1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Healing by Faith

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brother Bob, May 4, 2006.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

A member of our church had a massive heart attack and suffered serious damage to one half his heart. The doctor put in a stint (sp?) and said that he needed another, but would have to wait until he was stronger to do the second one. I asked the elders of our church to come forward and to lay hands on Larry and to pray for God to heal him. We also asked for the Lord's will to be done. When it came time for Larry's second stint, the doctor said he could not explain it but that there was no sign of a previous heart attack. He said that Larry's heart was completely healed and simply could not explain it. Larry told the doctor that he could explain it. We have had other miracles occur also. I do firmly believe in the power of prayer and healing. I also believe that for some it is simply not God's will for them to be healed. Spiritual healing is the miracle we need to pray for.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I don't have a problem with laying on of hands. I do think a lot of Baptists shy away from it because it smacks of charismatism. Maybe someone has some scripture to justify it, but I also don't know of any passage that prohibits it.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hebrews, chapter 6
    "1": Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

"2": Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

"3": And this will we do, if God permit.

Just one of several.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks, Brother Bob, I had forgotten that one.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Friends,

I jsut eyewitnessed such a healing. A suporting pastor was in the hospital, went in with pneumonia, docs did prelim tests, found his heart was enlarged, part was dead and had a blockage in one artery. On Saturday, I went to visit him and prayed for him and with him that the Lord would remove the blockage and when the final tests were run that the docs would find nothing. Today they did an arteiorgram (SP?) and they found a perfectly healthy heart.

He went home today with a 100% CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH.

Ain't God GOOD!

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

8. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I've wondered why all Baptist churches don't do this...
    The first Baptist church I was a member of when I was a new Christian, brought people up that needed prayer, laying hands on them, anointing with oil. That's the only Baptist church I have seen it. You see scripture says it so I never understood why they don't.
    I do believe in healing if it's God's will. I've seen instant healing once, not cancer or anything major like that but it was tremendous to see anyway. My husband had the flu and he felt terrible, we prayed and instantly, it was gone. We were shocked let me tell you. lol My husband spent all night praising God. I don't know why God did that and hasn't healed other things with him and others... Maybe to show us His Power and how awesome He is. I know I'll never forget it.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, this guy had pneumonia; if they did the unspecified "prelim tests," why? And his heart was enlarged-- how much? For medical people here-- is it uncommon to have an 'enlarged heart' at time of disease such as pneumonia? And what are the effects of having used penicillin, or whatever medication was utilized? You don't say he went to the hospital for heart problems, but you imply it was for his pneumonia. I'm no medical expert, but would a disease such as pneumonia not 'tax' the heart, especially with certain risk factors? But pneumonia and heart trouble, and he was out of the hospital so quickly? without normal medical protocol and observation?
    [ed.: I don't know that it was so 'quickly,' since you only say you went to visit him Saturday (not that he had just gone in) and he was out Monday; nevertheless, if he was in longer, that does make it less 'miraculous'.]

Finally, "100% CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH" is a quote from WHO? Him? If so, I've heard patients say such things which had little meaning, certainly not the technical meaning such a term should really indicate.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Doubting Thomas?

12. Servent

Servent Member

I also have some pretty neat hardware in my back, Before my surgery I could not walk very far at all, and none whitout the aid of a cane, before the surgery our church laid hands on me and prayed for myself and the doc. that was 6 years ago, Im back at work with no problems.

13. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

We're all going to die of something, that's for sure!

I agree that God does sometimes exercise miraculous healing power, of which He is always capable.

But I think when we pray for the sick we are praying for their comfort and well-being - but not necessarily for a miraculous cure. Jesus healed many - but they all died one day. Not all of us are going to live to see 80. That is life. If we pray specifically for miraculous healing in all cases are we not sometimes praying against God's will?

I think the prayer for the sick includes a petition that God bring them physical well-being IF it is His will - and in all cases that He give them spiritual peace.

As a physician I can tell you first hand that I have seen many many good Christian men and women diagnosed with terrible illnesses. Most have died despite many fervent prayers for their recovery. That is part of living in a sinful world. Indeed our reward is heavenly. If we are overly focused on getting physically better are we not perhaps holding on too tight to this earthly life?

Just some thoughts.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We none say that we are not going to die of something. I have had 2 open heart, 2 neck artieres cleaned, double hyneria but still thing God has extended my life out from prayer for a reason. I indeed do think we can pray for specifics for I have seen it happen many times. I also have seen them die anyway but that is not to say God didn't hear our prayer for when the body gets so sick we just can't stay here anymore and to die is a miracle in itself for it lets us enter into that rest. Just believe what the Lord says about if any be sick among you let him call in the Elders to pray for him. It really works and if you are a physician you surely have seen it before for I have seen physicians marvel at what has happened. Blessings,
    BBob

15. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Bob,

I don't doubt that God does heal. But I don't think we are to read this verse as saying that the laying of hands WILL effect a miraculous healing. We pray that God's will be done, knowing not whether that will is for a cure or not.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Oh, but it does too. Not the laying on of hands that is just doing what God commanded us to do but God answers prayers and especially the laying on of hands and praying for God to heal. I certainly don't believe in the Benny Henn type of prayer but do it in meekness and sometimes silently so as not to be a show but just a sincere prayer.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If this were a "miracle" you would not have needed any 'doc.' But just 6 years and you're back at work with no problems? Yee-haw!

It's been over 8 years since I had a hip replacement. Maybe it's too bad nobody laid their dirty hands on me or the orthopedist, or I might have cut that 10 weeks off work in half. There were a bunch of prayers-- people told me-- but there is no evidence they accomplshed anything whatsoever. That confirmed what I already knew, and I don't pray for health concerns, for myself, or anyone, and I have no intention of starting.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I feel sorry for you Alcott;
    You are missing a many blessing by having those kind of thoughts. I am worried about you and will pray that God will ease your thoughts and pain in your heart. I am sorry about your hip replacement and know you probably suffer a lot of pain at night from it.
    I too have health problems. I have had 2 open heart surgeries, 2 neck artery surgeries and a double hernia surgery with mesh put in my stomach to hold my insides in. I still give God the praise for what I have left. Half of my heart is dead now and I too hurt all night long. I will forever praise the Lord for he let me live to see my children grow and to take care of my loving wife of 45 years. I am now 67 years old and ever how long I have left I will never cease praising the Lord for delivering me through all that surgery and pain everyday. One day you and I can rest without pain and be with the Lord forever. Do you know that death is a miracle itself. When you can't stand the pain anymore, the Lord lets us die. And to die in the Lord is gain. May God truly bless you Alcott and your family,
    BBob

19. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

A friend of mine had a massive Heart attack, flew to UT, Knoxville, a scan revealed two-three blockages, he was put on blood thinner, send home until he could be scheduled in,

He said he prayed, "lord this will put a hardship on my family, me not working, I'd appreciate your help".

Reporting back to the hospital, the day before the operation, he was scanned again to plan the operation, send to his room, in a little while the doctor came to his room and informed him the scan didn't reveal any blockages, and since there was nothing to operate on, he could go back home.

After about 8 years he's still working, healthy as a bear.

20. standingfirminChrist

JV James 5:13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.
    JV James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

The Bible exhorts us to pray when we are afflicted, to call for the elders of the church when we are sick for the laying on of hands.

I remember in 1996 when I was in a wheelchair. Doctors said I would never walk again; that I would be in that chair for the rest of my life.

I was in it for four months. I told the Lord I could not stand on my own (I had tried many times during those four months, only to be picked up off of the floor and put back in that chair).

I asked God to hold me up. He did and has continued to hold me by His Almighty hand. I have gone in the doctor's office many times since then, and in the hospital as well, when they could not understand how I am able to walk around. I let them know it is God who keeps me on my feet.

The truth is, prayers are important in the christian's life. God wants His children to communicate with Him.

I showed how James 5 exhorts us to pray in our afflictions and in sickness. I would even go as far as saying we are commanded to pray in those instances and exercise our faith.