1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Headstart

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Borneol

Borneol New Member

I didn't have a chance to watch the showing, but thought John Stossel had a nice take on Head Start from the other day.

"The Government Can't Give Kids a Head Start"

snippet from the article:

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/s...nment-cant-give-kids-head-start#ixzz1ra7F8AND

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Wonder if the study was controlled for income. When I started school I knew what reading was about and my numbers. I have an almost 2 year old grandkid that knows the numbers and some words. These days there is probably close to zero chance that half the inner city kids learn their alphabet or numbers at home.

Taking a pre-school kid from a small, specialized class to and a standard overcrowded class must be like jumping a junior high kid to a college lecture hall with 1000 kids.

If the Right Wingers can hold legal title to slaves, then they will grow an ignorant slave class.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I would say that this isn't because the Headstart program doesn't work. The studies even show it does give the kids a better START. The problem is with drop off in support of the kids that do benefit.

A lot of the kids in the program come from families that have a hard time or for other reasons aren't providing their kids with what they need to enter into school with the same level of benefits that other kids have.

If those families never do offer that, it stands to reason that when they lack that support at home, they're going to start falling behind again pretty soon. A supplemental program might help with that.

What programs like this do is basically provide kids with the supportive teaching that parents aren't giving them. That's a good thing. It just isn't followed through with parents who never do step up for whatever reason...whether inability or no desire to. That's when many kids start going downhill in their studies unless they have the desire/type of personality that drives them to do it on their own without much outside support.

I can't see doing away with the program. It really does help prepare the kids for the classroom, they enjoy it, it helps the kindergarten teachers be better able to do their job, etc. And in a number of cases, it gives kids a safe place to be and a bit of food in their bellies. It's surprising just how many kids don't get that at home.

5. targus

targus New Member

Naahh... the libs already have a lock on the plantation class.

They keep them there with welfare and call them Democrat voters.