1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you heard about this one?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by exscentric, Jan 13, 2006.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just ran across this - have never heard of it before.

Nate Saint Played by Gay Activist in "End of the Spear" | Jason Janz [Janz is on staff at South Sheridian Baptist in Denver]

- by Jason Janz On Jan 12, 2006 - 9:16 PM

"This past weekend marked the fiftieth anniversary of the death of five missionaries in Ecuador-Ed McCully, Jim Elliot, Peter Fleming, Nate Saint, and Roger Youderian. They died after being speared by natives on a sandy beach along the Curaray River. The story rocketed around the globe and landed on the front cover of Life magazine which included a ten-page article. If you talk to someone who was a believer at the time, it had the same effect as other events such as Kennedy’s assassination – people remember where they were when they heard the story. I heard someone at a missions conference say that the greatest flood of American missionaries to land on foreign soil did so after the deaths of these young men.

"The story is perhaps the most endearing, convicting, and popular missions story of American missions overseas over the last one hundred years. Who hasn’t heard Elliot’s motto, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose?” The story is near and dear to evangelical Christians the world over. As a young boy, I read Through Gates of Splendor and as a youth pastor, I led a group of teens in performing Bridge of Blood, a play about the lives of these five missionaries and their wives. So, you can imagine the anticipation I felt as I heard that a theatrical movie was coming out in 2006 to mark the 50th anniversary of the deaths of these heroes.

"I was given free tickets to a pastor’s preview a week ago and so on Thursday night my wife and I attended the showing. I was struggling in my spirit because my wife and I have battled thoughts of the mission field ever since our college days. We are still..." go to http://www.sharperiron.org/
    (this is a blog so look for 1-12-06 post if it isn't there.)

2. Pete

Pete New Member

I pray this actor will do some thinking about the man he is playing, read about him and his companions, that God will wake him up through it and he'll become a GOD "Activist".

It was 50 years ago last Sunday, but God's ministry through those 5 saints sure didn't end in Ecuador [​IMG]

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And I ask, so what? He's an actor, playing a part. If he's played the part well, and faithfully, then he's a good actor, and his personal interests and endeavors are of no interst in regards to the film in question.

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

I wonder what Focus on the Family will have to say about this? I notice they raised no objection to Ian McKellen being cast as Gandalf.

5. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I read the whole post on this at sharperiron blog. This is disgusting. Steve Saint should be ashamed of himself. His dad's legacy portrayed by a gay activist. It doesnt suprise me though. As I skimmed through the book that this movie is based upon all I could come up with is that
    Steve Saint is a proclaimer of the "social gospel" Whereas his dad stood so boldly and so firmly that he took a spear in the chest. Well, apples sometimes fall far from the tree, they roll down a hill and into a stream.
    I was suspect concerning this film after skimming the book and also there was a documentary about the making of this film on satelite the other night. Nobody in that hour long program made one clear reference to the Gospel. I mean they never even clearly stated just exactly why those men lost their lives. It was like they bent over backwards not to mention it. These perceptions is what made me interested as to the motive of the making of the film. Steve Saint is a business man first. If you read his background info. you'll see that clearly.
    Elisabeth Eliott shouldn't win any prizes either of late concerning her views. She is pretty much into believing Catholics don't need to be converted.
    I know I will not go to see the movie. I will do that out of respect for the Gospel as well as for the lives of those 5 men. It sure looks like Saint's son has not respect for neither.

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

I was listening to "Focus On The Family" today on the Black Mountain,NC station 106.9 (founded by Billy Graham) and they were promoting this movie and Steve Saints book heavily.I was immediately somewhat suspicious about all of it even though my heart was somewhat touched by what Steve Saint said about the loss of his dad and the others.Jim Elliot's "motto" has been burned into my heart for years and had a profound effect on me.I don't usually listen to this station due to the fact that it is far too "contemporary" for my liking and doctinally very wishy-washy.I guess that is what happens when the "church" caves into the "culture" and tries to reach the world by becoming more like them.I can turn to the local classic rock station and hear music that sounds every bit as worldly as what I have heard played on this station.I'm also NOT into women preachers and they seem to have gained a foothold on this very compromised station as well.I am saddened to hear that ungodly gay actors are being used to recreat this compelling story.Who produced this movie?? Does anybody know?

Greg Sr.

7. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I looked at FOTF's website and did not see a mention of this movie. However I don't listen to their radio shows so I can't say what they have or have not said there. However it would not surprise me in the least if they make no mention of this issue. FOTF tends to be very pragmatic about things like this. When it has the 'christian' label on it they become very liberal with what they allow. For example they, along with the larger 'christian' community, said nothing when Jackie Velasquez played a part in a somewhat questionable movie (subect matter). They also have done alot to promote the movie "Tales of Narnia" which the only difference between that and Harry Potter is that one author was a christian and one is not. Both movies contain magic (etc). However since Narnia is by CS Lewis they are supportive of it. Btw I have nothing against Narnia or Potter. I don't like those kind of movies anyway. Just making a point. So I doubt FOTF will make this guy's casting in this movie an issue. However I must think they would if it were not a 'christian' movie.

Btw I watched Chad Allen's discussion with John MacArthur on Larry King. I thought it was a very revealing exchange. I think MacArthur hit an emotional nerve with Allen. Give time, prayer, and the Word I think MacArthur might have had a major impact on this young man's life. However no 'christian' (individual or group) should support this young man because by doing so you are encouraging him straight into the fires of hell (1Cor 6:9-10, Rev 21:8). He needs the Gospel of Jesus Christ, he needs Jesus! This 'christian' production company has made a dreadful error. A 'christian' company should produce movies with christian actors (etc). Or, at the very least, with people who are friendly to christian principles.

Btw I just googled Allen's website and this movie, End of the Spear, is promoted on Allen's web-site. What I found tragic is that "Brokeback Mountain" is also promoted, as is the "2005 Queer Favorites". Also promoted on his website is "The Point Foundation" which, "provides financial support, mentoring and hope to meritorious students who are marginalized due to sexual orientation or gender identity".

I will not be supporting or watching the movie "End of the Spear". They are promoting sin.

In Christ,
    Martin [​IMG]

9. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

AMEN Bro.Martin!!!!

Well said!

Greg Sr.

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I sure am glad God gave me enough sense to let hellywood burn and myself setting my affections on things above.

11. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Who would have guessed "End of the Spear" was a christian movie by the out-takes and advertizemnts on television.

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have sent emails to the following "End of the Spear" endorsing ministries: Joyce Meyers, Kay Arthur, Dennis Rainey, and Ted Haggard.

Martin.

14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll tell you what disturbs me about this. I don't care how good an actor this guy is, as a homosexual he cannot do justice to the good husband and the manly, courageous man that Nate Saint was. An impression will be left with whoever watches this movie that missionaries are wimps.

The veteran missionaries I know (the ones who don't quit after a couple of years) are very masculine types, in obedience to 1 Cor. 16:13. Frank (a co-worker) is ex-Air Force intelligence who flew on the border of Turkey and Russia and faced death every day. He once heard a Russian pilot asking permission to shoot him down, and often landed in S. Viet Nam with bullet holes in his plane.

Dean (another co-worker) is an ex-Marine. Tom (a dear friend) is a rocket engineer (worked on the space shuttle--really!) and ex-Special Forces. The senior missionary when I first came to the field was a weight lifter and bold beyond words in witnessing for Christ.

Go back and look at "Chariots of Fire" again. The lines for Eric Liddell were strong, but the actor just wasn't up to it. The real Eric ended up dying for Jesus Christ in a Japanese prison camp in China. Now there was a real man!

15. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

17. StraightAndNarrow

In my view, the character of Eric liddell was played exceptionally well in Chariot's of Fire.
    That movie was for me one of the best christian movies ever made because it made such a strong point for living the christian life no matter what the cost. Of course the character of Eric Liddell was central to that message.

18. StraightAndNarrow

19. mioque

mioque New Member

Quite a contrast with the Roman Catholic missionaries I've known. The usual type being mild mannered priests and nuns who had no prior career before going into missions.

20. standingfirminChrist

The portrayal of Nate Saint by a Homosexual is another attempt by the gay community to justify their sins. If they can get cheers for the portrayal in the movie, they can say God uses the homosexual too, and loves him just the way as he is.

Deceiving and being deceived.