1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heard of Ian Paisley?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by pawn raider, Jul 25, 2002.

1. pawn raider

pawn raider Member

Have anyone here heard of Dr. Ian Paisley and if so what do you think of him? I've heard that he is a staunch defender of biblical Protestantism and does not shy from calling the Pope an anti-christ.

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I've heard way too much of him.

[ July 25, 2002, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

3. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Sadly, it all goes downhill from there.

He's a thug. David Duke with a funny accent.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Talk about a hate-filled site full of misinformation. No wonder it is posted by T2U, a staunch Catholic. Give Paisley some credit for standing up for what he believes. He is a fundamentalist. I may not agree with everything he believes and does, but he is not a thug. He does fight for freedom of religion, something the Catholics in that part of the world are opposed to.
    DHK

6. Lucilius

Lucilius Guest

Only thing I remember about Ian Paisley is that he once got thrown out of the European Parliament for standing up and announcing that the Pope was the Whore of Babylon :D the representatives from Catholic nations weren't best pleased.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yup! The Catholics are never much pleased with what he has to say. They weren't with the likes of Knox or Luther either.
    DHK

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Since you sent me a private message but won't accept mine...

You said:

Look, you asked what I thought of Ian Paisley. I told you what I thought of Ian Paisley. What's the problem?

In all fairness, I do want to apologize to David Duke. After all, he's had the guts to repent of his past racist and violent behavior. Paisley hasn't.

I understand you'd rather PM but, evidently, you're not set up to recieve PM's

[ July 25, 2002, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

10. trying2understand

Talk about a hate-filled site full of misinformation. No wonder it is posted by T2U, a staunch Catholic. Give Paisley some credit for standing up for what he believes. He is a fundamentalist. I may not agree with everything he believes and does, but he is not a thug. He does fight for freedom of religion, something the Catholics in that part of the world are opposed to.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]Why don't you offer some detail as to the "misinformation" provided by that site.

If some thing there is not true, simply demonstrate it.

BTW, do you prefer your Catholics lukewarm? Thanks for the compliment.

11. trying2understand

The following is cut and pasted from Paisley's website.

"The Common School supplies a very important means of acting beneficially on the public mind. That school was a mighty power for good in Scotland in the days of the Reformation; but that it may be so again it must be carried on by men of the same ethereal spirit-men wise in heart and full of holy fervour, fervent lovers of the truth, and intense haters of the Man of Sin. Such men will not be satisfied with the mere routine reading of the Holy Scriptures in the school; but, like the associates of Nehemiah, they will "give the sense," and cause the boys "to understand the reading." Such men will do well, at proper times, to give the scholars set addresses on subjects connected with Popery and Protestantism.

There are many touching facts, incidents, and narratives which may be worked up into very effective discourses. The tale of its crimes, cruelties, and abominations will not be lost on the tender sensibilities of the young. Every schoolmaster, before his appointment, should be subjected to a rigorous examination as to his qualification for this part of his office, which should be considered vital."

Where is the freedom of religion in the system of education that he is calling for?

BTW, you have it backwards, in his part of the world, Catholics are in the minority and are perscuted by the likes of Paisley or at his encouragement.

[ July 26, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: trying2understand ]

12. pawn raider

pawn raider Member

Usually I don't like participating in tit for tat but where is such freedom in RC schools? Public schools were condemned by the RC church! I heard of an athletic coach loosing his job with a RC school because he converted to protestantism! Let's get back on the subject people.

13. trying2understand

Public schools were condemned? I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Getting back on the subject, what do you know about Paisley? Are you aware of any controversy or scandal about him?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

15. trying2understand

DHK, you seem to have things turned upsidedown.

Paisley is in power. He is the one persecuting Catholics. Not the other way around.

You made the statement that he is fighting for freedom of religion, but what he is actually doing is just the opposite. He is advocating state sponsored religion to be taught in public schools. He is advocating using pulic schools to indoctinate children into his beliefs.

On another note, I don't see much love in your post. You seem to wish to hurt my feelings. That's ok, I forgive you.

Ron

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Ron,
    I may not understand all the politics involved. I know that the Protestants in the north, who are in the minority of the entire population of all of Ireland, simply want to live in peace in their own land. That is too much to ask from the Catholics who want it all. That may be oversimplifying, but that is how I see it. Here is an interesting quote:

A priest by the name of Watson was quoted in The Spectator of January 22, 1972:

"How do you bring a Unionist Government to its knees unless you bomb them out? [...] There are many who believe it's the only way it can be done. [...] The hierarchy's in a mess, but in their heart of hearts they believe violence is justified."

--The IRA is an unjustified Catholic terrorist organization, for which there is no excuse.

You can read more history at:
    http://www.ianpaisley.org/article.asp?ArtKey=treatment
    DHK

17. trying2understand

DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]DHK, rather than changing the topic to the IRA let's talk about Paisley.

What on the site which I provided is "misinformation"?

At this point it seems that you are defending the guy simply because he is a "fundamentalist".

18. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I think most American fundamentalists see Paisley as a hateful bigot.

The IRA is no better, of course. And there are Catholic priests as evil as Paisley.

The decent people are trying now to put the province back together. Paisley and the IRA have no place in this.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

20. trying2understand

DHK, again, what exactly is the "misinformation"?

To repeat your accusation, now adding the words "inaccuracies" and "lies", is not answering the question.

Please, answer the question, "What misinformation?"