1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you met anyone over 6 who has never heard of Jesus?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Sep 15, 2005.

?
  1. Yes - I met someone who had never, ever heard anything at all about Jesus.

100.0%
  2. No - I knew people who didn't know much, or people who knew a lot, but they all heard somethign abou

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Yes, many deaf children have never heard of Jesus!

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Mexdeaf,

That is an interesting point. In my area, the majority of deaf intepretors are people working with the churches.

Bapmom,

I do agree that if the definition of "gospel preaching" is sticking to scritpure, that this country lacks a great deal in the way of churches. Sadly, some of the largest "churches" in the world don't preach the gospel.

I worry that many, many, many Baptists churches don't teach the message of salvation. They teach all kinds of things, for 1 to 1.5 hours, and then they say, "If you aren't saved, listen to God, and step out into the aisle, we'll pray with you."

Give me a church that focuses a bit more on God and a bit less on "doctorine."

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think the poll is a bit misleading, though unintentional. Most people I know have "heard of" Jesus. But that does not mean that they have successfully heard the Gospel.

We incorrectly presume that, just because there's a steeple on every corner, everyone who passes by must therefore had a comprehension of the Gospel.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Johnv,

The fact remains, if they have heard of Jesus Christ, in any way, any shape, or any form, we cannot make the claim that the gospel never reached that region.

When we talk about spreading the message of Christ someone almost always says, "But what about people born in places where they have never heard of him!"

The fact is, they HAVE heard of Him. I know Muslims who know the story of Christ better than kids born and raised in "Christian" churches in the US. I know this because the Muslims will ask why Christians act so differently from what they teach.

Wasn't it Ghandi who said he agreed with Christ, but couldn't stand Christians?

They hear the message.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Two things:

1 - I've heard about the supercolliding superconductor, but have no real grasp of what it really is.

2 - Just because the Gospel is in a given "region" doesn't mean that the general population has a grasp pf what the Gospel is.

I'm sure they do. But those people are not our concern. Each of us is responsible for sharing the Gospel in the manner, and only in the manner, that the Holy Spirit leads us.

"Hearing of" is not equal to knowing or understanding.

I'd beg to differ. Muslim thought does not comprehend the concept of the Trinity, nor does it comprehend the idea of Jesus being the SOn of God (Messiah, yes, Son of GOd, no.)
    Gandhi was a universalist, who did not have a full understanding of Christ. If he did, then he would have abandoned polytheism. Don't get me wrong, I have no right to judge Gandhi's salvation, and indeed, I believe Gandhi to be a great and wise man whom I respect greatly, but he by no means knew Christ or his teachings as we do.

And, btw, there are many Christians who agree with Christ but can't stand some Christians, often rightly so.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think the problem is not that they don't teach the message of salvation, I think the problem is that this message is all they teach. The Gospel of Christ is not just salvation. It's feed the poor, clothe the naked, love never fails, God cares for you, blessed are they, etc.
    I concur with you here.

7. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I've met some children in Romania on mission trips that have not heard about Jesus.

In America, I don't think so.

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

The fact that Ghandi was a universalist is irrelevant. He voiced a very common opinion about Christians, and the fact is, we as Christians need to stop and consider that opinion.

What we say, what we do affects the way others perceive the message we give.

The bible tells us, many times, that we must behave in a way that does not offend and thus give people reason to ignore the message of Christ.

John-V, I agree with you, almost. Unfortunately some of these huge churches never actually give the message of the salvation anymore. I don't know why. It has worried me for years. Keep in mind, I'm not referring to Baptist Churches. I can honestly say I've never seen a Baptist Minister fail to give the message of salvation.

Brother Ian, I am sad to hear what you have shared, but knowing what I know about Romania, I do not doubt what you shared.

9. patrick

patrick New Member

I worked with a 21 old guy about seven years ago and he didn't have a clue. He was led to Christ after a lot of explenation of the Gospel.

10 year old boy right down the road from my house met him while coaching upward basketball. He asked me who Jesus was. I told him and today he is a follwer.

17 year high school senior. He was muslim and he did not who Jesus was. He does now.

Don't let the devil fool you there are many who don't know Jesus and their concept of God is naive at best.

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I've lived in all over Asia and there were many who never heard of Jesus.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I've met several in the USA that did not know "who" Jesus was.

That is not to mean that they did not know what Christmas was, nor does it mean that they were telling the truth.