said; "I know that person is saved, because I Baptized them." This came from a Southern Baptist preacher, the same denomination that I was ordained in. It disapointed me then and still does when I hear such statement. I baptized my son several years ago, but I don't know for sure if he is saved or not; I hope he is, and I pray that he is, I believed at the time I Baptized him that he had a genuine testimony for faith in Christ, but until we are all together with our LORD, and Savior we can't be positive about anyone except ourself.
    With the love Jesus gave me. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Matt. 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many ask "what type" of Baptist are you? They KNOW these famous people were Baptist, so judge you based on: </font>
    • Billy Graham</font>
    • Jimmy Carter</font>
    • Fred Phelps (God hates fags)</font>
    • Clarence Thomas</font>
    • Jerry Falwell</font>
    • Jesse Jackson</font>
    • Bill Clinton</font>
    • MLK Jr</font>
    I always tell them I'm more conservative than Falwell and that always brings :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Round here people don't ask your denomination but 'Where do y'all go to church?' Baptist is pretty much assumed. [​IMG]