1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you read the Bible straight through?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by natters, Aug 11, 2004.

?
  1. Yes, more than once

65.2%
  2. Yes, once

12.1%
  3. No, but by bouncing around I've probably read every verse

21.2%
  4. No

1.5%
  5. unsure/other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. natters

natters New Member

Have you read the entire Bible straight through - Genesis 1:1 to Re 22:21, in order?

2. ralb

ralb New Member

I started to but sometime in Chronicles I got distracted by something in another portion of the bible and did not get back to where I left off.

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I've read the Bible straight through five times. Each time is was a bit easier and Holy Spirit illuminated more and more; however, recently, I've started reading 3 chapters in Genesis, 3 chapters in Psalms, and 3 chapters in Matthew and continuing on till I finish whole Bible. I believe we need a little variety.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

No and I've never tried. I read the O.T. straight through in a college class but when I began the N.T. I had obtained a study Bible and kept moving around.

I do not think it important to read it in exact order. I would recommend everyone start with John and the Romans if new to scripture.

Diane

5. Tangent

Tangent New Member

I do it every two or three years, each time in a different translation. I'd like to read all the major versions eventually. That's the only way you can judge them fairly, in my opinion. Many Bible reading schedules mix OT and NT passages on each day, but I prefer to read the books in order. One year I read the books in their probable chronological sequence (with the help of some commentaries), but otherwise I just read them in their canonical order.

6. Eutychus

Eutychus Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I decided to read through the Bible each year, beginning last year, I'm up to Ezekiel 22 this year. I will have read from Genesis to Revelation four times by the end of this year. That's not very impressive considering that I've been a believer since 1967.

My understanding and perspective has been quite different compared to the countless piecemeal studies that I have done. I think I'm much more likely to catch inconsistencies in some of the odd doctrines based on limited passages that I come across in some forums.

7. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Twice each year from a different translation. I have now read ten translations. I guess I'm funny, but I really don't get a whole lot out of reading the bible a "little here, a little there". I like to read it completely and in context. For me, the Spirit has revealed so much more to me, reading it that way.

8. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

When I got saved in '95 I read the NIV New Testament. Then year or two later I tried to read the KJV New testament but I only got through the gospels and a few chapters in Acts. In '98 I began to read the NIV through I finished in late 2000. I was given an NASB on my birthday in November '00. In '01 and '02 I read it. Then I found out about annual Bible reading schedules so last year I read the NASB in a year. This year I'm reading the KJV next year it will the be ESV or HCSB. I think I'll do the NKJV in 'O7.

9. paulsfocus

paulsfocus New Member

I have once and am going through it again.
    My dad has a hard time, he gets cross referencing other scriptures and can't find his way back to where he started.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I just started a couple of weeks ago. Who said you can only start on 1 Jan? OK, if someone can find that in the Bible, I will only start the beginign of the year :D

11. AdrianDavila

AdrianDavila New Member

I've done it twice...The first time with a KJV, and the second with an NLT. It could be difficult at times, especially when you are in books like Leviticus, 1&2 Chronicles, etc. where there are a lot of lists and info about weights and items and things of that nature, but I had to grit my teeth and remember that there are lessons to be learned even in those passages.

12. Dina

Dina New Member

I tend to read it thru every few years with a Bible that is already split up to be read in a year.

13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I've read it Gen-Rev two or three times. However, I do read through the NT every year. If I'm a good boy it takes less than a full year. So I get to start over in Matthew in late November.

My goal is to be throughly grounded in what the NT says. Alot of times, something comes up and I scratch my head. The position sounds good but I know there is another passage that throws a different light on it. So, out comes my concordence and/or On-line Bible gets fired up. It's kinda like how the Secret Service trains its anti-counterfeiting unit. They don't turn them loose on bogus bills at the start of training. First, they put the trainee into a room with a desk and chair. Then they dump a box of real currency on the desk. For the next few hours, the trainee is expected to familiarize him/herself with every sensory aspect of the currency. This process is repeated over the next week or so. Then, the trainees are allowed to look at the false bills.

14. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I have read through the Bible at least twice before that I can remember and am currently starting again. [​IMG]

Blessings

Followinghim

15. natters

natters New Member

Whoa, deja vu. Look at the date I originally started this poll.

16. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Yes, I have read the Bible through many times.

No it's not important to read it from front to back (in that order) because it's not in chronological order.

18. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I read through the New Testament all the time. It is much easier to read than a lot of the Old Testament.

I think everyone should read Matthew at east every 2 months.

I have read it straight through, from Genesis to Revelation a few times, and it is illuminating.

You miss a great deal of the bible when you read selected passages because a lot of passages are almost never selected.

How many of you who haven't read it all have read the minor prophets?

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I have read through the Bible several times. I noticed that the implication in the poll and in the question are a little different.

I do not focus on reading through Genesis to Revelation uninterrupted. I do not focus on this order because it is artificial any way. I do focus on reading entire books in a single setting when they are shorter.

I need to get back to work on reading the OT in Hebrew. That is a slow go.

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't believe a person will go to hell if they don't read it straight through.