1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HCSB Illustrated Study Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by webdog, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I can't speak for this particular study Bible but the web page makes it sound pretty good. I have been a fan of the HCSB since it first came out, although it isn't my favorite vesion. Sounds like a pretty good investment to me.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Actually Lifeway has it on sale right now. I looked through one a couple of weeks ago and I really liked it.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Can you tell me what you like and don't like about the HCSB? I think there have been threads on it, but I can't recall the info. Also, at the time I was not considering buying that version, but since I saw that this illustrated Bible came out as HCSB, I got interested.

What do you all think of the HCSB translation/version?

5. A&I

A&I New Member

Hcsb

I like the HCSB .I have a thin line leather one and a hardback .I wish Zondervan would put one out with their notes .

6. Tony Holland

Tony Holland New Member

Just bought this Bible today. So far, so good. The illustrations aren't overly distracting, the print is very readable, and I enjoy the HCSB translation very much. It's accurate and very readable.....just as easy as the NIV.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the feedback, I think I will order it this week.

How much did you pay...and where?

Besides the illustrations and notes before each book, are there study notes as well?

8. Tony Holland

Tony Holland New Member

Hi there....I picked it up at Mardels for $45.00. This was during a one day sale where everything was 25% off so regular price was like 59.00. This was the bonded leather indexed version. The hardback was on sale for $30.00 before the 25% discount.

Not a lot of study notes that I have seen so far. Very good detail at the beginning of each book, but not much along the way. This is a good thing for me as those tend to distract me when I am just trying to read the word.

9. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

I wish it had cross references. It seems every time I find a study bible i like, it lacks cross references. Oh well! My favorite is the New Scofield NKJV. I like the notes even though I'm only a small "d" dispensationalist and I like the verse divisions as opposed to paragraph division. I find it hard for some reason to preach from a paragraph bible.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am sorry it doesn't have cross-references. I guess the main draw are the illustrations? I am considering getting it.

Amazon has the hardback thumb indexed version for $32.99 and you get free 2 day shipping if you order. I think the bonded leather with thumb index is about $44, and the bonded leather without thumb index is about $37, but you can check to make sure. CBD has it as well and I think the prices are similar though I can't recall for sure.

The thing is, I just bought an archeological study bible that I like, although it's NIV and NIV is not my favorite version.

I'm still trying to find out about the HCSB version - it is dynamic like the NIV or more like the NASB? I thought I had read on this forum at one time that it was like the NKJV. Is that right? What version is it closest to, would you all say?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's unique, I think. Some parts read like the NKJV or ESV...some like the NIV, and some like the NLT. I think they stated it was "optimal" equivalence...a blend of word for word and thought for thought given the context. I'm ordering this Bible tonight. I'll check out Amazon. CBD's doesn't ship until 11/30.

*just ordered it. 37.79 with free shipping for the bonded leather without index (index is for lazy people :D ). CBD was 39.99 not including shipping.

#11 webdog, Oct 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2006
  12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Great - let us know what you think of it! :wavey:

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I received the Bible in the mail yesterday. I like the introductions before each book, and the illustrations throughout. There are no study notes. This was something I really lacked in contextually studying Scripture. I always looked at the intended audience, the message, and the immediate setting, but never the cultural, historical context or setting. I'm sure I'm not alone, there. I think knowing the historical and cultural aspects of Scripture is very important. Take the churches in Revelation. This will help me understand why Christ said what He said to them even further.

I like how the introduction of the illustrated HCSB said it. Like a Shakespeare play, you can have the actors reciting their lines in a empty warehouse, and get a vague understanding of what is going on...but with a fully decked out stage, the intent of the play comes into focus a little clearer.

14. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I looked at this Bible at a bookstore the other day and I thought the color pictures were distracting... they show through the back of pages as dark shapes (the paper is rather thin).

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The pictures do show through a little bit, but to me I wouldn't say it is distracting. Maybe the light in the bookstore enhanced it. The pages are actually a lot thicker than I imagined they would be. I have some Bibles where they are almost like tissue paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.