1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you picked up your cross?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by James_Newman, Feb 15, 2005.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Matthew 10:37-39
    (37) He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
    (38) And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
    (39) He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Matthew 16:24-27
    (24) Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
    (25) For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
    (26) For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Mark 8:34-35
    (34) And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
    (35) For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

Luke 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

I think there is a difference between being a disciple and being a believer. A disciple is one who follows Jesus, bearing his own cross. While Christ promised that whoever believed in Him would be raised up on the last day, I believe there is more for those who will truly be His disciples.

Revelation 3:4-5
    (4) Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
    (5) He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

How do we know if we have picked up our cross? If we have not, will he say 'Depart from me, I never knew you?'

Phi 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

I don't think this is a denying of self like is spoken of in Colossians:
    Col 2:23 Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will-worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honor to the satisfying of the flesh.

But rather a denying of self to put others and Christ's kingdom first.

Mark 10:43-45
    (43) But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:
    (44) And whosoever of you will be the chiefest shall be servant of all.
    (45) For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Is this how we pick up our cross, by ministering to others? I think this may be it.

Just something I am looking at in the word, thought I would get some input. I'm sure this has been preached upon many times.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I have heard preachers say that this is taking on all of the responsibilities of being a Christian, whether it be witnessing or becoming a martyr.

This is no way applies a "works" salvation and if you don't pick up your cross, just like in the real world someone else will have to help with the burdeon that you are not carrying.

Just my thoughts and what I have heard.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally see both sides. I go through phases where I read, study and meditate day and night and then see that I am neglecting my family, my mind is so occupied that I don’t perform well running my business at times. The bible says let us not be weary in well doings for in due season we shall reap if we faint not, and I wonder sometimes rather or not He considers this well doing, or not.

I do think there are different mansions in heaven and I hope I’m not there just to mow the grass after receiving the good and bad.

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

It is far too common today for a proclaiming Christian to assert that if you do not follow Christ's command to pick up your cross and follow Him you are still saved and that anyone who believes in the "cost of decipleship" believes in a works based salvation.

Personally, I don't accept this. Jesus said:

1) Pick up your bed and walk,
    2) Give all that you have to the poor,
    3) Pick up your cross and follow me,
    4) Come and follow me.

The strongest point is made in the Mathew 24 Judgement scene.

Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
    Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
    Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
    Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.
    Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Decipleship is demanded of all Christians. It's not an option, somthing that can be done by someone else if we won't do it. We're not talking about an extra star in our crown. We're talking about our eternal destiny.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Your saying that everyone has a cross to bear, and if we don't bear it, someone else will have to bear it for us? I don't know if that's the case. God has called us to pick up the cross ourselves. We may be able to help bear others burdens, or them help us bear ours, but we must pick up our own cross. Really, I think bearing the burdens of others is part of picking up our own cross. If others are constantly having to bear our burdens, we probably havent picked up our cross yet.

2Co 4:10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
    2Co 4:11 For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.

I believe this being delivered unto death is speaking of that bearing the cross, crucifying our flesh. As you said, this is not speaking of our positional salvation through Jesus' blood, we cannot save ourselves by dying for our sins. We have already been saved. But by dying to our selves daily, and allowing Christ to live through us, we become partakers with Him, not only of His suffering, but also of His inheritance.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
    Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
    Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.